Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:03 pm

Poll

Is this just greed, or good business sense?

Greed
Good Business Sense
Bit of both
Great idea expand it to more clubs
Don't care

Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 1518 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
European Super League
« on: 20 April 2021, 09:18:42 am »
I'm not really a football fan these days, got put off years ago, mainly by the cost.  Taking my lads to a game, 10yrs ago would costs £150 easy. 

One of the main arguments by UK supporters against this, is it destroys, local identities, history etc. 

To me it clearly demonstrates, UK supporters really don't factor any longer and if they never paid another penny in season tickets or gate money it wouldn't matter.  Premiership Clubs make more money with world TV rights and sales of shirts/kits memorabilia, than ever they do in the UK. 

Like much of sport nowadays, it's not really about the sport it's just about money, making more money!
Later

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: European Super League
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2021, 09:58:25 am »
Not a football fan,but...Do you think playing behind closed doors during the pandemic has had an effect on this...No policing bills, admin, countless match day staff and countless other things that have to be in place before the game can go ahead. still getting TV rights with a fraction of the outgoings ?

i would say most loyal fans could not afford regular week day European matches as well as traditional Saturday afternoon domestic matches, But as GNASHER has already said."its not about the supporters"....like most things its all about money...spoils a lot of things ...

Just my thoughts, i`am not a footy fan and don`t know a great deal about it...
One, is never going to be enough.....

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2021, 10:32:55 am »
Voted for the last option as I cant stand football and ALL the B$ that surrounds it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2021, 11:36:38 am »
I'm not a fan of Foot the Ball, but someone else pointed out on another forum that many of the "Big 6" teams are in massive debt (possibly due to the ludicrous salaries the players command...!)

https://sqaf.club/premier-league-clubs-debt/

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2021, 12:33:33 pm »
I don't like poofball because of the players and the clubs.

Players of the top league clubs are overpaid primadonas who only have to be looked at the wrong way and they fall down clutching their ankle to "win" a penalty or something and have no respect for the referee unlike rugby players.

The clubs are just after money. Long gone are the days where local players played for their local clubs and each season would see a different set of clubs in the top 5 of the league as their teams matured or retired etc. Now, Club A has more money than club B so buys the players they think are best meaning they stay at the top of the league. Staying at the top of the league brings in more money so they buy more top players and so on.

Clubs should have a rule enforced on them that they can only get players from their catchment area or a strict, low, salary cap on both players and the whole squad meaning a club is as good as their players, not as good as they can afford.

If UEFA get their way and ban players from the world cup etc if they play in the super league it will be interesting and prove who is in it for the money vs being the best for their country.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2021, 01:08:40 pm »
I don't like poofball because of the players and the clubs.

Players of the top league clubs are overpaid primadonas who only have to be looked at the wrong way and they fall down clutching their ankle to "win" a penalty or something and have no respect for the referee unlike rugby players.

The clubs are just after money. Long gone are the days where local players played for their local clubs and each season would see a different set of clubs in the top 5 of the league as their teams matured or retired etc. Now, Club A has more money than club B so buys the players they think are best meaning they stay at the top of the league. Staying at the top of the league brings in more money so they buy more top players and so on.

Clubs should have a rule enforced on them that they can only get players from their catchment area or a strict, low, salary cap on both players and the whole squad meaning a club is as good as their players, not as good as they can afford.

If UEFA get their way and ban players from the world cup etc if they play in the super league it will be interesting and prove who is in it for the money vs being the best for their country.

Yes all very true mate.  That said most other sports rugby, cricket, golf, tennis, snooker, darts, motorcycling, FI and other top flight car sport have gone or are going the same way.  Last time I went to GP and that wasn't on race day cost me well over £100 and that was access to paddocks or stands, just 50 odd deep at the odd corner, the corporate hospitality had taken all the good areas.

Same with a top flight rugby match, it's all about max profit, most of which doesn't go into the local club or area, just investors pockets.     
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2021, 01:10:28 pm »
As a Spurs fan I should welcome guaranteed European football every season :lol

But I don't. As said, this is all about overseas TV revenues week in week out. They will pay for Man Utd vs Real Madrid, but not Fulham vs Sheffield United on a wet Wednesday.

If they go through with this, I sincerely hope the Premier League, Uefa and Fifa chuck them out of all other competitions.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2021, 02:27:15 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:34:10 pm by YamFazFan »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2021, 04:15:03 pm »
Ive long suspected theres an element of money laundering going on here, as the multi billionaire (foreign) owners move money around the world to avoid paying bills/taxes etc. Not for one moment do I think many of them have the slightest interest in the game, only success and all that comes with it. I stopped watching the professional game some years ago, fed up to the back teeth with players practicing diving in training, then cheating the game by doing it in a match. No respect for the officials makes their job harder. It makes no difference to me if they formed the new league, the grass roots game has been dying for years. I used to walk to my local park, which had perhaps 12 pitches on it, all with matches on a saturday pm or a sunday morning. I go now, and theres none. Schools have sold off their playing fields to developers, any youngsters showing ability are assimilated at an early age and any natural ability is coached out of them through the various age groups as they grow up. Agents tout their products on the market like the seedy car salesmen that they really are, unsettling players and staff alike, cos they can make millions by getting someone a better deal

At the end of the day, its business, the free market etc But I reckon this will spend a considerable time in the courts, as the various sides will have to battel it there ultimately.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2021, 04:39:40 pm »
"As a Spurs fan I should welcome guaranteed European football every season :lol "

What's a Spurs fan? I've got a radiator fan, heard of a ceiling fan, but never a Spurs fan...........

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2021, 05:55:23 pm »
What's a Spurs fan? I've got a radiator fan, heard of a ceiling fan, but never a Spurs fan...........

It's just like a radiator fan - functions intermittently and you're constantly anxious about its performance  :)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2021, 09:33:06 pm »
The "Big 6" teams are in massive debt (possibly due to the ludicrous salaries the players command...!)
Thats part of the 'B$' I was referring too

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2021, 10:23:57 pm »
Well it appears it's all over. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56823501

That said the greed :D of the current setup is still there, question now, are they going to change?

I don't think so!
« Last Edit: 21 April 2021, 06:44:48 am by Gnasher »
Later

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2021, 08:32:41 am »

« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:31:04 pm by YamFazFan »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2021, 04:18:37 pm »

so this European Super League would have been an 'extra', so to speak?.

And then complainng they were knackered from playing 2 matches every week.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again