Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:03 pm

Author Topic: Total loss FZ1  (Read 576 times)

NathFZ1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Total loss FZ1
« on: 12 January 2022, 05:36:13 pm »
Hi

Would really welcome some advice on what to do here. I had an accident on my bike before Xmas - it was the driver's fault and his insurer has accepted liability. They've said my bike is a total loss (Cat N). They have given me a fairly good settlement (only £150 less than what I actually paid for the bike) and valued my bike at nearly £1k over what I paid for it (but I got a good deal on the bike and actually agree with the valuation). I don't think the repairs will cost the full amount which they have quoted for but I can't get a garage to quote for me with the insurer's engineer report. I really don't want to accept the settlement and find that there's more damage to the bike over and above what they have given me for the settlement (although I don't think there is but I do not know alot about the mechanics of bikes). So two questions really:

1. Is it worth accepting the settlement which I think is a good offer and take the bike back? The insurance company are refusing to buy it off me - they are offering a settlement + the salvage value which equals their valuation of the bike if I want to sell it

2. Can anyone recommend any reliable garages dealing with FZ1s in London who aren't going to rip me off?

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Total loss FZ1
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2022, 01:35:09 am »
Hmmm so they gave you some money plus your bike back?
Mechanic fees will most likely be the lions share of the costs, if you've an inclination to learn, some space and free time you could try the DIY approach, they've written it off because the costs outweigh the benefits for a reason. Exactly how bad is the damage?
« Last Edit: 14 January 2022, 01:38:54 am by beuleux »
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