Date: 18-04-24  Time: 04:54 am

Author Topic: R1 fork conversion - what springs should be used  (Read 2158 times)

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
R1 fork conversion - what springs should be used
« on: 02 October 2020, 08:27:30 am »
Hello,after another advice.
I am going to do for conversion to 4xv R1 forks on my gen1 Thou, but I read that the standard springs in 4xv forks are soft and use to be changed to harder from Hyperpro etc.Would be anyone able to advice, what hardnes should I use, please?I am 90 kgs without leather, helmet and boots.
many thanks in advanceMarek

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: R1 fork conversion - what springs should be used
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2020, 08:54:29 am »
Providing you don't take passengers, you'll need springs to cope with a rider weight of around 102kg, allowing for leathers,boots,helmet etc. Just explain that, to whoever you choose to supply the springs. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2020, 09:21:10 am »
Providing you don't take passengers, you'll need springs to cope with a rider weight of around 102kg, allowing for leathers,boots,helmet etc. Just explain that, to whoever you choose to supply the springs. :thumbup
I will try, but I am not sure, whether they will be able to give me correct value, because the forks are going to be used on the bike heavier by 30kg.Therefore I am trying to find someone, who went the same route and has some experience.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2020, 11:04:48 am »
I will try, but I am not sure, whether they will be able to give me correct value, because the forks are going to be used on the bike heavier by 30kg.Therefore I am trying to find someone, who went the same route and has some experience.

If you know the bike is 30kg heavier, then add 30kg to the weight of the rider (including kit).
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2020, 12:04:23 pm »
Check out what I did when I had the 4XV front end.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=24321.0

Triumph springs used (post 14)

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2020, 12:23:11 pm »
Check out what I did when I had the 4XV front end.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=24321.0

Triumph springs used (post 14)

many thanks, very useful!
Do you remember how much oil did you put in the fork, please?
And, maybe weird question, but how do you measure air gap please?

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2020, 04:17:28 pm »
The oil quantity is fairly irrelevant but a litre suffices for both legs. The air gap is the way to set the quantity. I used a thin metal rod with a piece of tape round it and measure from the top of the outer tube down to the oil. Needs to be bled by pumping up and down to remove all air first. There’s a procedure in the service manual that describes it.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2020, 04:56:34 am »
The oil quantity is fairly irrelevant but a litre suffices for both legs. The air gap is the way to set the quantity. I used a thin metal rod with a piece of tape round it and measure from the top of the outer tube down to the oil. Needs to be bled by pumping up and down to remove all air first. There’s a procedure in the service manual that describes it.
Ok thanks, understood probably.Just thinking, if you are 80kg with gear and I am about 100 with gear, then I should probably go with 10N spring, right?Do not you know what rate is the standard R1 spring?
Anyway, just for the information. I have fitted S1000rr rear shock recently, have ridden it dor the dirst time yesterday, and it is much better. I only need to set it up better, because I had everything on 5 but it was bit tough. So I will set it up to 4 and will see then

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2020, 07:05:16 pm »

Ok thanks, understood probably.Just thinking, if you are 80kg with gear and I am about 100 with gear, then I should probably go with 10N spring, right?Do not you know what rate is the standard R1 spring?

No, 10.0 would be way too firm for your weight, 9.0 or 9.5 would be more suited to your weight. If you're doing track days in the fast group or always carrying a pillion or even lots of luggage, go for 9.5 springs. But for normal road use, I'd opt for 9.0 springs if I were you.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2020, 08:07:53 pm »
If you call Darren at MCT Suspension, 01449 777161, explain what you’re planning to do, your riding weight and style, he’ll give you all the advice you’ll need, as well as supplying what’s needed. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2020, 08:04:38 am »
many thanks to you both!

I will propably check with a guz who use to maintaine my suspension, when he will be back from Spain.
However, as the R1 forks seems not to be maintained long time, I decided to do the standard maintenance (new seals, oil etc.) but I will not change the standard spring yet.I will see how it will fork. I will only need to find proper setting for them on Fazer.

Regarding the trackdays, I used to do trackdays often in the past even with Fazer, but no enough time now. Therefore, I will be happy if I will do one or two trackdays next year. This means that I can use softer spring, as you recommend 9.0 could be enough.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2020, 01:57:56 pm »
I went with the Triumph springs due to costs. They were quite firm but as you’re heavier they may be OK 😬

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2020, 02:24:52 pm »
I went with the Triumph springs due to costs. They were quite firm but as you’re heavier they may be OK 😬
thanks mate.
I will try to find some. I took a look briefly, but could not find any. But I am not in a hurry anyway.