Date: 20-04-24  Time: 08:05 am

Author Topic: Very poor running problem  (Read 1271 times)

Mrchairman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Very poor running problem
« on: 13 August 2015, 07:26:09 am »
hi guys, been having a strange intermittent running fault where she is lumpy beyond belief at low revs and has a huge flat spot when reving at 5k'ish but push past that and she comes alive.

Went out last night and by the time I got back she started to get better (15miles) not perfect but better. She did have an aftermarket can on but I took that off and went back to standard. When I say intermittent when I took it to the workshop I use they could find very little wrong with it.

It's strange as when the weather is warm she is worse and when cooler it's better

I must also add I am not the best with a spanner. But willing to give anything a go. If anyone can help or knows somebody local to Oxford who could help out I would be very grateful.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Very poor running problem
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2015, 07:45:28 am »
Sounds like she's running too rich perhaps at part-throttle.  The following is worth a look:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103599&highlight=found+carb+failure+mode

Essentially, if the O-rings in question are leaking slightly you'll have too much fuel in the float bowl.  The fact that she runs better when the weather is cooler points to a rich fuel condition in the affected rev range.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2015, 02:00:06 pm »
Given our relative levels of mechanical nous I would expect Mike to be right, but I also wonder if your air intake could have some blockage? I only say this as I had a similar thing a few years ago and it turned out to be an Autocom lead/connector that I stashed under the seat getting into the air intake bit under the front of the seat/back of the tank. Probably not but takes 1 min to check.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

Mrchairman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2015, 02:35:59 pm »
Gave it to the mechanics this morning with this information.

They said they would investigate and let me know. It is a proper misfire type problem. They are thinking someone may have taken a sh!t in the carb or spark or lack of spark problem.

We will see what they come back with. But gutted as I was going out Sunday to Weston super mud for a blast  :o :o

Thanks for the info guys

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2015, 05:14:04 pm »
Other possibilities that the mechs should hopefully look at are a fault plug breaking down at various times and a poor connection between plug cap and the plug lead. 

Changing end cans shouldn't have been the cause but do you know if the carbs have been rejetted at some point? 

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2015, 10:40:48 pm »
Mine had a similar fault and the coils had corrosion where the leads went in, and on one the pin had broke off. I modified my bike by going to 4 individual stick coils, I have had no issues since.