Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:02 pm

Author Topic: What exhaust??  (Read 4441 times)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
What exhaust??
« on: 14 September 2013, 11:25:37 pm »
I'm thinking of a full exhaust system for my bike but i'm not sure which one. I want one that gives the best midrange power if possible. If you have a full system what are your thoughts as to how it works?

Jim.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: What exhaust??
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2013, 06:02:48 am »
I've got the Akrapovic full system.  Much lighter than stock and delivers a lot more power from about 5k rpm upwards (with re-jetting, of course).  As you can see from Ivan's dyno charts here, there's a little dip in the dyno curve between 3.5 - 4.5k rpm.  Not really a problem on the road, just slightly softer in response vs a stock EXUP header set up:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fz1dyno.htm

Most decent aftermarket full systems for the Gen 1 are no longer available new.  you'll have to scour ebay, I suspect.  Avoid the Sandy Spares version as they're not the product of proper design and testing.

Which system were you thinking of getting? 

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2013, 11:40:38 am »
Not sure what system to go for although i've seen one made by Arata that looks pretty good. Arrow do a system as well, one question though, did you notice an increase in vibration with the Akrapovic? The reason i ask is i fitted a full system to a Honda Blackbird i had but the vibes became unbearable. It seems the sheer mass of the original exhaust was doing a good job of damping out unwanted engine vibes.

Jim.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2013, 03:12:30 pm »
I looked on the Arrow website and could only find a full system for a Gen II.  If they still do a Gen 1 system, that's good because they're a decent make.  Looks like they favour a 4-2-1 set-up, like Akrapovic do for the Fazer.

The Arata system is a 4-1, hopefully with a horizontal merge plate in the collector.  This would make it very similar to the Muzzy (discontinued) which is shown on Ivan's website.  Arata systems are lovely but not cheap.

I don't think the lighter Akra headers have led to an increase in vibes; if anything, mine's smoother now than it's ever been. :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2013, 06:47:04 pm »
I had an arata full system on my old cb1300, it was awesome, if you can still get one I'd go for that. Like mike said, not cheap , but very good. I thought they were long gone in truth, wouldn't mind another system for the cb I have now, but wouldn't want to pay what I did last time...

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2013, 09:33:56 pm »
http://www.holeshot.com/

Anyone got any experience of this exhaust? It's made by Dale Walker, a very highly regarded tuner and something of a rival to Ivan.
Do you reckon his exhaust would work with Ivans full monty jet kit? It seems the pipe would cost about £350 plus shipping and taxes.

Jim.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2013, 09:53:29 pm »
The Holeshot headers are another 4-1 design and I'm guessing that they are very close to Muzzy in design.  Will work really well with Ivan's jet kit, which is superior to the Dale Walker kit in all respects.  The headers aren't chromed, though ... some other kind of finish which may or may not stand up to British weather and roads.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2013, 11:33:01 pm »
I looked on the Arrow website and could only find a full system for a Gen II.  If they still do a Gen 1 system, that's good because they're a decent make.  Looks like they favour a 4-2-1 set-up, like Akrapovic do for the Fazer.

The Arata system is a 4-1, hopefully with a horizontal merge plate in the collector.
generally a 4-1 will give an increase in the top end and losing out at the lower and midrange where a 4-2-1 will give better results in the low end and midrange with a smaller increase at the top end, I know when I had a blackbird which has a 4-2-1-2 as standard and I fitted a 4-1-2 the power delivery was changed, the bottom end was the main difference and at 6k revs the bike revved harder than before.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2013, 06:34:40 am »

generally a 4-1 will give an increase in the top end and losing out at the lower and midrange where a 4-2-1 will give better results in the low end and midrange with a smaller increase at the top end,

Generally being the key word here. :)

With the Gen 1 motor, it works the other way.   A 4-2-1 (such as the Akra system) is a little better up top but not so good in the 3 - 4k rpm range.  It's essential that a 4-2-1 for this motor has short secondary stage pipes and the primary headers can't be too large in diameter.  That's why the Akra headers are tapered.

The Muzzy 4-1 system is better low down and loses nothing for the deletion of the EXUP valve.  The key thing, though, is the design of the merge plate inside the collector. :)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2013, 08:07:23 am »
Hmmmm, so basically i need to find a used Muzzy system with Ivans full monty kit.
Jim

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2013, 08:30:59 am »
Just looked at the Arrow system from the link above and that's a very good price for a full system. I'll call them today and see if i can get any more info on it.

Jim.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2013, 09:58:52 am »
 :)  Watching with interest

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2013, 11:47:01 am »
There's no debate to have unless you cannot afford an Akrapovic :)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2013, 01:12:17 pm »
Try and find one!

Jim.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2013, 05:49:40 pm »
Bummer, i called Demon Tweaks regarding the Arrow full system but was told the link was an old one as they don't actually stock the pipes, instead they come from the factory direct to you. I'll keep looking.

Jim.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2013, 08:23:19 pm »
On my R1 ( 5JJ 2000 model) I fitted a set of Hindle front pipes and had the link pipe changed so I could keep my very expensive titanium Akrapovic end can, I think JB Racing supplied the front pipes and new link pipe for about £330 delivered ( in 2005 I think) fit was fantastic power was up from 132 bhp to 144 bhp and torque was up from 72 to 79 ,  about an hour on the dyno (PDQ) big improvement.
Mark :)