Date: 02-05-24  Time: 03:04 am

Author Topic: Fractured Radius Bone - Would you Scooter It ???  (Read 4502 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Fractured Radius Bone - Would you Scooter It ???
« on: 04 January 2014, 11:43:12 pm »
Hiya fellas, as per title again.

Went ice skating with the kids yesterday, arse over tit a few times and landed on me left hand more than once in pretty much the same way as if you have an off and stick your hand down. Result - extended fracture of left Radius bone. Had a "back slab" cast fitted this morning and back to fracture clinic next friday for full cast.

Problem - commute 50 miles each way to Canary Wharf & whilst the car is an auto it's also over 200Bhp and will give about 25mpg average + parking charges + congestion. Biking it saves me £800/month, I'm self employed and the cast could be on for 7 weeks from now and then time for hand to get back to life for the clutch operation.

I'm aware that the insurance may not cough if I have an issue but looking at a 250 Burgman for the 2 months - then sell it on.

Anyone been in a similar position ? Can you ride a scooter with a modest left hand grip factor?

Never ridden any scooter so not sure what to expect.

Any advice as always appreciated, even if it's to call me a tw@ for even considering a scooter.

Cheers

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Fractured Radius Bone - Would you Scooter It ???
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
Erm, you're a twat for riding a scooter?  :lol

Sorry. The person to ask is Nick Crisp, one side of his body isn't as tough as the other, and he manages his Thou OK.

Having ridden a scooter (albeit only a 50cc round Simi), the first thing you notice is it feels wobblier. Smaller wheels, less gyroscopic force, less inherent stabilty. And the foot position feels weird. Apart from that, one gets used to it pretty quick (although sharp corners provide some brown trouser moments!).

Get well soon!
The Deef's apprentice

Noj

• DAS Born Again
  • Psych on a Bike.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2014, 12:06:08 am »
6 to 8 weeks for fracture to fix and the same to rehab, post cast remove, this can be shortened by following Dr guidance and abstaining from alcohol and smoking, but truth it's just time.

Car is best option in my opinion, as you won't get insurance on bike or the car, but you won't have to learn to ride a small wheeled scooter in slippery conditions, the probability of accident on a bike/scooter while your learning to ride it one handles is greater then a car that you know, (200bhp or 2000 it has a volume control) You pay your money and take your chance.

Car and don't get stopped or have an accident (cause one). It may cost more but you will live to fight another day and recoup your losses over time.

trpFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2014, 12:26:13 am »
Hi Frosties, I was unfortunate to fracture my radial head in my right arm in early Nov 2012 following an off and started riding again in mid Feb 2013. Although I felt ok to ride, I didn't really regain strength until about September following regular physio sessions and even then my arm was still painful. I did not have a plaster as with my fracture position I was advised that it was better to avoid if possible to enable maximum movement when healed. As it is now I have lost about 10% movement and can no longer straighten my arm fully. Hopefully your  fracture is less obtrusive and I guess if it is the radius rather than the radial head it may not effect the twisting motion quite as much. Hope you recover soon. I would stick to the car until you feel strong enough.
Rich

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2014, 12:38:11 am »
Erm, you're a twat for riding a scooter?  :lol

:lol :lol  I know.........

6 to 8 weeks for fracture to fix and the same to rehab, post cast remove,   

Shite!! :eek  Looking at 4 months then - feck it! Good shout on better the devil you know vs learning to ride a scoot tho

Hi Frosties, I was unfortunate to fracture my radial head in my right arm in early Nov 2012 following an off and started riding again in mid Feb 2013. Although I felt ok to ride, I didn't really regain strength until about September following regular physio sessions and even then my arm was still painful. I did not have a plaster as with my fracture

Radius fracture near wrist. Even feckin longer with no bike by sounds of it!!

Bloody kids...."Can we go ice skating dad, can we...huh,huh" 

Noj

• DAS Born Again
  • Psych on a Bike.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2014, 01:28:13 am »
Good luck with the recovery! You may be lucky and once it's healed you may find you gain mobility quicker, best not to rush it as it often slows progress/recovery.

Slow steady!

Could be worse, could be summer!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2014, 05:54:47 am »
(although sharp corners provide some brown trouser moments!).

Get well soon!
Didn't realise the ZX400G was a scooter, but hey ho  :lol

Instead of buying a 250 scooter to then sell on  why not go for a cheap small engine car to tide you over and drive below the congestion zone. You'd still have parking to sort but I'm sure with a little investigation and inconvenience you may find a cheap may be free place to park up just outside the area

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2014, 08:23:10 am »
ive never ridden a scooter either...cant be that hard  :rolleyes ....get yourself down a dealer and have a test ride and see how you get on  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2014, 08:39:08 am »
Riding an automatic scooter still requires use of left arm for braking & ,in the absence of a fuel tank to grip with your knees,-all your cornering/steering is going to be done with the upper half of your body. What do the medics advise about recovery/physio?
If theres any doubt about your "being in full control"-go for the economy 4-wheeler-remember there are insurance/licence implications if you have any physical impairment-In the unfortunate event of an "off"-would they pay out or say you were in breach of contract?!

spencer_foxwell

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2014, 08:54:48 am »
If I were you I would just get a crappy old diesel shopping car for a few months. Even that is gonna be a lot nicer to go to work in that a bike in this weather or a scooter  :eek

Only problem is traffic being a pain in the arse.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2014, 09:37:32 am »
I would strongly advise against it Frosties. Even if it feels ok, you will be putting strain on the fracture which may mean it does not heal correctly, causing further issues in the future. I cracked a scaphoid (small bone in wrist) in a similar "hand out to break fall" accident and was told the thumb needed to be immobilised for six weeks otherwise the above situation could occur.

