Date: 06-05-24  Time: 12:05 pm

Author Topic: Help required new to FZ6  (Read 1312 times)

Boris

• DAS Born Again
  • Been known to talk bollocks!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZ6S - 04, XJR 1200 - 97
    • View Profile
Help required new to FZ6
« on: 05 August 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
Having just received an insurance pay out for my recently written off FZS600 (Van reversed into it whilst it was parked) I started trolling thru ebay and other sites on the look out for another bike, specifically for work and a bit of pleasure riding.

As a result I've just picked up a 2004 FZ6 with 10K on the clock that needs a bit of work on it (an excuse to tinker in the man lab).

One thing that needs to be addressed is the rear shock which has definately seen better days. Can these be serviced or will an alternative shock be suitable? I'm not bothered about Ohlins or Hagon aftermarket shocks unless they're being practically given away. A quick scan on ebay didn't bring much up either.

Also what other areas on this bike do I have to look out for?

Hope there's a foccer out there that can help.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2014, 08:57:55 pm by Boris »

JC

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Help required new to FZ6
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2014, 10:42:15 pm »
Id recommend just swapping the rear shock, but be warned the lower bush on the shock/swingarm mount can be a pain to get out.
The only issue I've heard regularly is throttle position sensor, which should have been sorted by recall.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2014, 11:44:12 pm »
make sure ya nuts don't drop off?

Boris

• DAS Born Again
  • Been known to talk bollocks!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZ6S - 04, XJR 1200 - 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2014, 01:10:48 am »
Thanks Gents! I get the bike next week and hope to start stripping it down as soon as I can as it's been a tad neglected. I've already sourced another rear shock and down pipes.
I could be wrong but it looks as if the exhaust manifold nuts are easier to access than the FZS 600.
As too the front sprocket nut. I'm pretty sure I'll need a new chain and sprocket set as well. However I'll wait and until it's in the garage before I start spending anymore. Though if I do I'll make sure I don't drop me nuts. :lol