Date: 18-05-24  Time: 00:34 am

Author Topic: Please help Carb leakin fuel  (Read 1994 times)

Murph

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Please help Carb leakin fuel
« on: 09 July 2016, 11:05:15 pm »
Please Help
2000 fzs 600
The last couple of days she's started running rough felt almost like fireing on 3 cylinders at lower rpm as the revs came up a bit of a splutter then starts to sing on all 4!  At least that what it feels like to me
This morning a went to start her up and just wouldn't fire I then looked down to see my foot being drenched in petrol!
 After flicking my fag as far away as possible I lifted the tank turned the fuel off and continued to turn it over after a few moments she started so I flicked fuel back on and almost strait away started bogging then died!!

So in my mind it's just a dirty card surely!!!

With the carbs now out and striped to my surprise the look very clean I'm now really doubting myself!!!

What going on I'm at a loss

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Please help Carb leakin fuel
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2016, 12:07:59 am »
Check the O-ring around the body of the float valves, when they start to disintegrate fuel can flow past and flood the carb.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2016, 12:35:20 am »
Check TPS.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2016, 09:52:47 am »
If it's leaking petrol, I would be looking for the leak and following the petrol route, tank to filter, filter to pump, pump to carbs. And then look under the carbs to see which one was the problem.

That does seem strange to me that opening the fuel tap causes the engine to bog down?!

I also can't help noticing that your carbs are odd to. The left bowls and different to the right?! I'm pretty sure mine isn't like that.

With running issues you can usually determine which cylinder/carb is at fault by the exhaust temperatures. The highly accurate spit on finger sizzle test is a good indicator.

IMHO, people are always a bit hasty to get the carbs off and in bits, which despite being a ball ache is rarely the issue.

I hope you get it sorted.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2016, 09:54:29 am »
Check TPS.

I can't see how the TPS would have anything to do with fuel flooding out.

The carbs can look very clean but a tiny bit of contamination could stop the float needle seating. Having stripped the carbs it may be long gone now.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2016, 10:28:35 am »
Check TPS.

I can't see how the TPS would have anything to do with fuel flooding out.

The carbs can look very clean but a tiny bit of contamination could stop the float needle seating. Having stripped the carbs it may be long gone now.

Yeah, my apologies, i focused more on the way it was running.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2016, 10:32:50 am »

I also can't help noticing that your carbs are odd to. The left bowls and different to the right?! I'm pretty sure mine isn't like that.

I have a set of carbs that look just the same as in the photo.  I.E. Left pair not exactly a mirror image of the right pair.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2016, 03:26:17 pm »

I have a set of carbs that look just the same as in the photo.  I.E. Left pair not exactly a mirror image of the right pair.
Thats so you can access float bowl drain screws- 2 on the left & 2 on the right!
Have just overhauled my carbs with kits that contained float needle assy & a couple of small O rings-just got to make time to refit carbs to bike before the weather changes!

Murph

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2016, 11:17:09 pm »
Carbs are now striped and cleaned just need the time to re assemble and fit hopefully will get it done in the next couple of evenings I'll update with my progress tomorrow evening

Murph

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2016, 02:55:31 pm »
Carbs went back in and still same issue with fuel flooding out overflow when trying to start!!!  So carbs came back out again bought new float needles and seats and a set of O rings reassembled fitted and tested problem solved no more issues woo hoo

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2016, 02:48:19 pm »
Had this happen on mine which ended up being the exact same problem - a stuck float / needle. Stripping the carbs down and cleaning everything up solved the problem after checking the float heights :)