Don't ever ride a scooter for any reason! It's just not worth the lowering of your self esteem!  :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2014, 09:55:42 am »
You've got to be careful if you get pulled by plod too. If he says your struggling with the control of the vehicle, either car or bike, you could end up getting a ticket. (not in proper control of a motor vehicle).
Heaven forbid if you had a bump too. The insurance company possibly won't pay out, and you just know they'll try and put the blame wholeheartedly on you.
Maybe try getting a letter off your GP saying your fit to drive might be a bit of insurance ;D

Whatever you do bud, get well soon, and hope your back to full function for the summer!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2014, 11:53:40 am »
Same thoughts as me by a few of you - little dink or a tug by old bill then probably stuffed by them and definite shafting by insurance. But need to work to pull the sheckles in so driving it is. May have a look at the private bays people in flats etc with no cars offer for rent - sometimes less than a tenner!

Been looker at a diesel shitter as an option to reduce costs, how does this grab you - yes i'm deadly serious  :lol :lol

[/size][size=78%]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191015010476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size]

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2014, 12:13:32 pm »
why a 250 burgman --- have you seen these up close ---there huge, get a smaller lighter 125- city riding all you need
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2014, 12:24:40 pm »
Been looker at a diesel shitter as an option to reduce costs, how does this grab you - yes i'm deadly serious  :lol :lol
God that's horrible!  And that coming from a man who has, in the past, owned 5 Citroen DS's and 2 CX's.  One thought though, if it's your left arm, wouldn't an auto be a better idea?  A lot less strain on the left leg in traffic too.  I drive into London most days in a manual works Astra and my left leg is killing me on the days the A12 is buggered.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2014, 12:36:53 pm »
God that's horrible!  And that coming from a man who has, in the past, owned 5 Citroen DS's and 2 CX's.  One thought though, if it's your left arm, wouldn't an auto be a better idea?  A lot less strain on the left leg in traffic too.  I drive into London most days in a manual works Astra and my left leg is killing me on the days the A12 is buggered.

:lol :lol It's rough as fook isn't it  :lol :lol

I tend to park up by 6.45am ish and don't leave till 7pm so clutch pumping not much of an issue - just use the torque! Also, a diesel auto is a lot more to pay for a temporary car which will also rob mpg - needs to be a ZX auto or similar to make viable.

Any other shitter auto diesels come to mind?

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 January 2014, 12:45:06 pm »
A mate sold a 52 plate Citroen C5 2.2HDi auto on Gumtree for 500 notes recently.  It had 12 months ticket about a weeks tax and was bought by a Lithuanian guy who was taking it over there to be stripped and sold as spares.  He reckoned it would be worth at least 2 grand as a pile of bits!  It might be worth looking for something a bit newer, you never know.  My father has just sold a Kia Carens diesel he'd had from new and it only went for 2 grand for a 56 plate, I've seen 51-02 plate ones for the same sort of money you are looking at for that BX.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2014, 06:56:31 pm »
Many thanks for that fella, keep forgetting about Gumtree.

Have asked some more Q's about the 406, ZX and the '52 plate Mondy.

Cheers

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2014, 07:43:56 pm »
My dad had an almost identical 406 except it was the GLX trim an a T reg - the engine for that was bullet proof and he always said it was one of the comfiest cars he'd owned. Pretty sure it had over 200k on the clock when it was sold on and was still running perfectly then :) Lots of memories of that car

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2014, 07:54:35 pm »
ive got a mk3 mondeo as my Cage. ive had it 3 years and put 60k miles on it, and besides maintenance and a couple of boost hoses going, its been faultless.

I did have the clutch and flywheel changed when I bought it though as the flywheels do go after a time - expensive!

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2014, 09:37:48 pm »
(although sharp corners provide some brown trouser moments!).

Get well soon!
Didn't realise the ZX400G was a scooter, but hey ho  :lol

Instead of buying a 250 scooter to then sell on  why not go for a cheap small engine car to tide you over and drive below the congestion zone. You'd still have parking to sort but I'm sure with a little investigation and inconvenience you may find a cheap may be free place to park up just outside the area

Canary Wharf is a couple of miles outside the congestion zone.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2014, 11:14:12 am »
stating the obvious here.......what about the bus?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2014, 06:29:22 pm »

I don't think he should be driving a bus with a broken wrist  :lol

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2014, 10:58:50 pm »

I don't think he should be driving a bus with a broken wrist  :lol

:eek :rollin :lol
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"