Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:33 am

Author Topic: Complete and utter newbie  (Read 3686 times)

Nik86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Complete and utter newbie
« on: 21 August 2012, 04:03:44 pm »
Hi all,
Just got licence a couple of months ago after years and years of blathering on about it. Tons of mags, websites, unconvinced test rides on other bikes from beemers to sv650's to bonnevilles etc convinced me that what i really, really needed/lusted over is a fazer. So...last Tuesday, perhaps a little rashly? on ebay I bought a 2000 fzs600 with 22000 miles on the clock and glorious, pristine shiny black paintwork. The seller's feedback was all great so wasn't overly worried although never having sat on one I was mostly concerned I wouldn't even be able to touch the floor. Anyway, by 10 on Friday morning an item of beauty was sat on my driveway and thankfully despite being 5'4" it fits like a glove. I'm making every excuse under the sun to get out on it, even volunteered to go for nappies at 10 last night. Still break into a sweat at the prospect of a hill start/awkward parking spot/cobbles but so far so good - nothing too embarrassing. In short, I'm the happiest 41 year old I know and my long-lived dream's come true, after my 2 kids coming along this has got to be the next best thing! I'm waffling and I don't know bikes but I've got nothing but praise for the little black missile outside.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Complete and utter newbie
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2012, 05:07:21 pm »
nice intro........thats another complete nutter on the forum then  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2012, 05:37:31 pm »
Enjoy :)

harry69koi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2012, 06:13:58 pm »
Enjoy your new steed m8ty and just take your time learning new skills,passing the bike test is just the very beginning and we all keep learning new stuff  :)

Oh and welcome to the forum  :D
live for the moment

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2012, 06:38:50 pm »
alreety :thumbup

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2012, 06:59:28 pm »
When you're ready get a bit of "advanced" training but don't tell anyone on this forum about it    ;)

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2012, 07:31:42 am »
Hi all,
Just got licence a couple of months ago after years and years of blathering on about it. Tons of mags, websites, unconvinced test rides on other bikes from beemers to sv650's to bonnevilles etc convinced me that what i really, really needed/lusted over is a fazer. So...last Tuesday, perhaps a little rashly? on ebay I bought a 2000 fzs600 with 22000 miles on the clock and glorious, pristine shiny black paintwork. The seller's feedback was all great so wasn't overly worried although never having sat on one I was mostly concerned I wouldn't even be able to touch the floor. Anyway, by 10 on Friday morning an item of beauty was sat on my driveway and thankfully despite being 5'4" it fits like a glove. I'm making every excuse under the sun to get out on it, even volunteered to go for nappies at 10 last night. Still break into a sweat at the prospect of a hill start/awkward parking spot/cobbles but so far so good - nothing too embarrassing. In short, I'm the happiest 41 year old I know and my long-lived dream's come true, after my 2 kids coming along this has got to be the next best thing! I'm waffling and I don't know bikes but I've got nothing but praise for the little black missile outside.

Blimey, must be an early 40's mid life crisis type thing, my story is pretty much the same :) Loving the Fazer now i'm learning it, new bridgestones are far better than the maxxis it came with.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2012, 10:11:45 am »
Fazer doin a nappy run!, so thats how you justify to the missus that u need to keep the bike!

Whatever next-a fazer helping old people cross the road tee hee! :lol
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Nik86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2012, 09:06:48 am »
After a couple of weeks of inane grinning and a couple of hundred miles of (mostly successful) riding, it has occurred to me that other than reading the manual, I know nowt about bike maintenance. I'd be happy to pay for a course or someone around the general Oxford/Oxfordshire area that might be able to give me a few pointers. For example, someone's suggested my chain looks a bit slack and I'm not confident enough to tackle it myself just yet for fear of messing it up big time.  Once I've seen that kind of thing done I'll be happy, just need a nudge in the right direction. Think I've got my nod sorted now but that won't help much if my brakes are shagged. Long may this weather last! :sun

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2012, 09:17:59 am »
Fazer doin a nappy run!, so thats how you justify to the missus that u need to keep the bike!

i did a one off run to get tomatos!!!! went to the supermarket about 30 miles away to get them (theres a supermarket less than a mile from the house._
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2012, 10:15:40 am »
 :lol Any excuse to get out on the fazer  :rollin thats what i like to hear, enjoy and welcome to the forum  :)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2012, 10:22:54 am »
FAZER-one bike does all! Good choice made now hurry up & get some more nappies!( Hopefully for the nipper?) :lol  Welcome & Enjoy

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2012, 11:22:10 am »
After a couple of weeks of inane grinning and a couple of hundred miles of (mostly successful) riding, it has occurred to me that other than reading the manual, I know nowt about bike maintenance. I'd be happy to pay for a course or someone around the general Oxford/Oxfordshire area that might be able to give me a few pointers. For example, someone's suggested my chain looks a bit slack and I'm not confident enough to tackle it myself just yet for fear of messing it up big time.  Once I've seen that kind of thing done I'll be happy, just need a nudge in the right direction. Think I've got my nod sorted now but that won't help much if my brakes are shagged. Long may this weather last! :sun

Apparently there is a manual on this site you can download, may help with chain adjustment etc. 8)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Nik86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2012, 11:35:05 am »

i did a one off run to get tomatos!!!! went to the supermarket about 30 miles away to get them (theres a supermarket less than a mile from the house._

I can top your 30 miles! Went out to cash machine 5 mins up the road and ended up getting back an hour later with 45 more miles on the clock - and no cash, it slipped my mind what I'd gone out for

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2012, 12:25:33 pm »
My advice on chain tension, tiny increments and tighten up, see how that went.

I'm talking quarter turn on the nuts at a time.

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2012, 06:42:44 am »
Well lets see some pictures of the bike!

This late summer is made for bikes, have fun
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2012, 10:02:40 pm »
nice intro........thats another complete nutter on the forum then  ;)
result !!............do you collect sling-backs ? :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  welcome to the loony bin matey ;)

Nik86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2012, 10:07:19 am »
When I'm not on it, it's getting well used anyway! Hope the attachment works - first go at this malarkey.