Date: 01-05-24  Time: 09:45 am

Author Topic: The Stranglers  (Read 2323 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
The Stranglers
« on: 17 March 2015, 12:27:39 pm »
For Christmas my eldest boy bought me tickets to see The Stranglers in concert, at Portsmouth Guildhall. With support from the Rezillos.
 What a great night. The Rezillos act was full of energy and had the crowd of 50(age not how many)something punks jumping around like loons.
The Stranglers were amazing too. I didn't know much of their newer stuff but some great tunes to keep the crowds buzzing, with their old classics getting some old codgers jumping about like wizzed up teenagers. JJ was at his belligerent best on Bass and new lead singer (since 2000)Baz Warne doing a brilliant job of taking the piss out of the Southern shandy drinking bastards for calling him a Geordie twat when clearly he's from Sunderland. Dave Greenfield on Keyboards was superb with his Doors esque playing. We even had Jet Black on the drums for 4 songs(The guys 74 now)
Quite simply, if you get the chance to see them, go. A 2 hour set, of some brilliant music by master musicians who play brilliantly together.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: The Stranglers
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
I saw they were touring, I had been thinking about seeing them again, glad to see that they are still worth going to see! I first saw them 1978/79 at Bridlington Spa and again in Sheffield in the early 80's (twice I think), a great band in their day. I'm going to see Simple Minds in 3 weeks time!  :D

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
I saw them playing at Liverpool Uni in about 1980. They had a packed and enthusiastic audience, but the band soured the whole atmosphere by obviously not wanting to be there. They had a massive chip on their shoulders about further education and didn't like that they were playing a venue full of "overprivileged, elitist" students with no "townies".

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2015, 01:46:44 pm »
That's a shame when a band has an attitude like that for paying customers. Last night they were truly brilliant and loved it. They also seemed the best of mates together which showed

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Estuarybiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2015, 01:50:49 pm »
Saw them at Cilffs Pavilion last year.  I agree a top night and good to see them playing on. 

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2015, 02:34:06 pm »
Saw them live at Carlisle market hall around 79 jjb booted my mate in the face for trying to invade the stage ha quality---saw the rezillos warm up for the boomtown rats they were shite to be honest but i guess this gig would brig back some brilliant memories(foc it already has jam/damned/clash/buzzcocks/pistols/stiff little fingers-- woohoo im not dead yet!!!!!!!!!!!
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2015, 02:49:39 pm »
I saw them playing at Liverpool Uni in about 1980. They had a packed and enthusiastic audience, but the band soured the whole atmosphere by obviously not wanting to be there. They had a massive chip on their shoulders about further education and didn't like that they were playing a venue full of "overprivileged, elitist" students with no "townies".

Odd, I saw them at Sheffield Poly they didn't seem to have any problems with us. 

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
saw them as part of a double header with Blondie at the Liverpool echo arena a few years ago........both groups seemed rushed tbh but that was more down to the LEA having very strict time guidelines so no rapport with audience or encores, just straight into song after song

fazer rider........was that the Mountford hall gig.........someone kept gobbing on Hugh and he eventually got a towel and stopped the set and told the individual that those days were long gone......

I love the music but to me, Hugh's voice was such that he was the Stranglers and when he left, I couldn't really take to the new voice (same with Queen)

Dinger.......are you THE Dinger? (pm me if you want)
fire never sleeps

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2015, 03:35:39 pm »
i just got tickets to see them in june down at eden project, alongside ... Motorhead!!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2015, 04:00:48 pm »
That's a shame when a band has an attitude like that for paying customers.

That reminds me, a few years ago I saw Van Morrison at Rochester Castle.
He came on didn't say hello, goodbye or thanks for coming etc. Just did his set and left with no encore. Miserable cnut.

Admittedly the music was very good but that's not the point.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2015, 08:09:03 pm »
Blimey that takes me back Mike I saw them in pompey when I was in the navy and I left in 1980. Must have been 79 as I was on the :eek Cardiff at the time. :eek
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2015, 08:42:56 pm »
i just got tickets to see them in june down at eden project, alongside ... Motorhead!!

Seen Motorhead a few times. VERY loud. That will make those greenhouses rattle a bit!. Quite a diverse audience at the gigs. Think they are/were about the only metal band that the punk fans followed almost as much as the metalheads. Enjoy! :guitar.