Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:13 am

Author Topic: Engine stalls when put in gear  (Read 2063 times)

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Engine stalls when put in gear
« on: 02 December 2021, 10:11:29 am »
Hi

I have yet another problem with my yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003. The bike is stalling every time I put it in gear, first of all I suspected an electrical fault so I tested both the side stand switch and the clutch switch all working ok.
I have tried adjusting the clutch cable but this appears to have done nothing? Finally I put the bike in gear and check the back wheel to confirm it was in gear then I pulled the clutch lever assuming the rear wheel would now turn freely(bike on  stands). Bang! The bike appears to still be in gear with the lever pulled, I've adjusted the cable both way but still no joy. Finally the question would you suspect the cable to be stretched and so doing nothing or something else?

Thanks

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Engine stalls when put in gear
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2021, 12:39:31 pm »
if you put the bike on the main stand and are able to put it in gear with the engine running then it suggests clutch issues. If it still cuts out then its a side stand switch/cabling issue.

From the description above it sounds like the clutch. Have you adjusted it at the gearbox end properly?

Details are in the Yamaha manual in the downloads section.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2021, 12:57:45 pm »
Hi

It’s not electrical, with the engine running as soon as I engage first it stalls, back to neutral start bike no issues engage first stalls. All the electrical side test out fine. With the bike in first gear and off the ground with the clutch lever pulled in it still feels like in engaged in gear and not free wheeling as it should.
I’ve not adjusted it gearbox end yet maybe next port of call.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2021, 01:47:37 pm »
Check g/box end and adjusted cable accordingly still no joy. With the clutch lever pulled in and first selected you can feel resistance so still engaged or partially edged in first gear. The only thing I can think of is there no more adjustment on the cable.
If anybody’s got any advice or encountered the same issue please let me know your fix, loosing me hair fast with this issue :'(

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2021, 01:51:13 pm »
It’s not electrical, with the engine running as soon as I engage first it stalls, back to neutral start bike no issues engage first stalls.
If the bike is on the main stand with the rear wheel in the air even if the clutch is focced, the wheel will spin and it shouldn't stall. If its stalling, its because the electrics think the side stand is down - so electrical

I’ve not adjusted it gearbox end yet maybe next port of call.
If the bike is on the main stand with the rear wheel in the air even if the clutch is focced, the wheel will spin and it shouldn't stall. If its NOT stalling when on the main stand, its because the clutch is in ned of adjustment

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2021, 01:52:26 pm »
Check g/box end and adjusted cable accordingly still no joy. With the clutch lever pulled in and first selected you can feel resistance so still engaged or partially edged in first gear. The only thing I can think of is there no more adjustment on the cable.
If anybody’s got any advice or encountered the same issue please let me know your fix, loosing me hair fast with this issue :'(
You will always get a bit of drag on a motorbike when the engine is running due to the wet clutch

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2021, 04:20:24 pm »
Try tracing the wire from the side stand switch up to the loom (where there should be a plug) and disconnect it.

Then bridge across that with a piece of wire and see if the problem still happens.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2021, 10:08:16 am »
Thanks will give that a go later.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2021, 01:36:27 am »
Have you tried using a flat screwdriver or the likes to manually push the side stand switch out?  mine doesn't always spring out fully when the side stand is lifted
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)