Date: 17-05-24  Time: 18:33 pm

Author Topic: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?  (Read 38545 times)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« Reply #125 on: 04 July 2013, 05:43:23 pm »
Incidentally, the https file hasn't worked :\

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 04 July 2013, 05:51:35 pm »
Sorry Simon, having looked at how it works it's not going to work out. I thought the option was to opt into censoring, however it is to log out of it. This means that everyone will have their posts censored and there would be endless "why are my posts being censored" threads. I've had a look and there are no modifications to change this. Maybe in a future version it will be available.

not so, the censor is applied to the forum theme/skin in SMF, and so you would only need a theme/skin (which could be a carbon copy of this one) with the censor option turned off and so users could either opt in or out depending on the theme they select?

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=483367.0

Also, im not sure how it works exactly on SMF, but on the vbulletin forum I use, its possible to only have a word censor applied to certain usergroups, so you could also make an opt-in usergroup which disables the censor on a per user basis, but SMF may work in a different manner, which, if going by the theme censor option mentioned in the link above, it does.

« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 05:53:05 pm by mickvp »

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 04 July 2013, 05:53:48 pm »
That's brilliant! Just the custom file to sort now.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 04 July 2013, 06:04:46 pm »
did you: "Upload the file to your Sources folder, go to the Admin area, check out the Aeva section, enable the custom sites at the bottom and save your choices. You can now start embedding them in your posts." ?

also : "!!!!!! DON'T FORGET TO RENAME THE FILE AND REGENERATE THE SITE LIST !!!!!!"

Be aware it'll be listed in the custom section of the admin area

I've looked at the source on my Ubuntu server and it seems like the CRLF's are okay.  I may have misunderstood the changes I need to make as I'm a simple lad and I can't find anyone who's already done it that I can crib from  ;) .

My motto was always not to do work if someone else has done it already.  I'm inherently lazy.  Please understand I want to help, but I'm not familiar with SMF or your config, my I.T. knowledge is very general.  I'll have another butchas.

There wasn't an error message, return code, error log or anything telling you how I'd screwed up ?
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 06:24:36 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 04 July 2013, 06:05:49 pm »
that bb code thing is really weird.  The post looks fine when I post it, but when it appears it's changed.  it appear to be when you use copy and paste then edit between the tags.  It also sometimes seems to double space the carriage returns.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 06:08:29 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 04 July 2013, 06:26:07 pm »
blokes, with the greatest of repect to both sides of the argument, one of the reasons i and most of my generation love bikes is because we can still rebel a little bit, still be outside of the norm, still not conform to all the rules imposed on us, get away with a little bit of fun now and then etc..censorship will kill everything eventually, until then i'll stick with forums that dont have it. everybody self polices to a cetain extent, some not so much so, but isnt that what freedom of speech is all about? i passed my test in '77, ridden a lot of bikes and done a lot of miles, presently i have a harley, a busa and a fazer thou, and attending bike meets meeting fellow riders in those three very different categories inevitably involves meeting everybody from outright wankers thru to gen good guys and keen bikers, you just gotta accept everybody is different, but we are all united by our love of bikes. isnt that all that matters? if times got hard and they all had to go id have just as much fun on an old aircooled rd250 or summat, as long as i could ride and enjoy my life and my freedoms, such as they are(including free thinking and free speaking bike forums). most racist/sexist stuff is pretty much tongue in cheek nowadays, some of its funny (to me at least) some of it isnt, some of it is offensive and puerile, but its just life, and how life is. theres quite enough people out there in power chewing themselves up about this and making laws to kill it without us doing it from the inside. just my opinion...

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 04 July 2013, 06:37:10 pm »
blokes, with the greatest of repect to both sides of the argument, one of the reasons i and most of my generation love bikes is because we can still rebel a little bit, still be outside of the norm, still not conform to all the rules imposed on us, get away with a little bit of fun now and then etc..censorship will kill everything eventually, until then i'll stick with forums that dont have it. everybody self polices to a cetain extent, some not so much so, but isnt that what freedom of speech is all about? i passed my test in '77, ridden a lot of bikes and done a lot of miles, presently i have a harley, a busa and a fazer thou, and attending bike meets meeting fellow riders in those three very different categories inevitably involves meeting everybody from outright wankers thru to gen good guys and keen bikers, you just gotta accept everybody is different, but we are all united by our love of bikes. isnt that all that matters? if times got hard and they all had to go id have just as much fun on an old aircooled rd250 or summat, as long as i could ride and enjoy my life and my freedoms, such as they are(including free thinking and free speaking bike forums). most racist/sexist stuff is pretty much tongue in cheek nowadays, some of its funny (to me at least) some of it isnt, some of it is offensive and puerile, but its just life, and how life is. theres quite enough people out there in power chewing themselves up about this and making laws to kill it without us doing it from the inside. just my opinion...
We've moved on from that  ;) .  Your point is in the majority of the forum too.  It is possible through I.T. to make everyone happy all of the time with little effort.  People create plugins and apps which will selectively censor things for people that want it, and not for those that don't.

We're not all the same and I.T. makes computing flexible enough to cater for that.  Purely from a legal/litigation perspective if you want to be racist/sexist/homophobic it's much better to do it verbally in a biker caff than in a web site through which you are directly accountable for your posts.  This isn't an escape from life, this is just someone to chat and have a laugh and if we can do so in a fun and amusing way great.

BUT.  I've given up on it anyway.  what we're looking at now is just to change a gaffer tape fix for http/https in to a proper kosha resolution.  We're just a few I.T. geeks having a bit of fun trying to make something work the way it's supposed to.

