Date: 28-04-24  Time: 17:02 pm

Author Topic: My nightmare continues; this time it's the carbs  (Read 1434 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
My nightmare continues; this time it's the carbs
« on: 28 July 2014, 08:41:22 pm »
I've been hounded by problems the last few weeks, it started with my sidelights not working due to a wire coming out of the ignition, sorted that. Throttle cable stick and not returning, think I've solved that. Checked my cam chain tensioner and found it was missing the 2 ball bearings, managed to source these, sorted that. Now I've put it back together gone to start and noticed petrol peeing out of the number 1 carb (left hand side as sat on bike).

Now when I had the carbs off I decided to open up the carb to give a little clean. I only ended up doing the number 1 carb because of a combination of soft metal screws and ridiculously tight screws. They were pretty focced by the previous owner but most of them are looking a little worse for wear now. I put it back together and like a tool that I am decided that "nah the gasket will be fine", it's not. I'm pretty sure that'so where the petrol is leaking :(

So I've learnt an important lesson always change gaskets and whatever the foc happens don't bother if the screw starts slipping.

I've now got to source some new screws for the carburettor and gaskets. I've seen some on ebay, but I'm honestly starting to lose interest at the moment. Feel like just getting second hand carbs and putting them in save the hassle.

Any tips on getting rounded and very tight screws out? I seen something in halfords called shock and unlock, any good?

Even though I've had a nightmare I've learnt some new skills on the bike though to be fair so I'll try to stay positive :)

keratos

Re: My nightmare continues; this time it's the carbs
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2014, 09:01:39 pm »
I bought a Milwakee impact driver and a set of bits designed for small screws AND also designed for impact drivers  - otherwise the screw will be stripped.

tight screws, bolts, fasteners have never been a problem since, but used to be and many screws stripped/rounded off; not any more.

p.s. IMPORTANT - I NEVER use the driver to refit the screws; rather I use delicate tools or torque wrenches as appropriate.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2014, 09:02:45 pm by keratos »

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2014, 09:08:40 pm »
Good shout I'll order one now.

keratos

« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2014, 09:13:12 pm »
I have two; a 12V,  and 24V the latter for big jobs around the home and garden (like deck framing, joists etc.), the former is a small tool ideal for fiddly "delicate" jobs and I use it a lot on my bike. So I would propose you opt for a 12V.
http://www.powertools-direct.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12161880

Not cheap but totally reliable and very frequently used around the bike for rusty screws, bolts and fasterners and tight stubborn items. Did a great job of extracting rusty old brittle exhaust manifold studs on another bike ;)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2014, 11:32:31 pm by keratos »

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2014, 01:47:05 pm »
I assumed you was referring to the impact screwdrivers that you hammer the top with. Gonna just get one of these for now been spending too much on parts at the moment, never mind tools the Mrs will have my balls  :'(

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2014, 02:05:36 pm »
Anybody have any recommendations on what to use to clean the carbs?

keratos

« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2014, 02:18:23 pm »
Anybody have any recommendations on what to use to clean the carbs?
Er..carb cleaner, comes in spray cans. If not, then paraffin to prevent seals from erosian.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2014, 03:02:58 pm »
You can try the quick way, STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner works quite well.
Half a bottle per full tank of fuel, obviously over 2 tanks.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.