Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:45 am

Author Topic: Tail section removal procedure?  (Read 581 times)

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Tail section removal procedure?
« on: 03 July 2022, 03:12:09 pm »
Hi all
I have fitted a bodge number plate light to my recently rear ended fz1s so I can still ride it while I wait for parts to arrive from fowlers (up to three weeks 🤬). While I was at it I checked how I would remove it later.

I've checked the service manual but it doesn't describe the actual procedure, the sticking point for me was how to remover the tool holder tray so the cables can be pushed out, the seat stay brackets prevent it from coming out the top way. Or is it a question of removing the side panels and splash guard so the entire subframe can be removed and the parts disassembled off the bike?

I'm sure I will figure it out eventually over a weekend of tantrums in the garage. If anyone knows the correct method I would greatly appreciate the input and only have to suffer half a day of tantrums (or maybe a whole day) 😅

Thanks 👍

*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Tail section removal procedure?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2022, 08:04:41 pm »
When I removed my rear mudguard for a tail tidy it was just a matter of disconnecting the indicators and number plate light and removing the 4 12mm bolts and the whole plastic assembly dropped down and the cables pulled through a hole. However someone had been in there before I think to make it easier as I understand Yamaha hid those connectors at the factory. Does this video help...

https://youtu.be/qE54XrM0z78

I have a spare tail tidy you are welcome to for collection from Gloucestershire or Banbury where I work or I can post it at cost. (Had to buy a different one to allow for a givi rack)

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Tail section removal procedure?
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2022, 10:40:43 pm »
When I removed my rear mudguard for a tail tidy it was just a matter of disconnecting the indicators and number plate light and removing the 4 12mm bolts and the whole plastic assembly dropped down and the cables pulled through a hole. However someone had been in there before I think to make it easier as I understand Yamaha hid those connectors at the factory. Does this video help...

https://youtu.be/qE54XrM0z78

I have a spare tail tidy you are welcome to for collection from Gloucestershire or Banbury where I work or I can post it at cost. (Had to buy a different one to allow for a givi rack)
Thanks for digging out that video, yes it was helpful as it appeared to me the cable hole is underneath the plastic tool holder tray but on the vid it looks to be just behind it although the N is slightly different because of the grab rail.

Thanks for the offer of the tail tidy but I'm one of the few who like the original tail piece, which was surprisingly cheap from Fowlers. The expensive bit was the rear cowl with intergrated handles at a whopping £260
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