Date: 28-04-24  Time: 15:16 pm

Author Topic: Dropped it...  (Read 3863 times)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Dropped it...
« on: 06 September 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
First time, in eight years of ownership and I've now chucked it in a hedge. Total fuc up on my part.

I went to put the side stand up and I stood it up to far... and over to the other side. My garden hedge took the impact, but I had to fight my way into the shrubery to pick the Julie up. Damage: small scratch on the tank, scuff on the crash bobin, and my broken pride.

And it got worse later in the day. Flying a helicopter in the back garden after work. Airbourne for all of a minute and a small gust took it into another hedge. Damage: rear rotor blade broken, canopy cracked, and more broken pride.

Then later it got even worse. Spark ignitor on the cooker has now thrown a wobbly. The flame in the oven blew out and the ignitor did not re-ignite the gas, when most of the time while cooking the thing wouldn't shut up. Luckely I smelt the gas... from the other end of the house.

No my iphone pile of phoo has started to malfunction over wether there's a network on the sky.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped it...
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2012, 09:01:58 pm »
Not a good day then  :(
Tomorrow will be better  :D

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2012, 09:57:24 pm »
your garden must be massive if you can fly a helicopter in it :lol

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2012, 10:00:21 pm »
didn't you read his post? He can't fly a helicopter in it, he crashed  :rollin

Hope the scratch is easily dealt with, and sure your pride will fight to live another day (hang on that's not what I meant :lol )

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2012, 06:14:01 am »
Unlucky, mate.  :( 

I felt the same when I managed to lever mine off the centre stand while working on the suspension linkage.  Just a momentary lapse of concentration and 'crash', down she went. 

Out with the T-Cut :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2012, 08:25:50 am »
Bad luck Kosmic, it's easily done - helicopters are a bugger to fly  :lol
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Dropped it...
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2012, 08:56:12 am »
Em centre stands must be bad look I did exactly the same thing last month, we had a weekend in caravan by the coast I went on my bike while she did the car thing, anyway morning of me leaving I moved the bike onto the Tarmac path and went to lift bike on centre stand ! Now stupid me had walked across grass that was damp ! and have R1 legs means you have to lift abit higher anyway my foot slipped and bike went over oh feck I placed it down keeping the bars straight as i could not hold it so it only marked the bar end (had to repowder coat £foc) and put a very very small mark on my moto bung but my OCD would not allow me to leave it so (£28 ) to replace, twas lucky but it did spoil my ride home, it's as good as new now and I promised her I wouldn't hurt her again.

Dave
« Last Edit: 07 September 2012, 08:57:23 am by cable tie »

Nik86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2012, 09:16:04 am »
After a measly 3 weeks of licence and bike ownership, last night I was trying to perfect a casual-looking centre-stand technique and chucked the whole glossy black beauty into the wall of the house. Now seem to have got a successful 2 rocks and up technique going on that (so far) seems to work. One thing I have learnt - don't try and inspect the damage by torch - every tiny mark looks ten times bigger when it's lit up from 10cm away. Just a scratched bar end and hand rail I can live with.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2012, 09:18:14 am »
Remember being up an alpine pass when a photo opportunity presented itself. Got off the bike and fished the camera out of luggage and started snapping away.
It was a gen1 thou and had dog bones fitted to raise the back so it lent over a bit more on the side stand.
Due to the slope of the road the bike rolled forward and took itself off the stand, it was at this point I saw it out of the corner of my eye and managed to catch it before disaster struck.
Phew, then 15 minutes later I dropped the fucking thing turning round on a gravely layby.  :o

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2012, 09:33:54 am »
2005 in middle of Ireland(miles from anywhere) attempted turn in road with good lady on pillion, fully laden top box,double decker tank bag. Turned bars released clutch only to stall on turn(was in 2nd gear!).Got right foot on road told her on back to get off pronto as I was getting a very hot right leg from side of downpipe(Honda NTV 650). As soon as she was clear I let the bike drop. Result broken riders footpeg, bent brake lever & brake pedal. Managed to "borrow" her footpeg-she had to rest her right foot on silencer(not too hot). Eventually found a scrapyard in Galway City and got replacement peg from CG125 for 15 euros. There is still a burn mark on the right knee of my trousers. Glad I wasnt wearing shorts! Another time 2002 got off CX500 outside house flashily swung side stand out and got off bike too soon-oh the embarrassment in front of neighbours kids :o !

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2012, 09:42:00 am »
I managed a very dramatic drop with the R1 a few years ago getting it out of the garage which has a slope down to the drive. Normally back it over a hump ready to roll down slope, then sit on it as I can't reach (arms too short!) to roll it down the slope safely.
My feet only just touch the ground and I need to steady it with the front brake, but number one son had replaced the pads the day before and forgotten to pump brake back up!
I failed to do a POWDER check, result:
Bike ran off with me backwards, managed to miss my car then toppled over to the left pinning me against a wall with my left foot trapped under the bike.
Lay there for a bit thinking how do I get out of this one as most neighbours (and my son) had gone to work, so managed to wriggle free, but as soon as I stood up knew my foot was not good, so hobbled to neighbour to help me pick the bike up, which fortunately was OK because it had landed on me, then drove like the clappers to the local A&E where they confirmed foot was broken, just as well I had my bike boots on, it could have been worse.
Had to phone son to give him the news and ask him to drive me to bigger hospital to have foot set as local one couldn't do it.
Luckily the foot mended quickly, as three weeks later I was due to go on a bike trip to Cornwall and I just made it, had plaster off the day before :D
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2012, 01:19:55 pm »
have 2 bikes in the garage - both 2003 fazer foxeyes (looking after one for a mate)

Now my garage isnt huge and needed to replace coolant so decided to wheel his out of the garage from the "wrong" (exhaust) side of the bike.

pulled it too far over and that pushed me into mine which fell off the centre stand and made 2 holes in the garage wall (plaster board). - one for the handlebars and the other the brake lever.

that feeling when you are utterly powerless to do anything about it - im hanging onto his bike and watching my pride and joy faint over.

