Date: 27-04-24  Time: 12:32 pm

Author Topic: Misted Headlight Lens  (Read 788 times)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Misted Headlight Lens
« on: 24 May 2023, 06:18:26 pm »
One of my headlight lenses is getting misted up. Does anybody have a sensible cure for this please?

The bike is kept in a warm garage but nonetheless, it should not be misting up in this weather!

Thanks

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Misted Headlight Lens
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2023, 10:10:46 pm »
There isnt afaik, but maybe a hair dryer aimed at the hbulb openings to fully dry it out and quickly put the bulbs and rubber covers back on And also place some silicon sealant on the backs of the side light where they twist into the back of the headlight.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2023, 06:23:17 pm by b1k3rdude »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2023, 11:57:20 pm »
You could try putting in some silica gel packets to dry out the moisture.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2023, 10:33:09 am »
Check the vents, can't remember exactly where there are.    Normally either they're a small right angled rubber tube or can be just a hole, positioned either on the back or the bottom, some the main bulb holder is the vent, i.e. it not air tight. The big misconception is the headlight must be completely sealed, in fact it's the opposite.  Water/condensation will get in due to either leaks or atmospheric conditions and heat either via the bulb/s or the outside temperature, condensation will be formed.  It which case to stop fogging there must be a hole/vent.

Mostly and in my experience these fog due to a leak, the leak is nearly always due to the side light bulb holder Oring/seal failing, split etc.  These are the 2 white twist out bulbs holders in the top corners, see attached pictures. The next mostly likely cause is the light unit being cracked  It could also be the main bulb holder covers being torn/holed at the top, a split or tear at the bottom shouldn't give you a problem.  I've seen many bikes with no main bulb holder covers at all they weren't suffering fogging, that only happens when the condensation can't get out.  It's unlikely to be an issue with these covers, torn/holed or missing.   

Don't be tempted to seal up the main bulb holder rubber covers.           

« Last Edit: 26 May 2023, 10:39:15 am by Gnasher »
Later

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2023, 10:37:58 am »
Thank you for your suggestions and comments. I will take another look.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2023, 02:44:40 pm »
One of my headlight lenses is getting misted up. Does anybody have a sensible cure for this please?

The bike is kept in a warm garage but nonetheless, it should not be misting up in this weather!

Thanks

Hi ...
Do you use a pressure washer?
Ride in all weathers?
Remove headlamp bulbs & 5 mins with a hair dryer should sort it.
Garage may be damper than you think, try a dehumidifier for a few days if you have one.
I've started to get a bit of condensation in my old VFR800 headlamp, only usually see this if ridden late in the day when the temp drops, I always ride with lights on regardless on the VFR, no option on the Fazer as permanently "ON".
I've seen lamp condensation hundreds of times on cars coming thru my workshop, usually drilling a 3mm / 1/8" vent hole in the base of the lamp sorts it, most lamps do have some venting, but it's often not enough to clear any damp tapped air.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2023, 05:18:36 pm »
The garage is centrally heated. I don’t use a pressure washer. The lens is currently dry. I use the bike most days, it has 117k miles on it and still going strong. It’s not a massive issue and certainly not something I am too worried about. Maybe I need to drill a hole although it’s 19 years old now and only recently started misting.