Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:56 pm

Author Topic: Speedo Sensor Needed  (Read 7957 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo Sensor Needed
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2014, 03:33:59 pm »
That's the badger. I'll message him now. Where do u live red? I'm in South Wales.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 March 2014, 08:07:09 am »
small rub on wire.through to metal but not broken.should still work.
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 March 2014, 10:11:21 am »
This is what insulation or self-amalgamating tap were designed for ^^

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 March 2014, 01:54:30 pm »
Yes indeed mr dead......just dont want to hide any nasties when selling to a fellow foccer  :)......anyway.its a fab day why you not out on the mighty thou ?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 March 2014, 04:49:20 pm »
Just giving piece of mind ^^

I was just out on the thou, had just finished breakfast before I posted that message haha

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 March 2014, 02:30:35 pm »
So I just got the part from Red and Christo (cheers both) and I'm gonna stick it on and see if this resolves my problem. Quick question for you guys though, what would you use to lubricate the drive dog and sensor? I was going to pack a little multi-purpose geese in there, what do you think?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 March 2014, 04:08:28 pm »
So I just got the part from Red and Christo (cheers both) and I'm gonna stick it on and see if this resolves my problem. Quick question for you guys though, what would you use to lubricate the drive dog and sensor? I was going to pack a little multi-purpose geese in there, what do you think?

I hope Lithium grease is ok coz that's what i stuck on...i didnt pack it though...the dog needs to spin, i just went lightly over it with my finger & inside the rim & over the gasket type part on the face.

I also smeared it around the wheel bearings & over the centre pin for the wheel.

& i used copper slip on all the high heat areas on the caliper bolts & brake hose bolts.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2014, 04:47:11 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 March 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
It's alive! Fitted the part and all working, just used multi purpose in the end.

Wasn't as easy as it should've been though. Checked the sensor and was working fine, because of the little rub through on the "new" sensor wire I opted to cut the wire at the top heat shrink where it had rubbed and then resolder at the top. This was all a piece of cake.

Greased everything and pushing the axle through and it just wouldn't go in, checked and the axle wouldn't fit through the sensor which is odd but hey ho. So I ended up using the dremel to sand the inside collar of the sensor just enough to get the axle through. Just took it for a test and all is good :) my plan was to change the oil and filter today too but that'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

When I had a look at the old sensor the only thing I could see was down the bottom where the wire attached to the sensor the wire insulation had pulled up and away exposing the wires (not bare wires) and I guess moisture got in there and focced it up. It started with the speedo giving odd readings, reacting to other electrics like indicators and then just died. Just thought I'd recap incase anyone has a similar problem.

Thanks again to all you guys on here helpin me source a part and advice along the way :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 March 2014, 08:18:35 am »
glad you got it sorted  ;) ....strange about the axle ............

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
  • I feel more like I do now than I did Yesterday
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 April 2014, 10:28:07 pm »
Hia lads.
Screendumped the yam part for the numbers. Pagetts fitted my new front tyre about a fortnight ago. When he pulled the wheel out, bits of  dog fell out all over the floor ! (Wasn't his fault - it has been squeeling like a pig for a while) Could only rescue a single tang, and he superglued it back on, and warned me these things are an arm and a leg to buy!(I assume he's talking about the whole unit - of which the rest of mine is fine)so my questions are - how much is it for just that bit? where to buy without getting my pants pulled down over the price, and is it easy enough to swap out for the old one?Circlip? push fit? wifes Y fronts elastic? what?
 I didn't want to touch mine whilst his superglue was holding - until halfway home tonight. Speedo flicked a couple of times, and dropped dead. I reckon the previously superglued (Single) tang finally gave up the ghost.
MOT on the 21 st (sods law!) so need to act fast - cos he does check it on the rolling road thing......
Regards - Gazbo
The Reaper Returns !

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 April 2014, 10:33:24 pm »
Hia lads.
Screendumped the yam part for the numbers. Pagetts fitted my new front tyre about a fortnight ago. When he pulled the wheel out, bits of  dog fell out all over the floor ! (Wasn't his fault - it has been squeeling like a pig for a while) Could only rescue a single tang, and he superglued it back on, and warned me these things are an arm and a leg to buy!(I assume he's talking about the whole unit - of which the rest of mine is fine)so my questions are - how much is it for just that bit? where to buy without getting my pants pulled down over the price, and is it easy enough to swap out for the old one?Circlip? push fit? wifes Y fronts elastic? what?
 I didn't want to touch mine whilst his superglue was holding - until halfway home tonight. Speedo flicked a couple of times, and dropped dead. I reckon the previously superglued (Single) tang finally gave up the ghost.
MOT on the 21 st (sods law!) so need to act fast - cos he does check it on the rolling road thing......
Regards - Gazbo

Hey gazbo, i see you are new so you prob havent quite got to grips with navigating the site yet, welcome......it is attack of the speedo sensors at the mo...like last year when everyone kept crashing their 600's :evil .....

