Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:34 pm

Author Topic: What bikes do you have in your garage?  (Read 38056 times)

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes do you have in your garage?
« Reply #75 on: 19 March 2015, 09:07:21 pm »
desperately trying to get the bike run in to get the 1st service done before easter.the down side of having a brand new bike is being stuck to the bloody warranty !!

You do know there is more than one theory of how best to run a new bike in?

I realise there's different opinions on running them in, taking it gentle'ish for the first 600 miles makes sense to me, I really meant to say getting those 600 miles on the clock and the 1st service done by easter was the annoying thing because im away from home a lot over the next 3 weeks but want to get out and play more after easter without worrying about the milage/service issue.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 19 March 2015, 10:20:10 pm »
How do you find the fuel injection on a steady throttle? I have heard a couple of threads about the bike hunting slightly. Its a common thing with modern bikes these days, as the manufacturers are trying to get them to run as lean as possible. Some have it and some don't. I had a st 1050 sprint that was silky smooth and i now have a versys 650 that doesn't hunt at all, but it is very on / off, which is a pain on slow corners.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19 March 2015, 10:56:44 pm »
How do you find the fuel injection on a steady throttle? I have heard a couple of threads about the bike hunting slightly. Its a common thing with modern bikes these days, as the manufacturers are trying to get them to run as lean as possible. Some have it and some don't. I had a st 1050 sprint that was silky smooth and i now have a versys 650 that doesn't hunt at all, but it is very on / off, which is a pain on slow corners.

Ive watched loads of video's on youtube about the MT 09 TRACER and think there was only the 1 that criticised the F/i and he admited he was being very nit picking, its my first ever non carbed bike and ive only done 280 miles but im not having any obvious problems, I guess only more saddle time will tell, personaly im getting on fine with the bike.
will be sad to see my Fazer go this saturday but she served me well for the 3,500 miles I put on her.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 19 March 2015, 11:03:48 pm »
Good to hear it feels good. Enjoy! :)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 24 March 2015, 11:45:18 pm »
This cost me £80... Sold to good home :lol

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 24 March 2015, 11:48:16 pm »

£80?!? Ya bastid!!
The Deef's apprentice

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 25 March 2015, 06:11:31 am »
desperately trying to get the bike run in to get the 1st service done before easter.the down side of having a brand new bike is being stuck to the bloody warranty !!

You do know there is more than one theory of how best to run a new bike in?

I realise there's different opinions on running them in, taking it gentle'ish for the first 600 miles makes sense to me, I really meant to say getting those 600 miles on the clock and the 1st service done by easter was the annoying thing because im away from home a lot over the next 3 weeks but want to get out and play more after easter without worrying about the milage/service issue.

I collected my new MT-07 on 1st March but because of other demands on my time had only managed 340 miles up to last Thursday. Because so many new bikes were sold by my dealer they were expecting a lot coming in for 600 mile service before Easter.
So I booked the bike in for this coming Friday & last Friday did a 183 mile jaunt over the border and a circuit of some of my favourite roads in Powys.
Odo now showing 540 so must get a few more miles on today or tomorrow.
got a bit of a shock when dealer mentioned cost of this service(basically oil/oil filter & sump plug washer) = £138-24 & that includes a 20% discount!
Apparently they now have to check torque settings of most fasteners(Yamaha stipulation) so majority of cost is labour. At least it shouldnt have to revisit their workshop for  another 6000 miles(2 years for me).
I am seriously liking this bike & have just ordered a nice radiator guard from Germany as the rad is extremely vulnerable to stone damage.
Will post pics shortly.
5/10 years ago I would have gone for the Tracer-but the 07 is plenty enough for me to have fun on.
Cleaned Fazer yesterday & was reminded what a brilliant bike it is!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 25 March 2015, 08:42:49 am »
You have to pay labour on first services now? What is the world coming to?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 25 March 2015, 09:13:56 am »

Nick, seriously..I need to know how, where, what etc  did you manage to pick this up for £80.....and is he selling any more  :rolleyes
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 25 March 2015, 11:13:42 am »
Nickodemon...is that an fzr600 then is it?.....I sat on an fzr750 foxeye the other day and I was so surprised with how comfy it felt to me...ok I never rode it but the foot peg position was more relaxed than my thou with gilles and I felt like I was in it and it felt so light....I was seriously tempted.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 25 March 2015, 05:13:29 pm »
It is an fzr 600. I saw the advert on line and contacted the guy. He stayed about 1 1/2 mile away, so i went to see it and made an offer. He accepted :)  I then had to push the bike 1 1/2 miles back to my house. (It was all uphill) Without a word of a lie i thought i was going to collapse in the street :( . I thought i was clever.... i brought tools to remove the calipers because they were sticking...Unfortunately for me the chain was completely rusted solid. It felt like i was pushing a pan european with a flat tyre :grumble Got it home eventually (i think it took 45 mins) My missus said my face was purple :'(  I got stuck into it over the course of a month or so.. new battery, cleaning carbs etc... It ran really well and pulled cleanly, kept it for a few months and sold it on. I will never forget pushing that bike till the day i die. ;)