Thankfully, not much damage - slightly scuffed mirror and bent brake lever.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2012, 05:53:57 pm »
Sounds like there's a few that have done it. And I'm glad to be a part of your club  :lol :lol .

@ Cabletie. I've got no centre stand fitted.

Once I nearly chucked my XJR1200 over the otherside fully loaded with luggage. I'd already downed it gently on the left side because I'd hit neutral instead of first while filltering through trafic. Thought I'd have to unload in rush hour traffic to pick the barge up, but I went for the lift and did it but nearly lost it over to the right. Few that was lucky. I'd have looked like a right vagina.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2012, 06:52:23 pm »
Now seem to have got a successful 2 rocks and up technique going on that (so far) seems to work.

Hi, not getting at you but clearly that technique isn't working and it certainly isn't the correct way to do it. :)

I'm assuming the bike has stock suspension linkages on the rear, in which case no rocking is required - or advisable.

Right foot on the stand, right hand holding the grip built into the left passenger footpeg.  Left hand keeping the bars straight.

Push down with your foot firmly and the bike will lift itself over and up.  You don't need to heave and you don't need to lift the bike's weight with your arms. 

Push down with your foot and guide the bike over steadily with your arms.

Download the video here to see how easy it is:  http://www.teamiguana.com/FZ1/Videos/Center-Stand.wmv

Desmo grips the luggage rack arm not the footpeg grip but that makes no difference.  It's body weight through the foot that does the lifting. :)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2012, 07:46:17 pm »
Funniest fall off was on my 929 FireBlade, I was doing a 180 turn in the road and being a stumpy short arse bastid I had to tippy toe around, the right side hero blob caught in the top of my boot causing the boot sole to grip the road, before I knew what was happening I'd ridden over my foot with the back tyre and then just fell over,I had to laugh even though I cracked the fairing, snapped the knob off the break lever. Sometimes I hate being me?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2012, 03:39:59 pm »
My son had a classic in my garage, I was riding an XJ 900 at the time, he had a scooter that was a third of the weight.

He said to me "Dad, can I jump on your bike and back it out of the garage? I'm stronger than I look?" So he started to back it out, lost the balance of the bike and ended up pinned to the garage wall and had a chunk taken out of him by the garage tap handle  :lol

Wish I had a photo,,,,

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2012, 08:05:52 pm »
Dropped mine the other night, coming out of work - bloody hell its embarrassing when you do it in front of people!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2012, 08:34:08 pm »
I was leaving my daughters house,stopped at end of drive to let a car go by,went to put my foot down and there was a large pebble right under my foot.
My foot slid about and the bike just slowly toppled over as i tried to kick the pebble away,no real damage but my grandkids think i am even more of an old fool since then.

Nik86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
Now seem to have got a successful 2 rocks and up technique going on that (so far) seems to work.

Hi, not getting at you but clearly that technique isn't working and it certainly isn't the correct way to do it. :)

I'm assuming the bike has stock suspension linkages on the rear, in which case no rocking is required - or advisable.

Right foot on the stand, right hand holding the grip built into the left passenger footpeg.  Left hand keeping the bars straight.

Push down with your foot firmly and the bike will lift itself over and up.  You don't need to heave and you don't need to lift the bike's weight with your arms. 

Download the video here to see how easy it is:  http://www.teamiguana.com/FZ1/Videos/Center-Stand.wmv

Desmo grips the luggage rack arm not the footpeg grip but that makes no difference.  It's body weight through the foot that does the lifting. :)

Thanks for that, got it now. Easy as pie and done in flip flops - pure technique that I didn't have before. I'm learning daily!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2012, 06:29:25 am »
Great!  Glad you've got that sorted.  :)

Mike

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #20 on: 09 September 2012, 09:01:29 am »
KK, I know how to sort your problems...(first post of topic)

To avoid the first two, rip out the hedge, to sort third burn the hedge and cook your dinner on it instead, as for the last, throw the iPhone on the fire and treat yourself to an android phone. :D

My tiger went over this summer - gave a lift to another experienced pillion (lady in her 50's). All was fine until the dismount. I braced myself on the left and leaned forward slightly to give room, but then felt the bike just go to the right as she dismounted on the other side! All three of us went over. 
"I always get off that side" she says.

via Tapatalk2

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2012, 08:23:10 am »
Interesting as I too have had an off stand moment with my gen1. Had rear wheel out and in  a lapse of concentration tried to move bike around by  pivoting on its stand...oops. Luckily my garage is carpetted and a big bundle of work clothes cushioned it as she  gracefully rolled off the stand. Swiftly picked her up ( amazing what adrenaline and builders arms can do!)...and no damage at all save me heart beating outside my chest !....thank God for centre stands though ...couldnt have done it so easily if it was a paddock stand.

I had 2 seperate moments with my abba stand, on two seperate bikes where in spite of the bobbins being tight , it slipped out of the swing arm recess, and the bike fell down slightly .Its a liability  IMO, but you do need them if you R taking yer own wheels out.. Have no need of it just yet , but who knows what I will buy next year !  ;)

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2012, 02:44:06 pm »

I love that, will have to give it a try, as I never succeeded with my Gen 1, so when Gen2 is repaired will give it a go as I only weigh 60 kilos and have short arms, but fortunately have two qualified assistants ;)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous