Date: 09-05-24  Time: 16:33 pm

Author Topic: Insensitive reporting  (Read 4923 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Insensitive reporting
« on: 03 August 2015, 09:18:54 pm »
maybe shoulda put this on the "what gets my goat"

Heres the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33755093

For a start i will say that it is sad that anyone has died on the roads whether they are riding a bike or driving a car. After all many bikers also drive cars and many car drivers also ride bikes.

I think we all know how much "extra" fun can be had from biking but that is down to the individual and in my experience there are probably more absolute loons out there driving cars than riding bikes...

...riding a bike requires a tad extra brain power and resources that the pond scum of this little island wouldnt quite be able to master......plus the pond scum cant fit 10 mates, 2 dogs and a kilo of smack on a motorbike can they........

But 3 people died in Wales alone yesterday while out on their bikes and im really pissed off with this report from the BBC for the following reasons:-

- A 53 year old biker collided with a BMW......eh...hang on a second...surely that's a bit premature to be deciding who collided with who here....the poor bugger aint even cold yet and the bbc have decided who hit who....surely it was an impact and ok ill confess that i'm guessing here that the biker didnt smack straight into a stationary car although i suppose if a car pulls out on you and then slams on the brakes then technically they will then be stationary so you could then say that the bike hit the car........but how dare they be privvy or even guess on those facts so soon after the incident without a thorough accident investigation report...........so anyway if both vehicles were moving though then it gets a bit more complicated doesnt it so why are they putting across such an anti biker report still.

- One rider was riding a "high powered" Yamaha motorbike.......WTF!!!!......the incident could have happened at 30mph FFS!!!.....what relevance does power have to this story........what about the vague "BMW" car that was involved......last time i checked BMW werent exactly under powering their cars.....when was the last time you were cut up by a 1.1 litre BMW or straight bit getawayedyouaintgettingpassedme'd by a 1.3 litre N/A BMW.....never....because they are all pretty high powered.....yet already the BBC have decided that the power of the bike was to blame.....bunch of FUNTS!!!!

then there is a highly educational video about how so called "born again bikers" within the category of the poor bugger that has died.......and how they are basically more dangerous according to statistics.........oy oy oy...stop the foccing bus.....who said that this guy was born again????....for a start he aint foccin jesus!!!.....and for seconds...just because he is 53 doesnt mean that he is a so called born again biker does it......maybe he has been riding since he was 12 and hasnt actually stopped once....maybe he is a proffesional foccing TT rider for all they know that hasnt had a single year away from bikes......again how dare they imply all this shit.

ill openly admit that im a twat sometimes......last couple of days i was a twat the odd time and i feel bad about it and im gonna learn by it......but im probably just as much a twat in the car....if i went the same roads for the same miles...just for fun.....gonna be sunny...cant wait to do 500 miles in the car through wales just for the crack......which i wouldnt....but thats not the point is it...but anyway it isnt the bike that makes me a twat.

same thing happened last year.........100 car crashes in the brecons.....hardly a mention.....every one that involved a bike....highly publicised with an anti bike bias.

just does my tits in thats all.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2015, 10:55:12 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Insensitive reporting
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2015, 10:14:52 pm »
Very intresting 77 times more likely to be injured than in a car, only been in one car crash where both cars were written off, I was driving a 1957 Ford Anglia doing around 30mph and hit a 1966 Anglia doing about the same on an unmarked crossroad, no one was injured (although if it happened today we would all claim injuries) no one was wearing seat belts no air bags deployed, lol. had 2 bike crashes where I hit a car and was injured in both, chucked the bike down the road a few times and slightly hurt each time.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2015, 10:36:27 pm »
I started biking at 17 stopped using a bike at 24, returned to biking and have been riding again now for over 8 years, so would I be referred to as a born again? If so would it be derogatory.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2015, 10:50:24 pm »
Totally agree with everything you've said Noggy, total bias- hackneyed, sensationalist, trite journalism!
I'd let these idiot bbc journo's know how you feel, you can copy and paste what you've wrote here-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/contact-us/editorial

Even the BBC don't let the facts get in the way of a 'good' story :grumble

« Last Edit: 03 August 2015, 10:52:50 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2015, 10:52:57 pm »
I started biking at 17 stopped using a bike at 24, returned to biking and have been riding again now for over 8 years, so would I be referred to as a born again? If so would it be derogatory.

I would say that it would be.....you may feel differently.

I personally dont like the label as i think it has started off as a term used by bikers such as the likes of "cage" and "power rangers" etc etc as a bit of in house or in magazines biker gossip basically but has now become so mainstream that the BBC is regurtitating it & using it against us....by all means use the statistics but i think all that it really means with these shitty name tags is "those who can afford them" or those who "got a life again" or " too focced up to play sport & drugs no longer appealed to get their kicks"........there are so many individual reasons for riding a bike.

I dont hear too much about cyclists colliding with cars although allot of them are killed on the roads each year....no fancy words for being born again cyclists for example

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2015, 11:00:57 pm »
Ban cars from may Bank holiday weekend until September,

Simples!
Some say...

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2015, 11:46:25 pm »
Think the object of the report was to raise awareness as to how vunerable we are. What was wrong with term collided with a car. He hit a car or a car hit him it is still a collision.
Why as bikers do we usually blame the other fucker.
If it had been the Sun news rag my opinion may be different.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2015, 12:05:54 am »
Think the object of the report was to raise awareness as to how vunerable we are. What was wrong with term collided with a car. He hit a car or a car hit him it is still a collision.
Why as bikers do we usually blame the other fucker.
If it had been the Sun news rag my opinion may be different.
Lew

A tree & car could also be a collision though Lew...........but you wouldnt usually be inclined to assume that the tree collided with the car on a sunny, still day......you would assume that the car hit the tree......so likewise they have assumed perhaps that the bike hit the car......but i seriously doubt that they know the facts so are just making stuff up.

