Date: 27-04-24  Time: 12:17 pm

Author Topic: From wednesday we can use our bikes again.  (Read 6110 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: From wednesday we can use our bikes again.
« Reply #75 on: 16 May 2020, 01:32:34 pm »

If you you want to keep using it, change the oil/filter with OE spec and keep the receipts as proof, ride it.  Any dealership will have a very hard job of trying to refuse warranty due to the current situation, if fact to get manufactures warranty you only have to prove it's been serviced correctly, not that they did it.   
Hopefully I won’t need to make any warranty claims.  However, if I just do my own thing when it comes to servicing, I don’t suppose my dealer will be too interested in helping me.

Dealers are businesses not charities. 

One way or another I don’t think I’ll have to wait too long for my 600mile service.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 16 May 2020, 01:59:31 pm »
Hopefully I won’t need to make any warranty claims.  However, if I just do my own thing when it comes to servicing, I don’t suppose my dealer will be too interested in helping me.

Dealers are businesses not charities. 

It's not about them being charities, the manufacturer gives the warranty, the stealer gets paid to repair it but they can't make money at it, fixed cost to replace/repair that's why they don't like doing warranty work they can' fiddle it and it take up workshops slot on a job they can.  Providing you service the bike with OE spec filters/oils etc and to the service intervals, they can't refuse a warranty claim within the manufactures warranty period. 

Warranties really only count for finish (paint etc) and mechanical failure, one of the biggest scams in the motor trade is extended warranties, just about everything that's likely to fail in normal use isn't covered. 

Even lease where all service parts labour are included they still make a lot on money, mainly car world this, believe me they're not charities.         
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 16 May 2020, 02:24:57 pm »
Providing you service the bike with OE spec filters/oils etc and to the service intervals, they can't refuse a warranty claim within the manufactures warranty period. 
Yep, one of our independent Triumph mechanics has cleared that with Triumph. Record the date/miles and keep the genuine parts receipts and you're covered

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 16 May 2020, 02:34:35 pm »
 I didn’t mention this to start an argument.
the manufacturer gives the warranty
Manufactures generally concern themselves with manufacturing.  They appoint agents/distributers/importers, call them what you will, to distribute/sell/maintain their products in various markets round the globe.  The importer provides the warranty.

The approved importer appoints dealers.

Bear in mind that the importer is generally as a business independent of the manufacturer.  Likewise, the dealers as businesses are independent from the importers.  But of course, they are all working to the contracts that they have agreed. 

So the dealer must provide facilities, training and service to the standards stipulated by the importer.

Providing you service the bike with OE spec filters/oils etc and to the service intervals, they can't refuse a warranty claim within the manufactures warranty period. 
The law states that if you have your vehicle serviced by a suitably qualified motorcycle mechanic (so that rules me out) and that you follow the manufacturers service schedule using only recommended parts then the importer must honour the warranty that they have provided (that is assuming you purchased a vehicle supplied by them)

But the reality is, that if having serviced your bike outside of the dealer network, you then try to make a warranty claim, the chances are they will refer you to the fella that did the servicing.  In other words they will tell you to fuck off as they don’t consider you their customer – and understandably so.

So no doubt you will then point out to them that they are breaking the law. To which they will tell you to go fuck off and apply the law. 

If you contact the importer they won’t be interested, as their interest is in you using the dealer network that they set up to sell their bikes and protect their interests. 

So good luck to anybody who thinks they can take on the might of the approved importer and dealer network in the courts.

So in short no, I would never advise anybody who has just bought a new car or bike to do their own servicing, or to have the servicing carried outwith the importers approved dealer network.  In law your warranty may be valid, but in practise may find you have rendered it worthless.

So my first step will be to contact my Motorrad dealer to see if they can help me out with my service.

Phew!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 16 May 2020, 03:55:37 pm »
If your dealer can't service it because they're closed and you can't get a local shop/mechanic to do it for you.

