Date: 17-05-24  Time: 01:16 am

Author Topic: Low rev rattle. Should I be worried?  (Read 9486 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Re: Low rev rattle. Should I be worried?
« Reply #25 on: 19 September 2014, 06:48:57 am »
Why go to all this bother and not install a new one. Bite the bullet? You can get a new aftermarket great gasket for pennies.. Well £30ish quid. http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer/98-99/picture/cylinder_head_gasket/

I'f you must insist on keeping the hands in the pocket, then a clean and gentle careful clean off the head and some copper sealant line this kit http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/loctite-5920-premium-silicone-copper-gasket-maker-sealant

Not suggesting halfords are great, but you get the idea
« Last Edit: 19 September 2014, 08:19:00 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 September 2014, 07:43:55 pm »
Spose you're right. Just trying to make it a bit more palatable to swmbo!

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 September 2014, 08:33:45 pm »
Got almost a months leave starting in a few days. Gonna have to get spare engine built up as the one in the bike is getting louder and louder! New knocking started on the way home tonight. Also think one of my fork legs may be slightly bent as the bars aren't straight when the bike is travelling straight. But suppose could equally be misaligned wheels. Must say as much as I like the fazer all the problems I'm having are dampening my enthusiasm for it. Seriously considering getting shot of it once engine is sorted. Want a bmw gs instead

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 September 2014, 08:40:24 pm »
yeah but any bike can be a pig. there are great examples of fazers, and some shoddy ones; but that is the same for any bike. depends on how it has been treated/cared for, serviced/maintained, garaged/covered up outdoors, commuter/sunshine rider only .. lots. Your BMW GS might give you a whole load more shite -- then again it might not
Three lefts make a right

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2014, 06:38:02 pm »
Short answer, NO

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 October 2014, 08:49:40 pm »
Well, it finally died today, the little underlying rattle suddenly got horrendously loud and it stopped running, dead as a dodo. Lucky it was as I was passing outside my house! Oh well, engine out on Friday try and get the spare swapped in as quick as possible.

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31 October 2014, 07:42:34 pm »
Today was D Day, bike in the conservatory and the strip down commenced. Head off with the engine in the bike so I could inspect the Pistons and valves. No damage to either and head gasket appeared to have a good seal, used my latest acquisition of a cam chain breaker from wemoto made it easier as I was able to split the chain and using part of an old key ring I dragged the new chain through cleaned the head and checked the valves. Block cleaned outside and head reinstalled and retourqed. Which is enough for one day, beer o clock now then tomorrow I'm going to put the cams in time it up rejoin the chain and button everything back up. With a bit of luck it should be up and running by tomorrow afternoon.

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 October 2014, 07:55:55 pm »

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2014, 09:47:02 pm »
Didn't manage to get too much done today as we had an afternoon out followed by a fireworks display. Did spend over an hour setting up the cam timing had to change the cam sprockets because when the old chain skipped it rounded the teeth off, after getting it almost bang on first time I looked down and realised the crank was about 20 degrees out so had to take the cams out again, reset the crank then spent ages fiddling around one tooth this way, two teeth that way. Finally done, spun twice by hand and lined up perfectly. Slipped the carbs back in fiddled with the throttle cables until I realised that I could put them on before putting them in the frame!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 November 2014, 07:33:50 am »
nice work you'll be back in business soon ;) I see at least three cups of tae in your pictures so you're well on track :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 November 2014, 08:04:04 am »
nice work fuzzy......not long now  :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 November 2014, 07:19:05 pm »
All done! Had some little leaks and issues but started fairly easily. Engine is much quieter than before. Valves could probably do with shimming and there's a hole in the y piece of the exhaust which is making a massive racket that I never noticed before. It it is nice to have her back on the road