I never said that i blamed the car drivers.....but i like facts....had there been any eye witness reports mentioned then that may have swayed me and gave more credibility to the reporting but this report just stinks to me of patronising, one sided quickly cobbled together tripe and i bet they dont report again on it when the actual real report is finished and concluded by the authorities either.......they never do.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2015, 12:27:49 am »
It's only headlines Noggy as three fatalities in a weekend is bad, and if it has an impact for those who ride and drive (Think Bike) helps to create more awareness between bikers  & cagers all to the good.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2015, 12:29:21 am »
It didn't seem anti-bike to me... anti-bikers-getting-killed perhaps, but so am I.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2015, 08:32:32 am »
Ok ill admit that video in itself isnt too bad as a stand alone bit of statistics but it just got my goat a bit that the blame seemed to be getting pointed at the bikers already thats all. The use of "high powered" was completely irrelevant if not to imply that that the power was a factor in the death as they didnt mention "low powered" on the other 2 bikes.

Simply saying be safer is bit long in the tooth. Id much rather they fully reported on the outcome of the investigstions ie who did what & at what speed & what it led to.....that for me would be really educational

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2015, 08:35:59 am »
Haven't the press always been insensitive ?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2015, 09:36:35 am »
To be fair to the BBC, BBC South news recently reported a crash fairly locally to here where two cars collided and at least two were killed. No bikes involved. Although I do agree that generally bike crashes are given an unfavourable light when reported, and bikes are made out to be particularly dangerous in the public eye. Even the police are often guilty of this. I wonder if it was the police who sparked this report to the BBC in this instance, as they are currently on a bit of a campaign in Wales to highlight "bike safety" and the dangers of speeding.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2015, 11:56:32 am »
To be fair to the BBC, BBC South news recently reported a crash fairly locally to here where two cars collided and at least two were killed. No bikes involved. Although I do agree that generally bike crashes are given an unfavourable light when reported, and bikes are made out to be particularly dangerous in the public eye. Even the police are often guilty of this. I wonder if it was the police who sparked this report to the BBC in this instance, as they are currently on a bit of a campaign in Wales to highlight "bike safety" and the dangers of speeding.

Whilst I agree with Noggy on the shite reporting, you could have nailed the reasoning there Nick.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2015, 12:19:42 pm »
The BBC are as guilty of bias and trite journalism imo, they're all guilty to a greater or lesser degree.
I now watch channel 4 news is my preferred choice, along with https://www.rt.com/ for a global perspective
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2015, 01:11:28 pm »
North Wales police have always been targeting bikers, not that I agree with them but at sometimes of the year North Wales is a play ground for a few nutters that get the rest of us good boys a bad name.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2015, 01:49:51 pm »
The BBC are as guilty of bias and trite journalism imo, they're all guilty to a greater or lesser degree.
I now watch channel 4 news is my preferred choice, along with https://www.rt.com/ for a global perspective
Can you give us a link to Channel 4 News' reporting of the incidents for comparison? (I can't find it.)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2015, 03:17:27 pm »
Hi Fazerider, I can't find one either . . . it's maybe too local for national news show.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2015, 03:37:40 pm by celticdog »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2015, 03:49:34 pm »
Fecking BMW had to be involved.  :grumble
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2015, 03:57:45 pm »
at sometimes of the year North Wales is a play ground for a few nutters that get the rest of us good boys a bad name.
It is always like that especially on Sundays. That is why North Wales Police target places like the Horseshoe Pass up to the Ponderosa and over to Llangollen. These are places to be avoided because like Lew said, these are places favoured by the nutters.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 August 2015, 07:03:49 am »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 August 2015, 09:00:03 am »
Im with you nogster I am sick of BBC lazy bias reporting, bike collided with a car like you say who is to say it was that way around, they should of said a bike and a car collided, and yes why mention high power bike the bbc are against bikes, the day marquez won motogp 2nd time it was nowhere on the bbc news but they managed to report the results of the GB womens netball team.
 Oh oh I am mistaken they did report bbc radio on motorbike racing Casey Stoner but only because it was a crash - bikes in bad light again but the lazy dumb twats called him Casey STONEY.

celticdog I also watch  RT for the news that bbc dosnt report, like bbc will have a line saying scuffles at a anti whatever rally (no footage) and turn to RT to see footage of a full blown riot going on. Although RT is just as bias but the other way around its almost funny sometimes they were set up as a response to anti Russian reporting by mainstream news media and show every bad western story they can find and then a Russian story about a cute baby bear cub. So I watch bbc news and then RT and somwhere in the middle may be nearer the truth.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2015, 09:45:31 am »
BBC South carried a brief report on BSB Thruxton in their sports report.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2015, 10:16:07 pm »
the press have always slagged of motorcyclists.................

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2015, 10:38:41 pm »
I think it has been coined by Fazersharp as lazy reporting which id agree with......bbc news is pretty boring but you do expect a certain level of proffesionalism from them not usually seen on the likes of daily mail website for example......when they start churning out stuff like this without being careful about the wording then it gets irritating.

So not long before bbc will have celebrity gossip on the website too then, celebrities, soaps & scaremongering.

This is more factual and to the point by them though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-33797080
« Last Edit: 05 August 2015, 10:50:45 pm by noggythenog »