Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:03 pm

Author Topic: ivan kit  (Read 1287 times)

Dodsy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
ivan kit
« on: 11 June 2022, 11:11:16 am »
bought my fazer fzs 1000 2005 model in 2019 previous owner  said it had an ivan kit on it including an akropovic exhaust but  it still has the ais system fitted anbody know what the ivan system entails and can i put the standard exhaust back on thanks in advance

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: ivan kit
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2022, 01:37:24 pm »
Basically it's a carb  jet kit. There's two levels of the kit, the basic MB which doesn't require a freer flowing can or any other mods. The "full monty" uses different jet sizes to the MB and needs a freer flowing exhaust and is accompanied by the air box mod and installation of a K&N type air filter. Most people remove the AIS, even if only for easier spark plug access, but its presence has nothing to do with Ivanizing, no matter which kit is on your bike. If you've got a stock air cleaner, than at best you've got an MB kit fitted. Without delving into the carbs, I don't see any other way of telling if it's Ivanised.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2022, 03:18:56 pm »
Slight correction on the previous post. :)

The basic Ivan's installation uses what he terms as the Slip-On kit.  This one was the original kit that Ivan created which works with either the standard exhaust can or an aftermarket can. Once installed, you can switch between cans without having to make any adjustments to the carb settings.

A year or two after the Gen 1 hit the market, several different aftermarket performance header systems from the likes of Akrapovic, Yoshimura and Muzzy became available and Ivan came up with a second jet kit, the MB kit (stands for Modified 'Box - ie, airbox) which has larger main jets than the Slip-On kit and also a different needle profile.

Ivan subsequently found that his MB kit could be fitted to a Gen 1 with stock headers and a less restrictive can and that provided certain other mods were made to the airbox lid, the air filter and the intake stubs, this gave gains almost comparable with the full aftermarket header systems.  This is the installation which became known as The Full Monty in the UK.

To check which version you have installed, start by checking the airbox lid and air filter.  If the snorkel inside the lid has been cut in half and you find a K&N or Pipercross type filter, you almost certainly have a Full Monty set up.

If the airbox lid and filter are standard, you could still have Ivan's Slip-On kit installed.  To confirm this, remove one of the carb tops and take out the throttle slide.  Look closely at the spring.  If one end has been clipped it will be obvious.  The standard spring end coils form a perfect circle; a clipped end will be bent down by about 30 degs and will not look the same.

If you're still unsure, look at the needle profile.  If it is tapered but totally constant along the exposed length, it's probably a stock needle.  Ivan's needle is made of polished steel and has subtle but noticeable variations in diameter.

Hope this helps. :)

sven5158

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2022, 12:36:53 am »
hi guys im new here but this is the post im looking for . so im thinking of the ivans so kit just to make the bike run smother i have read that some people have had problems in uk rather than in usa . whats your thoughts ? . also i belive that on the ivans kit you wind out the mix screws 5 times has anyone found the sweet spot in the uk ?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2022, 09:52:56 am »
Not sure what you've read about problems with Ivan's kits fitted to UK bikes, Sven.  What have you seen to suggest this is the case?

Sounds like the original Slip-On kit from Ivan is the one that will provide the improvements you desire, no need to do the extra work for the Full Monty.

I suggest you try the mixture screws set to 4 1/4 turns out initially.  I found that to give consistent results.

sven5158

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2022, 12:31:03 pm »
awsome 4 1/4 thats the advise i needed gonna make sure this dose not have a kit on already mine seems to run rich . ill pop the top off to see if the spring has been clipped

bikeownerus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2022, 10:13:16 pm »
Many thanks for the insight re: full or partial Ivanisation. I believe my Gen 1 is fully ivanised and have just started to notice external cracks on the inlet rubbers.

One of the previous comments suggested that the Full Monty included modified "Intake stubs" - does this refer to the inlet rubbers and, if so, what mods would have been done? Just in case I need to replace mine in time (currently superficial cracking I believe).

Many thanks

Doug

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2022, 07:46:49 am »
The inlet mod is just a little bit of reshaping  to match the ports better I believe.Most cracks are superficial surface only, spray some wd40 or similar over them when idling and see if it picks up or splutters, if not don't worry about them.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2022, 07:48:11 am by Captain Haddock »
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

bikeownerus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2022, 09:54:23 pm »
OK - thanks.
I have sort of learnt this lesson - I did a complete inlet rubber replacement job on my 600 Fazer and realised that the 'cracks' were miniscule in comparison to the thickness of the rubber mounts. The bike is running perfect so, as my Dad said, don't fix what ain't broke!