Date: 20-05-24  Time: 23:16 pm

Author Topic: Formula One pays just £1million corporation tax on £300million profit  (Read 5732 times)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
C'MON HAMILTON!!!!!!! Be great to see him in webbers seat.

Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
As as I've said I'm happy to pay my tax, but not when Bernie and his chums don't have to.
I'm not happy to pay mine and I respect anyone that finds a way of avoiding paying theirs.  Let's face it, none of us would pay tax if we could avoid it.  I know the money to run the country has to come from somewhere but we all pay VAT on everything we buy, we pay fuel duty, we pay road tax that is supposed to pay for the roads but doesn't, we pay National Insurance that should pay for the NHS but what goes in and what comes out don't add up, we pay council tax to support our local infrastructure but if you add up how much we all pay and then how much your local council has in it's budget, that doesn't add up either.  Not to mention the extortionate additional tax those of us that smoke pay into the Government coffers too.

Lewis doesn't need a Red Bull, he's quite capable of beating them in what he has!

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
I read an article in my local newspaper a week or so back. It cost the regional government in Valencia Spain £35 million pounds /Euros to run the GP last year of which £€27 million was paid to that little weasel Ecilstone. as usual more gets more.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I read an article in my local newspaper a week or so back. It cost the regional government in Valencia Spain £35 million pounds /Euros to run the GP last year of which £€27 million was paid to that little weasel Ecilstone. as usual more gets more.
Lew
What the hell was the Government doing paying for it?  The normal way it is run is that the circuit pays for the privilege of hosting a GP and get their money back from the paying punters who go to watch.  You can't blame Bernie if the circuit can't do their sums, they agreed the price in the first place and if they need the Government to bail them out then it might go some way to explain why the Spanish economy is in the state it is. 

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

Isn't the Valencia F1 race run on a street circuit?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Isn't the Valencia F1 race run on a street circuit?

Just copied this from Wikepedia,
Would appear Bernie is a man of honour just like the Politicians he was dealing with, :rollin :rollin  Must admit though I did not know it was a street circuit.
Being a street citcuit I assume would explain the reasoning why the regional government got involved , what the article did fail to mention was what income the event pumped into the local economy, and that you will never find out as the Spanish are masters at  not paying there taxes if they can avoid it.
The deal to host the Valencia race was signed on June 1, 2007, and is for seven years.[10] The deal was made between Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the Valmor Sport group, which is led by former motorcycle rider Jorge Martinez Aspar and Villarreal football club's president Fernando Roig. This deal goes back on comments made by Ecclestone previously stating that no European country should hold more than one race each year as Barcelona currently holds the Spanish Grand Prix each year.
Although now confirmed, the deal was rumored to be conditional on the People's Party winning regional elections on 27 May 2007.[11] However, Ecclestone had clarified his comments on May 16, 2007: "I said I wouldn't formalise a contract until after the elections because I didn't know who I would be signing it with." He said his statements were taken out of context.[12] Ecclestone has since been cleared of influencing the election by the Valencian Electoral Commission.[13]
The official track layout was unveiled by Valencia councillor and transport counselor, Mario Flores, on 19 July 2007. The track was first used in the last weekend of July 2008, as the circuit hosted a round of the Spanish F3 Championship and International GT Open. It was first used for the European Grand Prix on August 24, 2008.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
In that case it should be the Valmor Sport group, not the Spanish Government, that would foot the bill for the race to be run and then take the profit, or the hit for any loss, from it.  I get involved in F1 on odd occasions and I know that Silverstone Circuit has said that they are happy if the F1 GP breaks even and if it does make a loss, then they take the hit.  They don't look upon it as the big money spinner that everyone thinks it is, it is for the knock on effects that hosting the GP provides.

When the Rockingham circuit was being built it was designed to be up to International standards so had the layout and infrastructure to host an F1 race if they wanted but when I asked if they would be competing with Silverstone for the GP they denied they'd ever try.  They run very few events at Rockingham these days and they reckon they can make more money out of track days than anything else.  Minimal staff required, a couple of ambulances to provide medical cover and that is about it.   

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Wish I could get involved in F1 and collect £27 million for just giving the nod to run an F! race, and I like others would quite happily pay HMG less than £1 million in tax with a turn over of £300 million, me thinks some folk are jealous of the wee man.  :rollin :rollin

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
... the unemployed get given a job and, in return, get given their benefits.  Why can't we introduce a similar scheme? ...

Because this takes jobs/hours off people who already work for the company/council. Some firms were doing it the other year, bussing in cheaper/free "experience" workers while telling their part time staff there weren't any extra hours. It might work in theory but the reality is employers want the cheapest workforce and it would lead to workers in private companies being fully funded by the state. Of course the current "sponsorship" scheme we have isn't much better.
thou shalt not kick

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
And on top of that the minimum wage has been adopted as a standard wage by private industry.

So not only are those on higher wages (most of us on this forum?) subsidising private industry (ie their shareholders) but it's another reason why the economy won't pick up.  People on the minimum wage don't have money to spend.   

A low wage economy will become a going nowhere economy.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

So not only are those on higher wages (most of us on this forum?)

:rollin :'(

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
By higher I mean above the minimum wage.

I just don't think I'd be running my Fazer thou if I was on a minimum wage rate.

And many folks working full time on a minimum wage can't make ends meet, a lot claim benefits.

Who pays for those benefits, those benefits that effectively subsidise many big companies. 

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
By higher I mean above the minimum wage.

I just don't think I'd be running my Fazer thou if I was on a minimum wage rate.

And many folks working full time on a minimum wage can't make ends meet, a lot claim benefits.

Who pays for those benefits, those benefits that effectively subsidise many big companies.
So we agree then we Bernie could put a wee drop more into the pot