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 25 March 2015, 08:32:24 pm »

Dave 48, ive done 585 on the Tracer in a week ( helps being' retired ' / unemployed I guess ! ) so  got my 1st service booked for next tuesday, Fowlers do a 'while you wait ' service so I'll have to lose myself in Brizzle for the day but its a hell of a lot easier than getting the bus home and back again the next day.
im truly loving the Tracer, a great bike to ride either bimbling or 'making progress', bearing in mind ive been restriced to below 8,000 rpm it still shifts and the sound of the triple is growing on me, id love to stick the Acropovic on it but that will have to wait untill I get another job
as for you paying for the 1st service, I think your being mugged mate, as its meant to be free bar consumables, id look into it mate, maybe because your late in getting it done is the reason your getting charged ?  Enjoy the 07  :thumbup

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 25 March 2015, 08:44:25 pm »
It is an fzr 600. I saw the advert on line and contacted the guy. He stayed about 1 1/2 mile away, so i went to see it and made an offer. He accepted :)  I then had to push the bike 1 1/2 miles back to my house. (It was all uphill) Without a word of a lie i thought i was going to collapse in the street :( . I thought i was clever.... i brought tools to remove the calipers because they were sticking...Unfortunately for me the chain was completely rusted solid. It felt like i was pushing a pan european with a flat tyre :grumble Got it home eventually (i think it took 45 mins) My missus said my face was purple :'(  I got stuck into it over the course of a month or so.. new battery, cleaning carbs etc... It ran really well and pulled cleanly, kept it for a few months and sold it on. I will never forget pushing that bike till the day i die. ;)

Ha ha ha :lol ....good tale Nicko..........so £80 & a fair bit of blood, sweat and tears.....i cant see too many clean ones but they d look the part and are nice and retro looking.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 25 March 2015, 09:53:40 pm »

My missus actually wants me to have one of these and, spend money on it, get it so it looks nice, and (best of all) I never have to sell it. Its the bike I had when I met her. First time she ever got on any bike at all, she got on, said "its not that bad" I took off and went from Stoke to the services on the M5 where the M50 meets it without stopping. She was sort of shell shocked by the time we got there (it was a "busy" trip), and climbed back on after fuelling up with a sort of automatic "mind in neutral" look on her barely visible face. We then rode to Pembrey circuit without stopping, and put a tent up at some rally or other and I proceeded to let her see all the stupid sides of me I could muster. It didn't work, she still married me in the end. Now I need an FZR1000, I would buy my own back, but ive heard the guy uses it for racing, so im not likely to get that back cheaply.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 25 March 2015, 11:03:40 pm »
After the fzr 600 i bought this.... Used it for a few months and sold on... It was a cracking bike, but i couldn't justify keeping it as it was worth plenty and it hadn't turned a wheel for a couple of months..

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 26 March 2015, 06:27:05 am »
Nick, Im not one of those "something for nothing" types. But for any new bike purchaser to have to fork out a further £138 within 6 weeks of taking delivery!-Doesnt happen with cars now does it?
One more example of where motorcyclists are paying out proportionately more than cage owners-motorcycling is apparently a "leisure pursuit" & we are to be "milked" accordingly. :'(

Dave 48, ive done 585 on the Tracer in a week ( helps being' retired ' / unemployed I guess ! ) so  got my 1st service booked for next tuesday, Fowlers do a 'while you wait ' service so I'll have to lose myself in Brizzle for the day but its a hell of a lot easier than getting the bus home and back again the next day.
im truly loving the Tracer, a great bike to ride either bimbling or 'making progress', bearing in mind ive been restriced to below 8,000 rpm it still shifts and the sound of the triple is growing on me, id love to stick the Acropovic on it but that will have to wait untill I get another job
as for you paying for the 1st service, I think your being mugged mate, as its meant to be free bar consumables, id look into it mate, maybe because your late in getting it done is the reason your getting charged ?  Enjoy the 07  :thumbup
Pilgo, The service isnt overdue_ I paid list price for the bike less £100. According to the salesperson who I have known a few years & trust what he says, Yamaha are responsible for this hike in cost of 1st service as they stipulate a torque check of every important fastener(thats most of them then!) on the bike.Hence the increased labour cost.
Enjoy the MT-09.
At least I get a "free" loan bike for the day otherwise it would be three buses in bike gear!

