Date: 19-05-24  Time: 23:43 pm

Author Topic: Help me to diagnose/fix knocking through footpegs  (Read 1304 times)

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Help me to diagnose/fix knocking through footpegs
« on: 14 March 2016, 12:28:24 pm »
I have 2 distinct, but different scenarios where I am feeling knocking through the footpegs (both sides).  I have recently replaced the chain and sprockets, and the symptoms are the same as before:

Symptom 1 - engine vibes.  During the normal lumpy band 5.5-6K revs I get the knocking.  Happens in all gears, feels stronger in lower gears. Occurs when accelarating up and when letting off and slowing down, although to a lesser degree on the way down.   It's nice and smoooth, no knocking above and below that rev range. My previous fazer of 3 years had the same rough patch, but didn't vibrate through the pegs.

Symptom 2 - rough road.  Not really that rough, just some slighly broken up tarmac, or odd bumps.  Kind of feels a big more like grinding, but is still felt through both pegs.

I've tried moving the swing arm to see if the bearings are shot, but there is no movement. Not sure if I need to remove the wheel shock linkage to get rid of any pre-load. 

Not sure if they could both be from the same thing, based on the similar feeling, but I'd like to cure both of them.

Any ideas?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Help me to diagnose/fix knocking through footpegs
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2016, 01:12:12 pm »
Get a large diameter washer ideally about 30 to 35mm to fit the mounting bolt of the exhaust bracket. Remove the exhaust mount bolt to the right foot rest. Place the washer between the inner side of the footrest mount and the exhaust bracket. Tighten it to 20Nm

The second problem sounds like linkage bearings.
With the bike on the stand chek for up and down movement of the rear wheel, any up and down play is a sign the linkage bearing are on the way out.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2016, 02:31:35 pm »
You mean put a penny washer between the exhaust and the mount here (middle of pic).

What's the logic behind that?  Could it be something that was missed when the previous owner replaced the system?

As for the pivot bearings, I can't detect any movement.  I can't tell if it's my technique or if there's no problem.   I'm assuming you have to have the back wheel out to be able to get to the lower shock mount, so will have to find some time to pull it all apart and check with no loading on it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2016, 05:33:10 pm »
No, forgot about that one, it is the one on the passenger footrest.

Leave the wheel in and see if you can lift it up, normally if the linkages are shot you will be able to lift the wheel up by a couple of mms, there should not be up and down movement on the 600