Date: 04-05-24  Time: 13:57 pm

Author Topic: Need new front brale discs? Suggestions?  (Read 2653 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Need new front brale discs? Suggestions?
« on: 14 March 2017, 09:15:43 pm »
As title, i see alot of aftermarket sets on Ebay etc? Not many official yamaha ? Anyone have a good set they are breaking? Are aftermarket sets garbage?
Mot is coming up so gota get this sorted fairly fast :)
THANks
Toby

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Need new front brale discs? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2017, 10:20:13 am »
I guess what i mean is are EBC aftermarket discs or similar ok?

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
  • Hi folks! Names Steven, new on here so go easy ha!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2017, 11:55:21 am »
For me EBC is a top good quality brand making braking products for wide range of vehicles and applications. There well known and decent quality brand also producing a lot for motorsport aplications so should be no problems using them or other top brands alike. Used ebc products in past for off road bike and car and can't complain with anything I've used from them.
Only thing with discs and pads is making sure to use same spec/quality I.e. Not using cheap cheap, crappy discs and then using a higher grade/spec/quality set of pads.
A lot of folk go for cheep crap discs due to the fact they are expensive for a good set and then get good quality and high spec pads due being cheaper and thinking that's alright.

Crap quality discs/lesser brands save money with the grade of steel they use and then the hardening/surface treating processes they go through. Meaning in some cases the pads actually eat through your discs!

In my opinion brakes should never be skimpt out on!

Anyway just my 2 pence about what I've used and found in the past. I'm sure some might agree and no doubt others will disagree but again it's just my opinion thrown in to try help yourself out!

Hope it helps you out in some way!👍🏻

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2017, 12:10:27 pm »
My bike doesn't need brakes done at the moment but when the time come I spied these which I quite fancy. Haven't used these specifically before but will deffo be reviewing them on here once fitted when the time comes

Fronts:  Discs----  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/50671
            [size=78%]Pads----  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/47079[/size]

Rear:    Disc---- https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/50673
            [/size][size=78%]Pads---- https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/52400 [/size]

Again just my preference, the products and where you by from are up to you obviously!

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2017, 12:11:03 pm »
My bike doesn't need brakes done at the moment but when the time come I spied these which I quite fancy. Haven't used these specifically before but will deffo be reviewing them on here once fitted when the time comes

Fronts:  Discs----  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/50671
            Pads----  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/47079

Rear:    Disc---- https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/50673
            Pads---- https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/52400

Again just my preference, the products and where you by from are up to you obviously!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2017, 01:26:42 pm »
Dunno what the front EBC discs are like, but my bike ate a rear one in about 10 months.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2017, 01:42:35 pm »
What pads did you have in darris? What mileage did you get out of them?
I personally have no problems with ebc brakes used on many cars, quads and crossers and been happy with them but hey that's me! Everyone will have different circumstances and views!
« Last Edit: 15 March 2017, 01:49:05 pm by SutherlandFZS600 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2017, 04:10:57 pm »
What pads did you have in darris? What mileage did you get out of them?
I personally have no problems with ebc brakes used on many cars, quads and crossers and been happy with them but hey that's me! Everyone will have different circumstances and views!

I use the rear quite a bit as a commuter, but i do low mileage and nothing was binding, so regardless of whatever pads i had in, 10 months is still disappointing.
Think it was a ProLite EBC disc.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2017, 05:18:43 pm »
Dunno what the front EBC discs are like, but my bike ate a rear one in about 10 months.

Blimey! Was it made from aluminium? I'd expect at least a decade's use from a rear disc.

I used to get through a set of OEM front discs every 40,000 miles and switched to using second-hand ones off ebay to save money for many years. I bought some EBC Prolites a few years back and they're holding up well... must have around 40k on them now and there's still plenty of life left.
For some reason EBC included sintered pads in the kit. They proved to be a terrible match: grabby and if wet would bond to the disc while parked overnight. I switched to their organic pads and have powerful, progressive braking with no nasty surprises when you try to move the bike in the morning.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2017, 06:05:40 pm »

Blimey! Was it made from aluminium? I'd expect at least a decade's use from a rear disc.

I used to get through a set of OEM front discs every 40,000 miles and switched to using second-hand ones off ebay to save money for many years. I bought some EBC Prolites a few years back and they're holding up well... must have around 40k on them now and there's still plenty of life left.
For some reason EBC included sintered pads in the kit. They proved to be a terrible match: grabby and if wet would bond to the disc while parked overnight. I switched to their organic pads and have powerful, progressive braking with no nasty surprises when you try to move the bike in the morning.

In fairness i did have front juddering issues at the time so was probably using the rear more than normal.
Apparently it lasted about 14 months, not 10.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2017, 09:34:44 am »
Hi

I have these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-1998-2003-Ferodo-Motorcycle-Track-Front-Brake-Disc-/141768817764?hash=item2102147c64:g:4o8AAOSw4SlV7qH0

I'm sure they're totally fine, but whoever designed the drawing to advertise them needs to be sent to the naughty corner!

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2017, 10:21:12 am »
Will later model discs fit a 1998/99 for example 2001-2003 ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2017, 12:08:03 pm »
Will later model discs fit a 1998/99 for example 2001-2003 ?

Yep

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2017, 01:21:22 pm »
EBC aren't what they used to be and I mean since about 2000 :eek  they were taken over by a US company.

Their discs in my opinion are crap they're are cheaper for a reason, either go OE the best option often cheaper or not a lot in it you'd me amazed, or Brembo, Galfer  avoid Armstrong and Viper.
Later