I don't want to change anyone.  I just wanted the forum to be used in the same way as you would a day to day conversation in public with a load of friends and strangers who can't read your body language and understand if your post is serious or sarcastic.  That's not gonna happen.  I have no issue with that.  This has been done to death.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 04 July 2013, 07:01:03 pm »
did you: "Upload the file to your Sources folder, go to the Admin area, check out the Aeva section, enable the custom sites at the bottom and save your choices. You can now start embedding them in your posts." ?
- yes, yes, yes, but there is no custom sites at the bottom.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 04 July 2013, 07:58:07 pm »
My PHP syntax function closing was erroneous.  Pls try enclosed if you so desire. :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 04 July 2013, 08:04:14 pm »
*tsk* *tsk*

Didn't run it through a syntax checker? Bad simon :P

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 04 July 2013, 08:06:07 pm »
*tsk* *tsk*

Pfooey.  Talk to the hand ;-).   :finger :uhuh

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 04 July 2013, 09:20:43 pm »
*tsk* *tsk*

ADMINS!!!

I am quite positively shocked and horrified by such a crass display!! It offends my delicate senses! Please, censor it!! Remove it at once!!  :thumbdown :eek

You have hurt my innocence so badly.. I'm quite traumatised!!!  :'( :'(

Point proven, methinks.  :stop
The Deef's apprentice

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 04 July 2013, 09:26:08 pm »
*tsk* *tsk*

ADMINS!!!

I am quite positively shocked and horrified by such a crass display!! It offends my delicate senses! Please, censor it!! Remove it at once!!  :thumbdown :eek

You have hurt my innocence so badly.. I'm quite traumatised!!!  :'( :'(

Point proven, methinks.  :stop

I had very little issue with swearing unless it was vulgar, profuse or out of context.  I thought I said that a few times.  So ner.  Besides there are no forum rules governing my behaviour  :lol

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 04 July 2013, 09:28:43 pm »
Besides there are no forum rules governing my behaviour  :lol

Our original argument exactly. And if you had your way...  :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes
The Deef's apprentice

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 04 July 2013, 09:44:08 pm »
Here we go again  :rolleyes
By the way Christo, have been thinking about your idea of coming over for a cuppa. After due consideration, I have decided it would be Ok if:
1. I can have my solicitor present
2. If you're bringing Exupnut, I can also have the local trauma counsellor here.
3. You pay for any resulting therapy I may require.
4. All this to be produced in a legal document, all parties to sign
PS
I'm afraid I don't have any lentils in the cupboard...

« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 09:49:16 pm by nick crisp »

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 04 July 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
Still no custom sites, and am out of time until after 18th.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 04 July 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
Here we go again  :rolleyes
By the way Christo, have been thinking about your idea of coming over for a cuppa. After due consideration, I have decided it would be Ok if:
1. I can have my solicitor present
2. If you're bringing Exupnut, I can also have the local trauma counsellor here.
3. You pay for any resulting therapy I may require.
4. All this to be produced in a legal document, all parties to sign
PS
I'm afraid I don't have any lentils in the cupboard...

Don't worry Nick, just making a point to Si. I'm not normally this psychotic!!  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 04 July 2013, 11:04:44 pm »
Don't believe him! Its a friggin lunatic! CRAZY I TELL YOU! CRAZZZZZYYY!!!!

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 05 July 2013, 01:24:02 am »
Why are we still pandering to this light weight pussy, for fucks sake admin kick this twat out and get back to reality. This guy is worse that a two year old throwing his toys out his pram as he can't stand bad language and a bit of banter. :z...... Worse than a hormonal woman on her dabs I tell you
« Last Edit: 05 July 2013, 01:26:53 am by bigbluebear »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 27 July 2013, 04:45:33 pm »
I always thought that for the most part this was a polite and well mannered forum. I don't see why everyones posts should be filtered just to suite a few people. Personally I've always been offended by the word fazer. Can we change fazer to fluffy pink elephant?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 27 July 2013, 04:53:13 pm »
Someone must be bored to reignite this thread... :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 27 July 2013, 05:01:45 pm »
Oh sorry I didn't notice the date. Has the heat died down from this? Have we moved on and found something new to be outraged by like how green grass is :lol

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 28 July 2013, 01:03:15 am »
Oh sorry I didn't notice the date. Has the heat died down from this? Have we moved on and found something new to be outraged by like how green grass is :lol

Thats actually quite offensive as my grass has gone all brown!!!!!!    ;)

codgie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - volvo 220 LS
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 29 October 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
A forum for bikers and he doesn't like swearing..... For fucks sake it works both ways as we have to listen to the 'do gooders' the 'politically correct' 'pinkie in the air tea cup drinkers' riding in with white armoured boring as fuck shite......bet you all dress like 70 year old grannies

Ah I see.  This forum has to be kept as a shrine to pub fuelled snooker table populated, cigarette smoking male testosterone ?

Yes I always go out in textiles or leathers, with gloves and a helmet.  I wouldn't be any good to my kids if I was dead or maimed simply because I wasn't wearing protective gear.  I take calculated risk.  I think you may, possibly, find that the majority of the population is like that.

You keep saying "we have to listen".  Why do you always assume you're in the majority and everyone agrees with you ?  I suggest the sentence would be much more honest if phrased in a 100% accurate manner, such as  "For fucks sake it works both ways as I have to listen to the 'do gooders' the 'politically correct' 'pinkie in the air tea cup drinkers' riding in with white armoured boring as fuck shite".  It's your issue with political correctness, not society
why do you assume hes in the minority
from what i see hes in the majority on this forum
if it dont got an engine it aint a sport

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 29 October 2013, 07:16:48 pm »
Codgie... This is not a good thread to exhume. It caused a lot of bad feeling.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))