Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 400 and other models

Starter solenoid problem?

(1/2) > >>

Tippon:
Hi all :)

I've got a '94 FZR600 project, and it's started clicking once when I push the starter button and not starting. It's not the dead battery clicks, and when I've looked into it it seems to be the starter solenoid. I connected a freshly charged battery this week and the bike tried to turn over several times, but once it clicked, that was it.

Does anyone think that it could be anything else, or is something like this what I need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Starter-Solenoid-Solonoid-Relay-TO-FIT-Yamaha-FZR600R-FZR600-FZR-600-94-95/111771801502

Thanks in advance for any help  :)

celticbiker:
Yep, just like that.
Don't know why but four cylinders seem to use relays but big twins use batteries (just my experience) .

agricola:
Might also be worth just checking electrical connections, particularly the earths. Always start with the cheapest possible options first

His Dudeness:
it could be a bad connection or a faulty starter relay. to rule out a bad connection try putting the bike in neutral, turn the key on and cross the two big terminals on the starter relay with a screwdriver or thick wire. the starter motor should turn the engine over at a normal speed. if it does then all the high current connections are good and it points to a faulty starter relay. if the engine still doesn't turn over with the starter relay crossed, there is probably a poor connection in the high current starter motor circuit. a poor connection could be at the battery terminals, the ground between the battery and frame, the ground between the engine and battery/frame, the 12V connection going to the starter motor or the high current connections at the starter relay. be careful when crossing the starter relay it can cause sparking or you could burn yourself because a lot of current will flow. if you're not sure have a look on youtube for motorbike starter relay bypass, there should be plenty of videos on it.

Tippon:
Sorry about the slow reply, my computer decided it didn't like me this week  :'(

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it this week. I haven't been able to order a new solenoid yet, so I'll try your suggestions first  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version