Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:23 pm

Author Topic: Custom Fazer project so far...  (Read 25992 times)

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Custom Fazer project so far...
« on: 06 August 2012, 11:46:57 pm »
History about the bike: Currently the 6th owner and despite the bullet proof nature and the sheer awesomeness of the Fzs600, its had a rough time over the years (99 reg) mainly due to negligent inconsiderate people cyclists/car drivers who think its all right to knock another mans pride and joy over and leave without even a note of apology...b*astards! pardon my french soo a little tlc was in order.

Me: White collar city boy in early 20's that moonlights as a blue collar grease monkey, been riding for 2 1/2 years, mechanical skills errm around Haynes manual 3 star level :b , trying to be modest here but have the privilege of having far more mechanically savvy friends at hand.

Prologue: What started of as a case of a simple case of minor panel repairs and service (major in actuality) and a custom paint-job has now turned out to be a fully fledged custom project with some modifications that to the best of my knowledge are unprecedented with the Fazer 600. Nothing in particular was planned and we 'did it as we went along' but the vision i had was to create a sportier looking front end with practical headlights without resorting to a foxeye nose cone and headlights to create a truly unique fazer and bring it in to the 21st century. Some may say why? why not just buy another bike!?, in the words of my 1199 panegale owner friend 'a fazer is a fazer, nothing else like it' and I'm sure most on here would agree.

So i Thought id share my experience with fellow foccer's who have been extremely helpful over the years and where better to document the project than right here on the Fazer's owners club unofficial forum. Any comments, questions or advice welcome and  appreciated

Disclaimer: This project is not intended to be instructional and definitely not recommended by the manufacturer. 

Before: extensive damage to body/ paintwork. Front wheel bearing, leaking downpipes, seized front brake calliper etc...

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Fazer project so far...
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2012, 11:54:54 pm »
Chapter 1: Fibre glass repair on cracked pannels using chopped mat and resin. Finished with body filler to smoothen out the surface. Quite a straight forward process but prep work is the most time consuming i.e sandind down with various grit sand papers, going finer and finer to attain a smooth finish.

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2012, 12:22:14 am »
Stripping all pannels of ready for reapir and respray. New motad venom stainless steel downpipes, k&n air filter, ebc brake pads, fresh fluids and front brake calliper.

priming pannels and custom rainbow flip paint with a black base coat (didn't go with it in the end)

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2012, 12:36:44 am »
Mock up of the front fairing, idea was to make it more streamlined and curvaceous whilst getting rid of the blocky headlights (said headlights for sale) and replacing them with 2 projector lamps positioned vertically.

Plastic welded, fibre-glassed and  fillered front fairing.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2012, 12:40:27 am »
So it's YOU that's riding Jodie Marsh........  :lol
« Last Edit: 07 August 2012, 07:31:02 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2012, 01:06:08 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: 07 August 2012, 03:21:36 am by DarthFazer »

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2012, 10:37:53 am »
keep posting the pics. have a look at the "moto ecosse" website and check out that guys fazer. i dont know how to transfer a pic from there otherwise i would have done. also the "poly 26" french site has some interesting parts.

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2012, 10:50:44 am »
BTW, go to mcn.co.uk to search for the moto ecosse link.

Bias

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSF 650 Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Particularly the projector headlamp MOD as Im thinking about the same thing only putting them in the original holes and mocking up some sort of blanking plate behind them to make it all pretty

Anyway a good start and I hope you get it sorted and pretty :)

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2012, 11:14:10 pm »
Great recommendations caretaker, £10k fazer sounds like a dream bike, pitty i couldn't see a full picture on the MCN site. Id love to get my hands on the custom front fender from the poly 26 site, looks awesome!

Bias I think its a great idea, believe me it wont be as hard as it may seem, only a little over a week in the project and have made a lot of progress

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2012, 12:17:36 am »
Chapter 2: Headlight and bracket

Was only 5 days into the project and work on the headlights began. Fabricated a headlight bracket using the existing subframe and creating a housing for the projector lamps. My buddy Joe amongst other things , wonders with metal. After a lot of tweaking finally got them positioned and function correctly. Going to be using an LED strip light underneath the fairing as a daytime running light. End result? Headlights that actually work and look great!

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2012, 12:23:58 am »
pictures of headlight and bracket

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2012, 08:31:44 pm »
Is that a headlight from a Thumpstar?
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2012, 11:38:31 pm »
No headligthts are not from a thumpstar but 2 projector lights (one main and one dipped) with 40mm lenses. Bracket and headlight housing completely custom made from a sheet of  good'old stainless steel ;-)

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2012, 12:17:39 am »
Chapter 3: Custom Front Fairing

Was by far one of the most ambitious parts of the project so far. Aim was to create a curvier sportier front fairing whilst retaining the Fazers identity. Covered the little air scoop/vent at the bottom of the fairing to make it more streamlined. Also wanted the mirror swage-line follow through to the bottom of the pannel. After hours of fibre-glassing, filling, drilling, sanding and sculpting the end result speaks for itself. Going to get rid of the stock indicators and replace them with flush mount ones and have an LEd strip under the nose-cone as a DRL. 

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2012, 07:22:52 am »
Ooh, thats great that matey :D

You are a skilled sprayer then,nice skill to have,along with the workshop.Keep us updated.
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2012, 10:44:05 am »
Very impressive, looking forward to seeing it completed :)

Bias

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSF 650 Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2012, 10:44:20 am »
Now that looks like a very good result  :thumbup  Particularly the nice rounded edge where it meets the lamps. Top work matey

I assume you've already set the lamps up to summat like they should be in regards to beam alignment or is there enough room to do it with the fairing on ?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2012, 11:18:25 am »
nice one.....i like that...old sponge bob is looking a bit dated now.....great to see it finished  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

harry69koi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2012, 10:23:22 pm »
 :eek Great work m8ty,looks awsome so far  :)
live for the moment

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 August 2012, 09:23:19 pm »
Wow
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2012, 03:13:23 am »
Chapter 4: Final paint job/detailing.

Deciding a theme and a colour for the bike was quite challenging. After a lot of back and forth discussion with the team, Paula, the artist of our team suggested Camaro yellow aka bumblebee from the Transformers movie. I was quite adamant that we had a  stripe running down the tank and into the fairings to give it a sporty and racy look. We went for a slightly custom paint based on a Maserati yellow with a pearlescent fleck and several layers of lacquer to give it a deep gloss finish. For the stripes we went for a deep black taxi black and this was used on the custom logos of which we had stencils made. The pictures really don't do it justice but my bud Joe really knows how to work a paint-gun especially when he's tipsy!
« Last Edit: 13 August 2012, 05:55:31 am by DarthFazer »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2012, 06:44:19 am »
Chapter 4: Final paint job/detailing.

Deciding a theme and a colour for the bike was quite challenging. After a lot of back and forth discussion with the team, Paula, the artist of our team suggested Camaro yellow aka bumblebee from the Transformers movie. I was quite adamant that we had a  stripe running down the tank and into the fairings to give it a sporty and racy look. We went for a slightly custom paint based on a Maserati yellow with a pearlescent fleck and several layers of lacquer to give it a deep gloss finish. For the stripes we went for a deep black taxi black and this was used on the custom logos of which we had stencils made. The pictures really don't do it justice but my bud Joe really knows how to work a paint-gun especially when he's tipsy!

your teasing us now...................we want to see the pictures  :) :) :) :) :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2012, 08:42:29 am »
great job, you've ruined that garden chair though  :rolleyes
thou shalt not kick

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2012, 12:20:12 pm »
Apologies, ive been trying to upload the images to no avail, I'll try again later  ;)