Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:20 pm

Author Topic: 1986 Fazer Info  (Read 2407 times)

Bizarro

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
1986 Fazer Info
« on: 04 January 2015, 01:28:55 am »
Hi, hopefully someone can give a bit of guidance. Let me just say that I'm not a biker myself but my dad dabbled but recently passed away and as a result, I appear to have acquired a Fazer. I'd like to try and find out a bit more about it and not sure what I should be looking at. I know it's a 1986 and an import (Japanese?) - 1994 according to the dvla and is a 700. Is there anything else to be gleamed or is that the best I'm going to get already?  It was in a lovely condition when he got it about 15 years ago and has been garaged and barely ridden so seems to be worth a bit of effort on my part. Thanks in advance, apologies mods if this should have been posted elsewhere, and here's a pic if it helps :-)

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: 1986 Fazer Info
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2015, 10:59:19 am »
Hi and sorry for your loss of your dad.

That bike you have inherited is a Yamaha FZX 700 Fazer.
More info on Wikipedia = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZX750
If you need more info just ask.

Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2015, 08:01:37 pm »
Very nice bike, not aged at all,still fits in with the crowd, someone will love that/

Sorry about your dad, he had a nice bike though :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Bizarro

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2015, 09:34:30 pm »
Thanks guys  :)
To be honest it's midway on a list of of a million and one things to do but trying to be a bit proactive.
A 'friend' of his suggested to his missus that it was worth 300 quid but sadly there have been a few people like this offering their advice on various bits and would prefer to be informed. There doesn't seem to be any like this for sale, recent ads don't show what they were asking so if anyone knows/remembers what they've gone for, I'd appreciate it as a guide. Not looking for an offer btw, just an idea of what to do. Thanks again  :)

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2015, 10:08:49 am »
There's a 750 on eBay for £650 your bike is worth this just for the parts.
eBay # 251773626761
« Last Edit: 05 January 2015, 10:09:22 am by John Silva »
Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2015, 11:52:43 am »
Looks to be in good condition. A good clean and polish and it'll look like new. If you invest a bit of time and money into it and get it running it'll be worth a good bit more than £300. I'd guess a good running one would be around the £1000-£1200 area. Try putting some fresh petrol in it, check the oil level is ok and jump it off another battery and see if it'll run. Positive to positive, negative to negative. If you're using a car to jump it keep the car turned off. If it's been parked up for a long time it'll probably need the carbs cleaned to get it running 100%. Have a look in the petrol tank for rust. It'll probably need new tyres if they're more than 5 years old. It also probably needs a new battery. The brake fluid will need to be changed and the brake calipers probably need a clean. An oil and filter change would be a good idea.

Bizarro

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2015, 03:32:28 pm »
Thanks all! It was mot'd until a couple of years ago so not entirely forgotten about but was most likely ridden straight back again. I'll give it a whirl.

FazerFazersson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2015, 11:03:56 pm »
Or you could do your bike test and remember your dad by following in his footsteps and keeping his bike...

I speak as someone who uses and intends to keep forever a Fiat Doblo as a bizarre runaround just because it was my recently retired dad's!

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2015, 10:43:55 pm »
sorry to hear about your dad mate ,lovely little bike you got there all the advice you got so far seems about right once its cleaned up should make 1000 sterling or there abouts  there is a facebook page                         "yamaha fzx750/700 (fazer) motorcycle owners youll get all the advice you need there if you wanted to get parts or just get it going again,possibly a buyer aswell if you were to sell it on,great bike for those that are vertically challenged ,loved my one
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/37E_KJTx91yrUQTVK4OqeNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
please god let the sun keep shining

Fastandloose

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - K75s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2015, 03:46:42 pm »
Great looking bike,worth holding on to.I think the were nicknamed a babyVmax.Quite collectible and nice to ride.Not many problems with them if they're well cared for.