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 26 March 2015, 10:47:18 pm »
Dave48, having reread your post I realised your service wasnt late, sorry about that.
ive just joined a MT owners forum, predominantly an american site but plenty of brits on there, this charge for the 1st service was mentioned in there, your right that it appears to be down to yamaha cancelling the free service from january 1st this year BUT some dealers appear to be still not charging for it, I'll be ringing my lot tomorrow about it plus a worrying comment that theres a recall on certain MT bikes, both 09 and the Tracer ?!!!!  Oh, and the fact they said my bike would be datatagged but it not being done ( I was so excited about picking the bike up I never noticed )

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 27 March 2015, 06:49:48 am »
Dave48, having reread your post I realised your service wasnt late, sorry about that.
ive just joined a MT owners forum, predominantly an american site but plenty of brits on there, this charge for the 1st service was mentioned in there, your right that it appears to be down to yamaha cancelling the free service from january 1st this year BUT some dealers appear to be still not charging for it, I'll be ringing my lot tomorrow about it plus a worrying comment that theres a recall on certain MT bikes, both 09 and the Tracer ?!!!!  Oh, and the fact they said my bike would be datatagged but it not being done ( I was so excited about picking the bike up I never noticed )
Thought they were all being datatagged now as Yamaha have signed up to the new industry approved anti-theft scheme. Yours should have been done by Fowlers I would have thought. Worth checking out.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 27 March 2015, 11:32:25 am »
Seems to me that yam and the dealers have pulled a right blinder here by lowering the price at the shop and then adding it back on at the service two weeks later.
As for recalls I dont like buying new stuff as soon as it comes out as there always seems to be recalls or "bugs" that only get found out once thousands of units are out there basically being tested by early adopters.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2015, 12:21:04 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 27 March 2015, 02:20:13 pm »
Seems to me that yam and the dealers have pulled a right blinder here by lowering the price at the shop and then adding it back on at the service two weeks later.
As for recalls I dont like buying new stuff as soon as it comes out as there always seems to be recalls or "bugs" that only get found out once thousands of units are out there basically being tested by early adopters.

Unfortunately, waiting for bugs to be ironed out can take rather a long time. Remember the recall on thousands of GSXRs not so long back, to do with the brakes? Some of those bikes had been on the road for years. But on balance, I think the manufacturers (Jap ones anyway) do very extensive testing before new models are released and catch most of any problems that might have arisen before release. Bound to be the odd thing that slips through, just the nature of these things. It wouldn't stop me buying new if that's what I wanted, unless I'd heard something really horrendous.

Very jealous of all you guys getting new bikes - no, doesn't mean I want rid of the  :faz - just makes me want something to keep it company in the garage. It'll happen soon (I keep promising myself  :rolleyes ). Well, probably not brand new, but hopefully something nice and fun.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 28 March 2015, 04:33:29 pm »
Well, I phoned Fowlers about the non datatagging of my bike, apparantly they were so busy , being the new registration date, that they run out of the kits and it will be done next tuesday at the 1st service !! Not the best start to a 2  year dealership 'association' me thinks.
as for the recall, they (Fowlers) have heard nothing so maybe its just a stateside thing BUT ive read on FJ09.ORG that owners are getting emails/phonecalls from their dealers saying  categorically NOT to ride their bikes, and people who have gone to pick their new bikes up and the dealership wont release the bikes to them  :eek    something to do with a shift shaft that could snap and lock the rear wheel up ? Unfortunately im away from home so unable to check my vin number againts the list of affected bikes, though none of the other Brits on the forum seem to be to bothered/affected so fingers crossed its a small batch of yank bikes.still not good though
oh, and thankfully Fowlers are still doing the 1st service free of labour charges  :woot
« Last Edit: 28 March 2015, 04:38:03 pm by pilgo »

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28 March 2015, 11:25:15 pm »
I've just bought this, sold my last one this time last year and decided it was time to get another.
K reg 9900 miles  :eek mint  :D

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 25 April 2015, 07:57:59 pm »
Just bought this.. Its a Gsxr 400 gk71f model. Now it's time to fettle :)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 17 May 2015, 12:10:43 am »
Anyone got a new bike in there garage they want to show?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 17 May 2015, 05:36:30 am »
Heres mine but its not in the garage! :lol