Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:55 pm

Author Topic: New cage.. Trying to decide what to get  (Read 10506 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: New cage.. Trying to decide what to get
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2013, 02:46:10 pm »
My mate has an X5 i think it is, something like a 4.2 , he says its awesome,, it has been parked up now for a couple of months,impracical are his words,, too little mpg for his mrs on the school run.

I am toying with the idea of borrowing it :)

Permanent..he says he will not sell it as he wont get bugger all for it,,,odd,,

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2013, 07:04:35 pm »
Gotta admit, the X5 is an awesome car (if you can call it that). It handles like a car, goes like a car (Got the 3litre diesel) and has enough toys to keep the biggest kid happy.
A mate at work has the big 4.6 petrol one, and he said it's incredibly quick for a 2 ton truck! He's also got the LPG conversion, so he's not to arsed about fuel consumption. 350bhp, 0-60 in 6.3, 150mph  Not to be sniffed at!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2013, 07:39:40 pm »
Dash view of a BMW M3.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
The Beemer was hired for 3 hours from BMW On Demand. I got 275 kph out of before losing my bottle

Mickey

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
The Beemer was hired for 3 hours from BMW On Demand. I got 275 kph out of before losing my bottle

Mickey

I bet it felt flighty at that speed :lol

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2013, 08:30:00 pm »
It wasn't to bad but tge Autobahn seemed to get very bendy. Also I went past a few trucks which were doing 90kph and the 2 lane motorway suddenly got very narrow.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2013, 08:49:00 pm »
Looks like you have the same outset as me - my car is basically bought for the same reason as my bike - its a toy. I don't have to commute which is a plus and I enjoy driving just as much as motorcycling (though I think the bike has the edge). All of my cars have been cheap - the first few were because they were bad but my current was a bargain.

Currently running an MG ZS which has the 2.5 litre V6 engine (about 180bhp). Its outclassed by everything you are thinking of so I wouldn't recommend it in this instance but it is a nice car to drive and it cost me £465... I kid you not. It needed a new gearbox, which is kind of fair enough but that only set me back £100 and I did the install myself. Even then, you can pick these cars up for about £1000 without any issues.

As much as I love it, it probably is a stepping stone up to some sort of outrageous and stupid V8 with more power than sense ^^

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 October 2013, 08:55:07 am »
Looks like you have the same outset as me - my car is basically bought for the same reason as my bike - its a toy. I don't have to commute which is a plus and I enjoy driving just as much as motorcycling (though I think the bike has the edge). All of my cars have been cheap - the first few were because they were bad but my current was a bargain.

Currently running an MG ZS which has the 2.5 litre V6 engine (about 180bhp). Its outclassed by everything you are thinking of so I wouldn't recommend it in this instance but it is a nice car to drive and it cost me £465... I kid you not. It needed a new gearbox, which is kind of fair enough but that only set me back £100 and I did the install myself. Even then, you can pick these cars up for about £1000 without any issues.

As much as I love it, it probably is a stepping stone up to some sort of outrageous and stupid V8 with more power than sense ^^

You've just given an idea Dead Eye - how about the MG ZT V8 as per linky. 260Bhp, 0-60 in 6 secs, looks good to me & Clarkson even loved it.......might even start looking myself, would be a laugh a minute at the lights  :lol

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305246943787/sort/default/usedcars/model/zt/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/keywords/v8/page/1/postcode/rg414as?logcode=p
« Last Edit: 31 October 2013, 08:56:12 am by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2013, 10:06:16 am »
Yeah... I have no idea why I didn't suggest that...

It's certainly an option and the V6 and V8 engines are much more reliable than their 4 cylinder counterparts.

Mind you I personally think the rear of the ZT could do with... something... The ZS (my ZS) has a rear spoiler which takes your eye off of that sloping back end

Not a great photo, but the only one I have side-on apparently :\

MG ZS
MG ZS

Oh wait, found one more!

MG ZS
MG ZS
« Last Edit: 31 October 2013, 10:08:40 am by Dead Eye »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 October 2013, 10:15:40 am »
That MGZT 4.2 looks awesome, a real wolf in sheep's clothing. i took a peep on eBay and they are a few about. A nice brand new engine is reasonably priced too?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-260-ZT-V8-complete-engine-4-6-SOHC-NEW-LAST-ONE-IN-STOCK-here-/291003972836?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43c1303ce4

It seems very under powered for its size which i think is good, a nice lazy lump.

Mickey

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 October 2013, 10:30:58 am »
That seems to be Rover / MG trademark with these engines :P

Was talking with my mechanic a few months back and he was pointing out that mine and my friends car both had lazy V6's (my friends car is the Mitsubishi FTO in the photo above - 2L V6 150~ bhp). He then proceeded to show us his modified VW Caddy which I think was a either a 3.2L or 3.6L V6 putting out over 300bhp

Still, I prefer the sound of a V8 ;)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 October 2013, 10:57:26 am »
If you're talking a decent sized engine with relatively few miles and you want reliability too for <£10k then you'd need to head off the the auctions IMO.  No way you're going to get something like that on Autotrader unless you stick with the MG/Vauxhall or Scooby/Evo and they'll probably all have been ragged silly/old/unreliable.

