Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:29 am

Author Topic: Decibel police on the A272  (Read 1380 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Decibel police on the A272
« on: 27 November 2020, 08:31:41 am »
A “loud pipe unit” captured 3 riders a few days back, on the A272. As they approached one of the villages on that route they got a warning from an oncoming rider that that cops were about. They made sure they were well under 30, came round a bend and got pulled over by this unit. The cops agreed they were doing 26, but could hear the exhaust notes, so placed some microphone kit by the bike, which then got revved to 5k. Apparently excessive noise is considered to be 86db, but give some leeway to 90db. They all failed which incurred a 50 quid non endorsable fine. I think one got done for a small number plate as well. Is this what we’ve got to look forward to now.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Decibel police on the A272
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2020, 10:46:25 am »
I think this was inevitable, given the behaviour of the Loud Pipe brigade around Loomies etc.

Too many idiots have been blatting up and down the A272 and A32 for too long with too loud exhausts and pi$$ed off too many people to not have "something done".

Yes, I'm sure some bikers think that loud pipes will save their lives and some cars are louder and they like the sound and so on, but the fact is that there's legal limits on the noise level from an exhaust so, just like speed limits, if you go over that, you're taking the chance of getting pulled and you have to accept the consequences.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2020, 01:21:52 pm »
I think this was inevitable, given the behaviour of the Loud Pipe brigade around Loomies etc.

Too many idiots have been blatting up and down the A272 and A32 for too long with too loud exhausts and pi$$ed off too many people to not have "something done".

Yes, I'm sure some bikers think that loud pipes will save their lives and some cars are louder and they like the sound and so on, but the fact is that there's legal limits on the noise level from an exhaust so, just like speed limits, if you go over that, you're taking the chance of getting pulled and you have to accept the consequences.

:agree
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2020, 02:53:50 pm »
See i think it's perfectly reasonable in built up areas/villages etc but out on the open road is shouldn't matter.
Also I think its unfair to stop the bikes then record them are a certain rpm,  if they're going to have this test then I think they should be like a speed camera where it records you going past then captures your plate. The idea being that when you come to a built up you knock the bike up into a higher gear and quietly cruise through then you can drop a few and rev the tits off of it once your back out on the open road.
That way you only get caught when your being stupid or inconsiderate (like speeding)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2020, 03:09:49 pm »
See i think it's perfectly reasonable in built up areas/villages etc but out on the open road is shouldn't matter.
Also I think its unfair to stop the bikes then record them are a certain rpm,  if they're going to have this test then I think they should be like a speed camera where it records you going past then captures your plate. The idea being that when you come to a built up you knock the bike up into a higher gear and quietly cruise through then you can drop a few and rev the tits off of it once your back out on the open road.
That way you only get caught when your being stupid or inconsiderate (like speeding)

Sounds good in theory but all the feccin Nimbys bought their houses in the countryside under that airport flightpath and now want a quiet life. Personally, I have a loud(er) exhaust and will carry on using it. I dont scream the nuts off the bike all the time and I do have the baffle in so shouldnt have a problem with teh dB police.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2020, 05:06:26 pm »
Won't matter soon when we're all electric :'(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2020, 08:00:36 pm »
Then people will moan that they keep getting run over as they can't hear bikes coming. :rolleyes

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2020, 01:30:55 pm »
I wonder what perimeters they set considering a stock FZ1 makes 95db @ 5500rpm static as printed on the frame sticker

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2020, 02:20:48 pm »
I can only presume that if it doesn't exceed 90db at 5k, it's ok. Whether different constabularies will set their own parameters, is anyones guess. Germany has done roadside db checks for a few years now, and Austria has banned bikes on something like 100kms of road. Glad I've had almost 60 years of biking, because the next 60 will be shit.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2020, 03:02:36 pm »
Surely if it's a OE exhaust and it's passed an mot, there's nothing they can do?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2020, 03:37:52 pm »
Yes, I'm sure some bikers think that loud pipes will save their lives,
2 things -
  • Even cans that are just technically louder, and don't piss people off will incur a fine regardless. Then there is F-loud cans, that you can hear inside your home through double glassed windows, that just piss everyone off.
  • Im not advocating race cans on the road here, but 20+ yrs of riding into London has clearly demonstrated that, just removing the baffle from a road can and having HID/LED lights has saved me from so many near misses I have lost count.
When we have a chronic shortage of police doing real and verifiable tasks that cut down on crimes that ruin peoples lives, we instead have chief cuntstables who would rather make a quick buck and continue to erode whats left of tenuous trust between the public and themselves.

And on the subject of intransigent police behavior, this morning I read of a 17yr old learner initially getting 3 points on his provisional for being a few feet over a stop line. But the kid took it to magistrates court and beat it, with the magistrate in this instance using some basic common sense. The police as usual refused to concede any quarter, instead peddling their usual copy and pasted claptrap

- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54327181

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2020, 05:04:02 pm »
I put mine to bone stock for a trip to the peak District in the autumn as ive heard too many stories about plods going by book and i just dont want the hassle these days. If i start getting my cage rattled for doing absolutely nothing wrong i think ill knock biking on the head and take up something more socially acceptable, like poaching or something.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2020, 06:59:02 pm »
Even cans that are just technically louder, and don't piss people off will incur a fine regardless.

How do you know this? Sure, there's probably some Jobworth Plods out there like the ones who tried to fine the Learner you mentioned, but if bikers don't give them a reason (or an excuse) by not riding with straight pipes in the first place, the issue wouldn't arise.

When we have a chronic shortage of police doing real and verifiable tasks that cut down on crimes that ruin peoples lives

That's not down to the Police, that's down to governments cutting numbers and resources and then pushing a Target Driven culture that counts "success" as the number of prosecutions without bothering about what they're *for*.

If they see pulling some bikers and fining them for being too noisy as a way of ticking a few extra boxes and making the local MP happy, then that's what they'll do.