At present neither is possible, hence me saying do it yourself.  Changing it yourself will be acceptable providing you use a OE spec filter and oil and do it correctly.  They can't then refuse to give you warranty, they have to prove the work caused the damage or contribute to it i.e. your paint on the engine cases starts to flake due to corrosion, common fault with BMW's. They wouldn't get away with just voided your warranty because they're were closed and you couldn't get any other shop to carry out the work as they were closed too. 

It's unreasonable, they would be constructively denying you use of your property.  I'm not saying they wouldn't try but if you want to use your bike to get to work and due to the current situation, I'd say BMW isn't going to work you over, not good PR and I think the law will support you. 

Of course if your not confidant in doing it, or you don't need the bike for work, I guess you've got to wait.   :(

Note: you don't have to use BMW oil or filter just that they're are OE spec, same with air fliters, brake pads/fluid, bulbs, tyres etc they just must match OE spec.  Engine, frame, ignition parts are different you must use there's if you want to maintain warranty.   
Later

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 16 May 2020, 04:11:17 pm »

If your dealer can't service it because they're closed and you can't get a local shop/mechanic to do it for you.
I haven’t contacted them yet.
At present neither is possible, hence me saying do it yourself.
I will find out what is possible, or not, when I contact them.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 16 May 2020, 04:20:30 pm »
I haven’t contacted them yet.
At present neither is possible, hence me saying do it yourself.
I will find out what is possible, or not, when I contact them.

Good luck with that.  :)
Later

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 16 May 2020, 05:55:19 pm »

your bike can be serviced anywhere (the government stopped dealerships from having exclusivity) as long as genuine makers parts are used, the warranty is still valid--that's the law.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 16 May 2020, 06:29:55 pm »
your bike can be serviced anywhere (the government stopped dealerships from having exclusivity) as long as genuine makers parts are used, the warranty is still valid--that's the law.
That is indeed European Law.  And it has been the case for a great many years.
But as I pointed out in my reply #78, what the law says, and what happens in practise can be quite different.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 17 May 2020, 06:05:09 pm »
Foccing el people. I just read zillion of posts here and I am none the wiser as to shall we do ride outs now or not? :lol

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 17 May 2020, 06:28:20 pm »
And probably none the wiser as to where to take your bike for a service. :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 17 May 2020, 07:22:53 pm »
Well I've been taking full advantage of being able to use my bike my bike for leisure again. Just short of 100 miles on my MT09 on Wednesday, then another 70 on Thursday.
Took my sons Street Triple 675 R out on Friday for a short run , great brakes and suspension but uncomfortable as hell, bars are too flat and pegs too high, just felt sat on top of bike and not in it, much prefer my MT09.
Had a go on his KTM 390, if I had to commute through town / city I would choose something like this, nice punchy  torquey engine, very light and chuckable, so easy to ride .

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 17 May 2020, 07:27:11 pm »
VNA, have a look at this link, may answer some of your questions about your BMW warranty.
https://www.discover.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/ownership/service-repairs-warranty-covid

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 17 May 2020, 07:47:35 pm »

VNA, have a look at this link, may answer some of your questions about your BMW warranty.
https://www.discover.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/ownership/service-repairs-warranty-covid
Cheers Slappy.
For any BMW motorcycle that is due a 600 mile running-in service during this period we have extended the mileage allowance to 1,200 miles (2,000km).
I thought they might do something like that.  Not that keen on the idea.  I'll try and get of somebody tomorrow. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 18 May 2020, 11:54:40 am »
Bike will be getting serviced next Tuesday. :)   

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 18 May 2020, 06:41:57 pm »

I love the look of that KTM. A really good looking bike, brilliant styling job to my eye.
is it clean enough?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 19 May 2020, 07:52:08 pm »

I love the look of that KTM. A really good looking bike, brilliant styling job to my eye.

The styling is brilliant I agree, too many of modern motorcycles seem to have been designed to the same templates, this template is for sports bikes, this template is for cruisers etc.
The only thing that really let's it down is the quality of the fasteners  the bike is one year old, garaged , only used in good weather and has only covered 1000 miles and the state of the fasteners is terrible. When get time I will replace them all with stainless from the local nut and bolt supplier.