Date: 02-12-21  Time: 12:43 pm

Author Topic: help,help,help,help  (Read 304 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
help,help,help,help
« on: 24 November 2021, 04:23:40 pm »
Haven't posted for a bit,had a few problems,but anyway I'm in a right mess,I had to replace the throttle cables on my gen 2 fz1n and a bigger nightmare I can't recall anyway,after 3 days I got them in after loosening the throttle bodies to give me a bit more access.Put it all back together and it runs terrible,it starts ok on choke but as soon as you  twist the throttle it goes onto 2 cylinders and just bangs and will not run right,I've warmed it up so its off any kind of choke but it makes no diff at all.I took the tank back off thinking I must have left a wire or pipe off somewhere but nothing.I haven't got a clue where to look next and wondered if any of you guys might have some idea what I may have done.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: help,help,help,help
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2021, 06:25:59 pm »
I'm not familiar with the FZ1, but I'd think about checking the ignition coils are properly connected.

If it's not that, my next guess would be the fuel feed.

FazThou

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2021, 06:49:42 pm »
Also make sure you havent kinked the breather hoses under the tank

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2021, 12:08:09 am »
Thanks for those replies,I checked for any kinked or loose hoses first,a friend of mine said that it sounds as though I might have disturbed something down by the throttle bodies that deals with the fuelling but I wouldn't have a clue about that,I'm really just a pads and oil/filters bloke ,when it comes to anything technical I'm lost.I really wish I hadn't done this job it's just that my local yamaha dealer charges so much I didn't even get a quote.Hindsight's a great thing ay? I've just sent for a disc workshop manual off e/bay so I'll have a look at the throttle bodies on there and see if I have disturbed something.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2021, 08:52:28 am »
I've just sent for a disc workshop manual off e/bay so I'll have a look at the throttle bodies on there and see if I have disturbed something.

Why do people insist on paying for dodgy copies of manuals without checking the downloads section on here first?

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=4
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2021, 09:01:47 am »
Presume the bike was running fine before hand other than whatever issue there was with the cables? 

I had to replace the throttle cables on my gen 2 fz1n

Why?

Often what appears to be a throttle cable issue isn't, it's a injection fueling setting or fault.

Unfortunately things that often appear straightforward aren't, changing throttle cables is one of them especially on later R1's, FZ1 etc.  Requiring what appears to be an almost complete strip down of body parts and engine ancillaries. It's very likely you've either, not seated the throttle bodies, causing an air leak, disturbed the sub throttle servo motor/settings or broken something

Forget things like choke, its an injection system there is no choke.  Trying to troubleshoot this over an internet forum is likely to lead to you getting more frustrated or doing even more damage.     

What you do next really depends on what you're comfortable doing and your experience/knowledge?  You can either reverse/remove everything you've done and refit closely following the manual and checking each component/setting in turn. Bear in mind the factory manual doesn't tell you how to remove/replace just the cable, but how to remove/replace components to get at them.

Or you take it to someone who knows 

Later

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2021, 05:03:13 pm »
Really helpful my local yamaha dealers,one whom I've spent quite a few quid over the years, "we don't let our technicians talk to customers ","dunno mate you'll have to bring it in " "can you wear a mask ?" Next time I go in I'll pretend to be interested in buying a new bike,lead them a merry dance then foc off just to piss them off. ..........I'm in the shit. :'(

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2021, 09:45:57 pm »
My mate got a pic of some throttle bodies for sale on e/bay and noticed a couple of electrical components which must lead to the E.C.U. like gnasher said and I think I may have disturbed them in some way as they're right by where you put the cables on so we're going to have a looksee. :thumbup