Date: 07-05-24  Time: 16:09 pm

Author Topic: Its a sad day ! WHO WANTS TO BUY THIS !  (Read 8376 times)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Its a sad day ! WHO WANTS TO BUY THIS !
« on: 08 June 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
Ayup, im thinking of selling up even tho ive said before its a keeper  :(  now you can buy cheaper but not as mint or in this spec this bike is very special only difference since pics is the bike is wearing a £165 gold DID chain now and is totally immaculate.
SO IS IT WORTH £3900 !!

GENUINE SALE, ill not go into to much detail here but following my return from germany yesterday via verdun in france a fellow rider that was in front of me that ive known for many a years had a very serious accident and is in a bad way and a broken back, its taken its toll on me, i dont want to go out the same way and therefore im having to think if i want to carry on road riding as i have my parents that depend on me following my father having a stroke 12 weeks ago and can no longer walk or move his left side and without my help im not sure what would become of my father, after all he brought me up wiping my sh1tty ar5e now im repaying the favour after all he's my Dad.

Im not too fuss'd if i dont sell but if i did i think id buy a classic and restore it ..

« Last Edit: 08 June 2012, 10:28:46 pm by cable tie »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Its a sad day ! WHO WANTS TO BUY THIS !
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2012, 11:21:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about your troubles and that you have to sell your pride and joy.

:-|

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2012, 12:03:23 am »
Its a big shock to see that happen, so I can understand you wanting to pack in road riding, but I would suggest hanging on to the bike for a while and see how you feel in a few weeks, months, even years! The worst thing, would be you sell the bike and a couple of months down the line, you start to regret selling it and then your stuck with out, what is, a really nice bike, that, in your own words is a keeper!
Unless you need the money from the sale, sorn it, put it in the shed/garage for a while and see how you feel later.
Hope your friend is ok in the long run.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2012, 05:35:55 am »
Dave, very sorry to hear about your friend.  Looks like a single-vehicle accident from the photo ... was it?

I agree 100% with the previous post.  Do nothing just yet.  Your feelings are raw and now is not the time to make a rational decision.  I understand your thoughts on your responsibilities to your father and your real concerns about what can happpen when riding goes badly wrong. 

In my opinion, it's the riders who don't ever think about the worst that could happen who should be thinking of packing it in.   

I wish your friend all the best.  Meanwhile, deep breath and take your time before putting the Fazer up for sale. :)

Mike

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2012, 06:08:50 am »
Wow, I hope your friend mends well. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. Many years ago I saw my good friend killed right in front of me. It too put me off bikes for a while but it didn't last. So I have to agree with both of the above posts. A very noble mindset you have concerning your father and I salute you. Whatever your decision.

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2012, 07:12:06 am »
i agree with every thing that been said sad day for your mate  and be a sad day if u sell the bike .oh and hope ur dad gets better mate
cheers bash

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2012, 07:36:40 am »
not too sure what to say...........hope your friends ok .....big changes in your life in a very short time,but you have to put your parents first,and as you say look after them as they looked after you....would be a shame to sell such a fantastic looking bike....my head tells me to sell but my heart says put it in the garage and forget about it for a little while......kindest regards.
One, is never going to be enough.....

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2012, 07:38:52 am »
so sorry to hear this bad news dave.....any crash affects us badly.When it happened to me I was going to give up biking .But after 5 months in plaster / operations I still got back on the bike while my left arm was in plaster ! ...so attitudes can change.I had a FZ-1 sitting in my garage for 5 months, unridden.....it did eventually get me back on 2 wheels again.6 yrs on I am still as keen a sever, but always mindful of the awful risks riding bikes brings with it.
But it has affected my whole biking ethos, hence why these days I aint too bothered about top speed or being the fastest( well most of the time ! ).
I would do nothing , and see how you feel later on.
In the meantime, give our best wishes to the poor rider, and our hope for a speedy recovery.
regards
Jon

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2012, 09:01:03 am »
I'm with everyone else on this one, stick her in the shed and forget about it for a while, concentrate on yer old man, who knows when hes feeling better and a bit more mobile yer mate could be all fixed up and looking for a biking buddy to go out for a bimble with, i think it could make you a better rider too. (not that i'm saying you're not)
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2012, 09:34:04 am »
Ditto ditto ditto, put it away out of sight and later on you will make the right decision.

That was me being put in the back of a French ambulance 3 years ago and surely thats more of a reason to give up, but I didn't and still enjoy my bikes!

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2012, 09:40:28 am »
Dave DON'T do it, speaking from experience you will regret it, as said put her away for a bit if it has got to you that much.

You will lose a fantastic bike which you have spent hell of a lot of time and money on, I know it seems the right thing to do but if bikes are in your blood like me you will regret it trust me I've been there, if you need to chat mate I'm only up the road.

Remember sometimes it's good to share your thoughts'

Karlo

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2012, 10:57:20 am »
As per everyone else, don't flog the bike just yet, is worse seeing someone else cop a fall than doing so yourself I reckon as if it's you doing the falling off you've got other stuff to think about, well I do when it occurs. Bike's are about the best buzz you can get, legal or otherwise, whether you go out to make progress or just to the shops, I hardly use mine at all cos' of lack of time but I wouldn't be without 2 wheels as is always there if needed.

ATB for yer maun too.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2012, 05:45:59 pm »
Had I not just bought one, I would have GLADLY given you £3900 for that. ALL DAY LONG!

