Date: 20-05-24  Time: 19:32 pm

Poll

If you didn't have to wear a helmet, would you?

Definitely.
64 (80%)
No chance.
5 (6.3%)
Sometimes.
11 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: If you didn't have to wear a helmet, would you?  (Read 14989 times)

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: If you didn't have to wear a helmet, would you?
« Reply #50 on: 14 July 2013, 10:21:11 am »
I guess that's like the old theory that if you had a big spike sticking out of the steering wheel of you car instead of a nice safe airbag...

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 July 2013, 10:32:58 am »
yep ,,that's pretty much it, but I'd prefer a shotgun cartridge over a spike  :evil

tkwish

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 July 2013, 11:48:31 am »
Quite agree we live to the limits its just that some people have difficulty defining where the limit is

R1FSR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 July 2013, 04:02:37 pm »

nuff said

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 July 2013, 04:27:10 pm »

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 July 2013, 08:31:30 pm »
this came up on my Feacesbook today from the Orgi page  ;)

Ogri

Many of us have come off our two-wheeled steeds, and damaged ourselves, or know of people, friends, family, who have had serious accident's etc, even fatalities.

The photo's I post and share on this page are for fun. Remember, Mitzi, Ogri's long time lady, rides around in her suzzies, and often without knickers...Bless her!!

Paul Sample and myself ride in jeans and jackets, with gloves, and open faced helmets. Paul has had some accidents over the years, I had many on my MZ as a teen, but learnt a lot from those days. Luckliy, touch wood, neither of us have had bad accidents in recent years, (I put my CBR in a hedge about 10 years ago) but there's still time...We ride safely.

We know that there's lots of "squids" out there, and we like to think that most of us are wise enough not to piss about on bikes, but as Brits, we don't seem to be able to take the same laid back approach to how we dress when we ride, as the rest of the world. It's their skin, it's their choice...

Enjoy the photo's as they are meant to show, a reflection of the better side of motorcycling, the freedom of the open road!!

Ride safe, keep your bike well maintained, keep your eyes ahead, and be aware of every hazard on every road, round every bend, and dress how you choose, be it up to the eyeballs in protection, or, and we don't recommend it, in your underwear, or naked....but please, ride safe!!!

6 hours ago

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16 July 2013, 10:07:20 pm »
I would most of the time  , normal UK weather , motorway riding or going out for a Sunday bimble in the countryside , but on extremely hot days , where you are town/city riding  , I wouldn't  .   I feel that wearing all that PPE in this heat affects my concentration and therefore means I'm more likely to have an accident. You could also argue that if you weren't wearing PPE you would be more aware of your own mortality and take less risks .

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 July 2013, 10:09:24 pm »
if you had to wear a turban would you? :lol

Still my favourite reply on this thread.. :lol

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #58 on: 17 July 2013, 08:08:21 am »
I would most of the time  , normal UK weather , motorway riding or going out for a Sunday bimble in the countryside , but on extremely hot days , where you are town/city riding  , I wouldn't  .   I feel that wearing all that PPE in this heat affects my concentration and therefore means I'm more likely to have an accident. You could also argue that if you weren't wearing PPE you would be more aware of your own mortality and take less risks .

Police don't stop bikers round where I live, so in spite of the "law", I can ride without a helmet. I still choose to wear helmet most of the time.

Helmet keeps wind noise down, protects my face from stones, bugs etc, improves vision (stops the wind better than most goggles).

When it is really hot, I sometimes wear cycling helmet - with all the vents. Doesn't protect chin and face though. Only sometimes I ride without a helmet at all. It  IS nice. Take it slow, on a Sunday morning, country roads.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Jazz999

• Weekend Warrior
  • Mellow Yellow!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 17 July 2013, 08:33:54 am »
Personally I would always want to wear one. As a front line medic in the UK I've seen that they save lives over and over again. That's at low speed too - diesel on a junction that makes your front end break away, over you go and hit your head on the kerb & lights out.
Any speed of impact of your skull on a hard surface is enough to cause an irreversible bleed on your brain so if u can absorb that impact energy with a lid then u have to be better off.
In higher speed crashes you're just as likely to die from a severe chest injury, aortic rupture or other severe haemorrhage as you are a brain injury.
I guess it's personal choice again, and yes I'm paid to attend such tragic incidents but I don't want to see a fellow human/biker perish over something simple like a lid. Over years of service it takes its toll and no amount of wages will make it easier.
Nothing Fazes a Foccer!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 17 July 2013, 08:46:47 am »
Personally I would always want to wear one. As a front line medic in the UK I've seen that they save lives over and over again. That's at low speed too - diesel on a junction that makes your front end break away, over you go and hit your head on the kerb & lights out.
Any speed of impact of your skull on a hard surface is enough to cause an irreversible bleed on your brain so if u can absorb that impact energy with a lid then u have to be better off.
In higher speed crashes you're just as likely to die from a severe chest injury, aortic rupture or other severe haemorrhage as you are a brain injury.
I guess it's personal choice again, and yes I'm paid to attend such tragic incidents but I don't want to see a fellow human/biker perish over something simple like a lid. Over years of service it takes its toll and no amount of wages will make it easier.
Well said.  I'm with you on that.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 17 July 2013, 12:46:55 pm »
Well said.  I'm with you on that.

me too.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18 July 2013, 07:14:16 am »
I always laff when this " discussion" comes up ( yet again) on the forum... :rolleyes

1. wtf are we even talking about it for as its law- end of !... its never going to change

2. yes you should have the right to " do what you want" , but get real , this is a modern society where we all have to live together , so just obey the law and get on with riding yer bike .

3. helmet law has been in now what , 40 yrs...so the ones who can remember the " good old days" are probably septogenarian and probably are rambling while pissing themselves involuntarily ...

4. we have no right to expect emergency services to clean up our mess just because  we selfishly feel we are being oppressed. Theres enough fecking problems in the world without us adding to them over some wildly outdated semantic bullshit about being "free"

Just my opinion like....

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18 July 2013, 07:32:51 am »
I always laff when this " discussion" comes up ( yet again) on the forum... :rolleyes

1. wtf are we even talking about it for as its law- end of !... its never going to change

2. yes you should have the right to " do what you want" , but get real , this is a modern society where we all have to live together , so just obey the law and get on with riding yer bike .

3. helmet law has been in now what , 40 yrs...so the ones who can remember the " good old days" are probably septogenarian and probably are rambling while pissing themselves involuntarily ...

4. we have no right to expect emergency services to clean up our mess just because  we selfishly feel we are being oppressed. Theres enough fecking problems in the world without us adding to them over some wildly outdated semantic bullshit about being "free"

Just my opinion like....
:rollin
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

R1FSR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18 July 2013, 10:27:10 pm »
pitter 'keeping it real as ever' nator  :lol

Stooby2

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XJ900 Diversion 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 19 July 2013, 03:39:20 pm »
Funnily enough I picked up a copy of the Motorcycle Action Group's magazine in the bike shop waiting for an MOT. It was from last year and I haven't seen anything of them for about 20 years (I know they've been out there though) - but they're still banging on about the helmet law. It made me laugh, nothing like flogging a dead horse. And it was a nice glossy magazine - with that awful stuck-in-the-70's logo on the front.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 19 July 2013, 04:08:14 pm »

Oi!       Well 3 years before I hit the roads but I can still remember :lol
And I didn't need a front number plate either  :b

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 19 July 2013, 04:58:52 pm »
MCN Headline: Stonehenge Industries Lops Corners Off Wheels - Claims Performance Benefit.
Ah, those were the days... :lol