Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:19 pm

Author Topic: Stock bar end weight removal  (Read 1880 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Stock bar end weight removal
« on: 02 March 2016, 05:13:44 pm »
My Renthal 758's got delivered yesterday. I'd like to retain the stock bar end weights, so thought I'd take an end weight and the bars to a local engineering firm to get the bars tapped accordingly. However removing the weight is causing me grief. Is it just a matter of unscrewing it using the appropriate allen socket, have tried but didn't want to give it too much stick. Also looking into the bar end there's a torx screw head. What's that for.
Thanks in advance.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Stock bar end weight removal
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2016, 06:14:14 pm »
As far as I can remember ....An 8mm Allen key and plenty of welly. As for the torx head inside I don't actually think that does anything.
Someone else may confirm or contradict me but mine comes off with just an anti- clockwise turn with the correct Allen key.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2016, 06:34:42 pm »
Hi Dazza,
That's what I was expecting to do, but was reluctant to use too much welly. Thanks for your reply.

markie_wales

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 950 SuperEnduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2016, 11:38:44 am »
I'm likely to be going this route once I get some stock mirrors and get rid of the bar end mirrors. Do the stock bar end weights just go into the bars that are threaded or is there an insert in the stock bars?

Or what's the preferred option for heavy after market bar end weights?

cheers

Markie

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
  • Getting there is the best bit
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2016, 12:38:42 pm »
Hi Robbo. I had a problem with the bar ends 'sticking' when trying to replace them. I heaved and heaved but felt I was only going to damage something so I took it into the local workshop. They put a good allen key in and a huge lever before swinging on it. I grimaced  :\  but the mechanic took it as the norm and a few swings later it came free. I have no idea why they should be put those things in so tight.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2016, 02:04:27 pm »
Hi Nellog,
Got them off, it is very much a leap of faith as I'm never keen on screeching bolts up tight. As you say, a decent  8mm socket with a breaker bar, sorted.
Thanks for your reply.
robbo

Hi markie_wales,

The stock bar weights screw into an insert on the stock bar. If you want to change to Renthals and keep the stock bar weights then getting the ends of the Renthals tapped to suit is the way to go. The stock bar weights are 308 grams. I did fancy the look of the R&G ones , but they're less than half the stock weight at 122.5 grams. Oberon do make stainless bar weights but I don't know what the weight is and the rrp of those is £35.

Hope this helps.
robbo.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2016, 02:46:30 pm »
The heavier weights definitely help with vibration through the bars as I found out when I used some lighter ones whilst my OEM ends were getting re-sprayed, so I would recommend keeping the originals where possible.

markie_wales

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 950 SuperEnduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2016, 04:12:18 pm »
Hi markie_wales,

The stock bar weights screw into an insert on the stock bar. If you want to change to Renthals and keep the stock bar weights then getting the ends of the Renthals tapped to suit is the way to go. The stock bar weights are 308 grams. I did fancy the look of the R&G ones , but they're less than half the stock weight at 122.5 grams. Oberon do make stainless bar weights but I don't know what the weight is and the rrp of those is £35.

Hope this helps.
robbo.

Thanks Robbo - I like the look of the Oberon ones - as as I only have Renthals and no "stock" bar end weights, I'll go for those (powder coated black by my dad  :D ).

cheers

Markie

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2016, 04:43:12 pm »
I've got the Oberon ones on mine with the 758 bars. No problems with vibes but they are a wee bit lighter than stock (I never weighed them though)