But take heed of all the advice already given. Friends of mine recently witnessed a young lad die on his bike and they said at the time that it was so distressing, they would be giving up riding forever, but of course these feelings pass. Just keep hold of it for a while and make your decision when your mate's recovered.

Very best wishes to your friend.

Tom
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2012, 08:57:26 pm »
Thx for the comments.

Update, been in touch today he is in ICU in reims sedated and on respirator, bruised left shoulder and chest, he needs to have chest drained due to build up of  blood in chest cavity!! and if all goes well they hope to do spinal op 2mo, i hope to god he pulls thro it ok as he is a really very nice fella and dont deserve this and not a spring chicken at 70 but is a very experienced rider and has travelled europe for over 20 years on bikes and just a couple of days before this he was riding the 500 thro the black forest with us.

Mike, your are correct single vehicle accident we was tramping on 70's just out of a left hander when he veared off to the right into the grass verge and into the deep gulley he showed no signs of trying to slow down !! and the bike went into a huge shake and than exploded as if it had hit something or he tried to pull the bike out the gulley !! he and the bike cartwheeled several times i was behind him on the rd and actually thought the bike was going to come back into the rd and take me out, it was horrid seeing a body thrown down the rd like a rag doll completely lifeless, and was out cold so at first we thought the worst, i cant stress how good the emergency services was the police - ambulance - doctors - paramedics - fire engine turned up very promptly, and for some reason the local french press turned up and took pics !!

Why did it happen not sure but we recon he lost concentration due to the fact if the pace gets too fast/much for him he drops back and than catches up later at his own pace .

1050 sprint

Snapped frame.

« Last Edit: 09 June 2012, 09:03:31 pm by cable tie »

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2012, 10:34:13 pm »
There's little I can add, except to agree with the others that you shouldn't sell the bike now, and to add my best wishes to you, your mate and your dad.
Your description of the accident makes unpleasant reading for us all, and sums up why I don't ride with anyone else; nobody rides at their own speed, and it becomes that much easier to push that bit too hard!
Best wishes again.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2012, 10:49:59 pm »
That was an awful thing to witness, Dave, and I hope your buddy makes a good recovery and soon. 

In the considering your decision to ride on in future or take a break, I think you have to ask yourself if you would have had the same accident for the same reason.  From your brief first guess at the cause, I suspect I know what your answer would be.

My best wishes to you, your dad and your friend. :)

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2012, 11:50:53 pm »
Sad to read this.

If it helps I lost a friend last year due to a biking accident.  My immediate response was to question the importance of riding at all. At 52 years I was forced to examine the exposure to danger that riding motorcycles gave, and it made no sense to me at all.  Why risk your life to ride a bike I asked?

Over the next few weeks I wrestled with thoughts such as those. In the end you have to imagine what life would be without risk? Safer?  - No doubt, but certainly not life as we know it.  However dark it looks today I hope your buddy comes through this and makes a full recovery, and if that's the case no doubt he would like to ride a bike again too.  You can't legislate for 'wrong time wrong place' occurrences, which means you can't avoid them either, you might just as easily inadvertently choke on one bite of an apple.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2012, 11:49:38 am »
Much as everybody else says.

Hope your buddy is well again soon.

I can understand how you feel.  So take your bike and shove it in the garage, umm so to speak, and forget about it for a while.  If in the a month or two you still feel like selling, then take the bike out for one last decent ride (just to be sure), then maybe think about selling up.

But don't rush anything. 

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2012, 01:27:05 pm »

would your friend want you to stop riding because of his accident?
is it clean enough?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2012, 02:04:40 pm »

would your friend want you to stop riding because of his accident?

A very good question.  He, after all, was riding at the age of 70 so that suggests he is a life-long biker himself and possibly has gone through the same emotions and self-questioning that you're experiencing right now, Dave.

Is there any thought that his accident might have been triggered by something else medical, like stroke/seizure/heart problem?

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2012, 09:12:39 pm »
Im not too fuss'd if i dont sell but if i did i think id buy a classic and restore it ..

Your quote above suggests that you will possibly in the future be riding again (albeit a classic) to which you could also have an off, I know you are obviously shook up but i tend to agree with other peoples views on sorning your bike until you are in a better frame of mind.
As i have been fortunate enough never to witness anything like this (and never would want to) i could only imagine the dilemma your in, im sure people on this site would back you whatever your decision.
Hope your friend has a speedy recovery

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2012, 07:51:50 am »
Dave
If it helps, last year on tour I witnessed a horrific car accident where a OAP was trapped completely underneath the back axle  of a car which reversed over him .It was up the grossglockner in cold dense fog.The guy seemed dead to me..I rode off to get emergency help, but was convinced there was no chance. It does make you feel sick and so feckin helpless...a day later the hotel owner told me the guy was recovering , due to the incredible emergency services they have out there.I did feel so much better after that .Time does heal.I have learned through counselling its best to face up and accept trauma now, as the mind does heal itself...( CBT therapy).So the trauma you do feel now is probably a good thing.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 June 2012, 09:25:09 pm »
I could never just give up tinkering thats why id restore a classic and the fact there's a BSA goldstar in my fathers garage (as well as a few other classics) waiting for me to get my hands on it.
Dave ..

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 June 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
So the trauma you do feel now is probably a good thing.
Jon, its not good the poor fella has had many complications and is sedated on oxegen machine providing 100% oxegen and in a induced coma i pray for him.
 :(

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 June 2012, 11:20:53 pm »
Sorry to hear that, hope he recovers  :(