Date: 25-05-24  Time: 22:45 pm

Author Topic: N103 Pinlock Fogging Up  (Read 2557 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
N103 Pinlock Fogging Up
« on: 28 March 2014, 11:25:07 am »
Hey, I've got a Nolan N103 helmet with the pinlock insert but with the visor closed it still fogs up if it's raining it gets pretty bad and then the rain gets in there when I open the visor and I'm screwed. I changed my pinlock a couple of months ago in the hope it would solve it. I thought Pinlock was supposed to be the shizzle! I don't find the airflow paarticulary good in the N103 but wouldn't have thought it'd fog up like this. Anybody have the same helmet or same problem with pinlock?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: N103 Pinlock Fogging Up
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2014, 12:04:48 pm »
I have the N103 as well. My pjnlock was fogging up for a time, but I found it wasn't sealing properly all the way round. I cleaned my visor and replaced the pinlock with a new pinlock and seal and the problem hasn't returned.

A good seal is essential in stopping the pinlock fogging up.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2014, 01:32:39 pm »
I've taken mine apart yo dry while I'm in work. I always struggle to get the seal really tight, I must be doing something wrong with the screws I think.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2014, 01:35:10 pm »
I wouldn't say that Pinlocks are 'the shizzle'. I commute about 75miles every day and the last two I had lasted around 6 weeks. The Fog city inserts last about 3 months or so but are more prone to scratching than Pinlocks. I'm not really a huge fan of either insert btw, I'm always aware of the edge in my periphery vision and it bugs me.
 When the pinlocks steam up there is usually no way of repairing them, but it's bad luck you had a new one go.
For the last 6 months or so I've been back on the Fairy Liquid, properly applied it works well enough.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2014, 01:50:41 pm »
If adjusting the pins doesn't work (like on mine when my mate's daughter bust them) I found running a bead of clear gasket sealant round it and gluing it in place did the trick.
Never had a problem since.

My fucking glasses on the other hand..........  :\
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2014, 02:07:03 pm »
They do need gently cleaning every now and then, then as everyone else has said need to check the seal is properly sealed all the way around, adjust the mounting screws as necessary to tighten the seal
Some say...

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2014, 04:11:15 pm »
My n103 never fogs up, it's one of the newer inserts with a silicone bead around the edge. My old one had no seal, it didn't fog up but it scratched my visor over time. Also I have always had issues with water dribbling down the inside, REALLY annoying.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2014, 04:23:00 pm »
I thought about putting some silicone on mine instead of the bead the beads not really wide enough to get a good seal in my opinion. I'll try again with these stupid screws.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2014, 04:40:28 pm »
I sympathize fella, had exactly the same issue with a spanking new Schuberth C3 last November - it had 3 new pinlocks fitted, helmet back to Schuberth and still ended up the same....pinlock fogs on the outside surface, not inbetween it and the visor, rain running down inside, lift visor and more rain comes in.

Changed it for a Shoei GT Air with pinlock and have had no issues at all...none.....nada!!!

Conclusion..........some helmets are shite  :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2014, 05:44:42 pm »
Just put it back in, we'll see how we get on with trip home. I'm not too hopeful as the fog I'm getting is on the inside (nearest my face) on the pinlock itself.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2014, 08:03:22 am »
Just put it back in, we'll see how we get on with trip home. I'm not too hopeful as the fog I'm getting is on the inside (nearest my face) on the pinlock itself.

Which means the insert needs cleaning!
Let me Google that for you-
http://www.pinlock.nl/motor/original-5/
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2014, 09:09:07 am »
We have had pinlock inserts and visors returned as faulty because:

Protective film not removed from one or the other and then used like that  :eek

Pinlock fitted back-to-front  :eek :eek

I kid you not!!  :lol

Most people try to fit the inserts without flexing flat(ish) the visor - so they either bugger up the insert on the pin cutaways, or the insert does not then seat properly. DO follow the instructions!

Don't think any of these are the OPs problem, but as Stiggy points out, the insert may need cleaning. Be sensible about it - NO abrasives  :rolleyes
Nothing more than warm water and a soft cloth should be needed.

Inserts do also come back as genuinely faulty from time to time - most commonly the stick-on ones, which don't stick, poor adhesive. The post mounted ones occasionally have a seal that is not applied very well.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2014, 09:55:45 am »
Hey, I've got a Nolan N103 helmet with the pinlock insert but with the visor closed it still fogs up if it's raining it gets pretty bad and then the rain gets in there when I open the visor and I'm screwed. I changed my pinlock a couple of months ago in the hope it would solve it. I thought Pinlock was supposed to be the shizzle! I don't find the airflow paarticulary good in the N103 but wouldn't have thought it'd fog up like this. Anybody have the same helmet or same problem with pinlock?

Does the visor have the silicon bead around it?
http://www.racevisors.co.uk/product/accessories-pinlock-nolan-N103

If not, get the on with the silicon bead all around the insert edge and make sure the pins are adjusted correctly. If you have it too tight, it will squash the silicon bead. Too loose and it wont be airtight. So fit it looser and breath on it to make sure its airtight then tighten gradually.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2014, 09:56:48 am by Phil »

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 March 2014, 01:48:59 pm »
Run the corner of a piece of paper around it (I use a post it note). You should not be able to get the paper through the bead anywhere. If you can its not properly sealed.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 March 2014, 02:19:08 pm »
Run the corner of a piece of paper around it (I use a post it note). You should not be able to get the paper through the bead anywhere. If you can its not properly sealed.

Top idea.