Anyway someone else asked this morning & i gave them the earlier link.

Just click on this link to another thread on the topic

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,12498.0.html
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 April 2014, 11:06:28 am »
The drive is £16ish from Main dealer. The sensor and drive is about £130. From what you've said it's only the drive you need and there a pice of pee to fit. Calipers off, pinch bolts loose, axle out, grease, fit drive and reverse.  :D

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 April 2014, 11:15:27 am »
Cheers Lads. Bought the dog.Just waiting for it landing now.
Maybe here tonight.
Q. So how is it held into the unit then? Circlip maybe?
I only ask cos I'm really limited for time, and am using the bike for work, so it's going to be an sas job (Quick out-quick in) Can't afford to be off t' road at all.
MOT due on 18th, so will want to do the swap before then (Yes he does check it on the rolling road when he tests me anchors- which are also up for some pre MOT  bleeding - incidentally)
I didn't get a good look at the knackered dog when they were doing me nu tyre, so was just unsure how to strip the old dog out of it's housing- thats all.
(I'm an engineer, so am ok with competency etc. Got all the tackle,Just haven't attacked this particular job before, and don't wanna screw the pooch (Dog) if ya follows....)
PS. I do know about getting it back into the wheel right ! That's a given. It wasnt me wot dun it wrong lasdt time, as I'd never had the wheel out.
One bonus came out of all this though.....I thought the squeeking sound was me wheel bearings. It was obviously the loose dog's lugs rubbing round inside the unit.
Padgetts Superglue job had given me about a weeks running though, but I wasn't counting on it. Rightly so - apparently.
Thanks again for the help. Nice to know you're there lads.
Gazbo
The Reaper Returns !

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 April 2014, 11:25:03 am »
Probably take you about 15 mins mate. It's simple, nothing holds it place, when you see the sensor it'll make sense, but on the near side of the front wheel the dog will slide into the sensor unit collar first with the lugs facing out (put a little grease on it) then line the lugs up with the wheel, a well placed foot to hold the front wheel in place while you slide the axle through and tighten up. Simples.

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 April 2014, 09:47:44 pm »
 :rolleyes  O wow ! embarrassing that. Must be my engineering background - fully expecting all moving parts to be "Physically retained" ! (Although now I've eyeballed it - well yes - where was it going to go anyway ? :rollin
Anyway - Got home this teatime. Biggest pizza box I've seen since I waz propper greedy, with the little  Dog hiding in the corner. Looks totally different to the original, with it's nice Dalek - like slots around it.(T'other was just smooth - bore). You were right. Propper "lump of urine " to do. I bet I was 5 mins to pitstop it out & new one in. Took longer to get the Arse end strapped down ! Now nicely GP greased, tangs correctly located (After a bit of a faff about). Back up and running. I even tightened my downpipes to stop the "engine is trying to destroy itself " sound, caused by a wayward gasket in No. 3 port, flapping in the draught('Speshly on tick over). Amazing how the downpipes amplify this fluttering noise. My mechanic mate diagnosed " soon to give birth to con-rod "! So that's done too -nice and quiet again. And all before er-indoors shouted " Oy - fatso - Tea's ready.
Paid a bit extra.
 F.Y.I. AJ Suttons (via fleabay) had it for 25 spondooliks, and DPD delivery. so I bit the bullet, rather than muck about. Sorted ! Thanks again all.  :D  I'll be back.
The Reaper Returns !

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 April 2014, 10:34:15 pm »
So I have this problem also, had my front tyre changed today and now speedo is not working at all. Do. Need to be looking for just the tab washer (drive dog) or is it a complete unit inc the cable and everything?

New to bikes so any help is appreciated !

Danny

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 April 2014, 10:39:13 pm »
Apologies didn't realise there where two pages to the forum. Question now answered, would be helpful though if anyone who has bought the washer could post a website I could purchase one. Thanks again everyone

Danny
« Last Edit: 17 April 2014, 10:40:16 pm by Macca4786 »