Date: 29-05-24  Time: 21:52 pm

Author Topic: More money grabbing  (Read 1159 times)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Re: More money grabbing
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2012, 10:42:07 am »
I know this smacks of holier than thou sentiment but you don't get tickets if you don't speed.

Saying that, if I got caught I would complain like a pensioner in a post office queue. Eventually I'd accept it was my fault for speeding in the first place though, I know the limits and that I shouldn't do it.
thou shalt not kick

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2012, 11:13:58 am »
it is, somehow, made different for speeding - do cyclists get a £100 pound fine for breaking through red lights? £100 pulling-out without looking? the legislation is probably there - but the debate on road safety does seem to begin and end with 'speed'.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2012, 12:46:31 pm »
I don't think it does, the "think bike" campaign emphasises on observation and awareness of bikers, there was the belt up thing a few years back and there are also endless drink driving advertisements.

The problem is that speeding is completely objective and therefore easier to prove and prosecute, you are either over the limit or not. Bad driving is harder to prove as it is usually the officer's word against the driver. It could also be argued that speeding is symptom of worse driving traits, if a person is prepared to ignore the law then why would they listen to instruction regarding lifesaver checks?

I do agree though, it appears to be skewed against registered drivers and a money making scheme. I think it would be easier to take if they dropped the points/note on the licence.
thou shalt not kick