Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:56 pm

Author Topic: Stem Nut.....advice  (Read 871 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Stem Nut.....advice
« on: 18 July 2015, 08:32:13 pm »
All, so i have no problem getting the lower ring nut and lock nut on the stem torqued....but 2 questions..

1. Aligment of the top and bottom yokes, i have just used the forks inserted through the bottom yokes and into the top to ensure things are square, i take it there is no special markers of aligment process....

2. Assuming the above is ok, i have managed to put about 60Nm on the top stem nut, but am now struggling to hold it, so am wandering if its crazy talk just to allow the bottom yoke with some padding to rest on its stops on one side to let me torque the stem top nut...

Any advice would be welcome!

Anutz

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Re: Stem Nut.....advice
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2015, 12:12:49 pm »
Ok so i have the whole assembly off  now, figured i would re-grease the bearings and clean things up...

Can anyone explain WHY there are 2 Lock Nuts and the Lock Washer, aside from the Top Stem Nut...

Looking at the Service Manual there is also a stipulation that you use 51Nm of Torque for the first tighten of the initial lock nut, the lower one, and then the second tighten is 18Nm

I assume this is to compress things first then just snug them down once we know all is compressed, i.e. torque to 51, then check bearings, then if ok losen and re-torque to 18Nm

Why the second nut....

Still also the query about using the stops on the bottom yoke

Anutz!

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Re: Stem Nut.....advice
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2015, 12:22:42 pm »
This seems to imply the above, i.e. one for the adjusting, i.e. compression of the bearings and one for then locking, then i assume you use the top one for the holding it all together  :lol

http://www.dansmc.com/steering_bearings.htm