To put down £10k on an 05 MG is a bit insane IMO (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308298522228/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/4l_to_4-9l/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/price-to/10000/make/mg/onesearchad/used/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/w1k1be?logcode=p.  You can get a BMW 1000SS for fun and get a VW touran for family life if people/luggage is a requirement.

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 October 2013, 12:18:12 pm »
It really will depend on the owners...

If you make your mind up on a particular car then it may be worth checking out if they have an Owners Club online and see if anyone is selling on there. Its not guaranteed but most owners that are part of the Owner Club tend to look after their vehicles as they are passionate about them. I'd say that was certainly the case with the majority of owners on here and I have no reservations in believing that my Gen 1 thou was looked after by the previous owner who was a part of these forums.

£10k on an 05 MG is a bit much though, can't argue with that point unless its had work to justify it - that one appears to be a pretty good example though but I don't think the OP is after the estate version

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 October 2013, 08:41:12 pm »
A bit leftfield and not a V8 how about a VW Passat R36? 3.6V6 300bhp 4wd well specced and not many around. 155mph top end and 60 in 5.6.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 October 2013, 11:12:36 pm »
Just spotted this beast lol.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-PHAETON-6-0-LITRE-W12-ULTRA-RARE-PRESTIGE-CAR-AND-JUST-66-000-MILES-/281186833075?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41780a92b3

I like the idea of the Impreza due to the fact there are so many bits out there to play with. I have seen many nice ones for £6-£7k and bang for buck there is very little better. I would like a big engine German car but in reality it would be little better than my vectra. yeah it may have more power and a nicer interior but just not the fun factor I am seeking.
Round where I live you see Merc's, BMW's and Audi's etc. Be nice to be different from the crowd.  :D
Also the newer ones are not that common so there is less of the chav element to them these days.

Not purchased yet so still time for me to change my mind.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 November 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
I know you had a lower price limit but if you considered that 4  litre MG for near £10k then i would rather have this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310129249380/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/5lplus/body-type/convertible/price-to/10000/price-from/9000/model/clk/make/mercedes-benz/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/po143rt/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Although not as sporty it would be a tad rapid if you unleashed the horses?

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 November 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
I know you had a lower price limit but if you considered that 4  litre MG for near £10k then i would rather have this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310129249380/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/5lplus/body-type/convertible/price-to/10000/price-from/9000/model/clk/make/mercedes-benz/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/po143rt/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Although not as sporty it would be a tad rapid if you unleashed the horses?

Sorry don't like. Never wanted a convertible. Nice car for the money granted but just not for me.

Wouldn't want the MG either, although quick has a whiff of old man about it. cream leather... nice lol

If nothing else this thread has shown there are some really nice and quick cars out there for very little money. If I were doing one of them silly topgear challenges 'buy a fast car for £10k' I would be all over most of these.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 November 2013, 04:34:49 pm »
Go for the Phaeton, Bentley Continental GT with an oversized Passat body on the outside.  I'd be inclined to stick Passat badges on it even.......

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 November 2013, 12:03:47 am »
Well today the trusty old Vectra was chopped in as a part-ex on an Impreza wagon. 56 plate in black with lots of extra bits on it and a deal I couldn't say no to. Done about 50 miles so far, I am missing some of the creature comforts a little (mainly cruise control) but in many respects its a bit like a bike. Power is a bit more raw and its very eager to go.

I do feel a bit of a police magnet in it but I am sure that will pass with time.  :lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Lord,
Amen

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 November 2013, 08:39:36 am »
Good stuff FuZzBoM, if you behave yourself in the right places, the cops SHOULD leave you alone!
Njoy it. >:D:D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 09 November 2013, 09:21:18 am »
Lets have a look at it then!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 November 2013, 02:02:20 pm »
Oh go on then :)

Lord,
Amen

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12 November 2013, 10:03:00 am »
Not my cup of tea, bet it goes a bit, enjoy it!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12 November 2013, 01:17:55 pm »
Do the brakes work or did you deliberately park in the vegetation.  :lol

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12 November 2013, 01:37:30 pm »
Do the brakes work or did you deliberately park in the vegetation.  :lol

Funny you say that I was planning on upgrading the brakes.. reason I parked it so close is because people have a habit of cutting that corner off when going down our road. My last car had a scuff from someone doing that.

I agree it isn't everyone's cup of tea and it is a very involving drive. be perfect for that bad weather we are meant to have soon.
Lord,
Amen