Date: 09-05-24  Time: 06:24 am

Author Topic: anyone done high-temp spray paint of downpipes  (Read 6082 times)

keratos

anyone done high-temp spray paint of downpipes
« on: 20 July 2014, 08:39:25 pm »
Sprayed my exhaust pipes on my 500cc scooter this week. Looks well and after curing the paint has gone off well and stuck fast to the pipes. They rust easily and replaced before so  this time after replacing I sprayed them. £17 for a large tin of 150oC high temp exhaust paint from local motor factors

Anyone done this with Fazer? I've heard the pipes rot easily; mine have been replaced by the vendor when I bought the bike 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking of removing and spraying also??

If I remove, do I need to replace any gaskets/seals ?

cheers
« Last Edit: 20 July 2014, 08:40:24 pm by keratos »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: anyone done high-temp spray paint of downpipes
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2014, 03:51:55 pm »
If your replacements are aftermarket stainless steel then i wouldnt bother spraying them.  Only the original pipes that came on the fazer have the rusting problem.  From my experience gaskets dont cost much so its worth replacing.

keratos

« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 11:06:51 pm »
If your replacements are aftermarket stainless steel then i wouldnt bother spraying them.  Only the original pipes that came on the fazer have the rusting problem.  From my experience gaskets dont cost much so its worth replacing.

No, is the plain pipes although this is a new set which is why I considered spraying 150oC high temp black paint.

Are the studs/screws probe to snapping off? They look rusty although the pipes are a-ok

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2014, 08:34:16 am »
you could spray them but tbh they will still end up rusty. Mine get sanded down and resprayed every year they are just a really good breading ground for rust.  So if they dont look like they need doing now then i probably wouldnt bother.
studs/screws are prone to snapping as with any bike, but usually a week of spraying something like WD40 on them first will help (mine have never snapped doing this). Also if they wee changed recently then they shouldnt be to bad to get off.

keratos

« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2014, 08:52:49 am »
you could spray them but tbh they will still end up rusty. Mine get sanded down and resprayed every year they are just a really good breading ground for rust.  So if they dont look like they need doing now then i probably wouldnt bother.
studs/screws are prone to snapping as with any bike, but usually a week of spraying something like WD40 on them first will help (mine have never snapped doing this). Also if they wee changed recently then they shouldnt be to bad to get off.

ok, thanks for the tips. I guess I shall not bother with the hassle then, I thought by spraying it would help; I perceive it did on my Kymco maxi-scooter exhaust and I've done this every year but it is far simpler and quicker to do this as it is a single cylinder and the bolts are not rusted.

Cheers for the advice.

When they do rot I will go stainless - seen a set of 4-1  on fleabay for £199 from M&P who I have bought quite a bit of kit from over the years and no probs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-98-03-Stainless-Steel-Pattern-Downpipes-Front-Pipe-/261517956815?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ce3af56cf

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2014, 01:26:58 pm »
been taking my old down pipes on and off for the last 10 years and using high temperature paint, until i used granville paint which is applied by brush and works much better in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE-CYLINDER-BLACK-HEAT-RESISTANT-SATIN-FINISH-PAINT-100-ML-0246-/271462339720?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3f346a9488

keratos

« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2014, 08:00:48 pm »
How do I know if my paint is plain,satin,gloss or whatever. It's black to me. Shiny black but not overly shiny

spyder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vespa et4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2014, 05:35:01 pm »
Got my stainless downpipes online from Motad Ebay, £160 delivered. Somehow their non-Ebay site quotes about £250, which confirmed this when I emailed to see if the price was correct.  These pipes have the balance pipe thingies like the originals, other aftermarkets don't.

keratos

« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2014, 06:09:49 pm »
At that price it isn't worth the effort every year really is it. Mmm. Sounds good.
What are the balance things? What do that do and why? Cheers

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2014, 07:59:24 pm »
If you look at your current downpipes, you'll see there's a small tube between pipes for cylinders 1+2 and the same for 3+4, those are the balance pipes.

If your current pipes aren't rusty, I see no reason to change them - I didn't. I used a high temp spray a couple of months back, but it's pretty crappy - I suggest the Granville paint that is further up the thread. I'll use that next time, and a tin should last me longer than a can. Although another (superficial) thing to consider is - do you want your bike shiny, or black? (I wanted black)

keratos

« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
they are not rusty, they are new so just wondered what best course of action was , prevention better than cause? mind you , as said, at that price I'm tempted to wait until I need replacement and then go for stainless.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2014, 10:46:47 pm »
Which could be 10+ years down the line - they're not an Alfa from the 80's, they don't rot for absolutely no reason. Why not give them a decent paint, and forget about them?

keratos

« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2014, 07:10:54 am »
Hey..I used to drive an alfasud 901 in mint green. With go faster stripes, earth danglers, alloys... Great!
But it grew into a rustbucket  :b

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2014, 07:53:09 am »
they are not rusty, they are new so just wondered what best course of action was , prevention better than cause? mind you , as said, at that price I'm tempted to wait until I need replacement and then go for stainless.

Then why not put your standards on ebay while they're still fairly new, then once sold order the stainless?

I'm considering using cure rust on the collector box (if that's what it's called) bringing the 4 pipes to one and then painting this.  I've been told it's this box which is the actual problem and not the pipes which are apparently stainless anyway.

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

keratos

« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2014, 09:43:49 am »
I did not know the joins were not stainless; perhaps the cheaper ebay stainless pipes are cheap for that reason??
I was not worrying about the pipes until I read on here that they are subject to rotting frequently. Mine are new when I bought the bike but not treated (or a very thin paint treatment). I have a few large cans of high temp primer and paint around so throught I'd use them. I'm worried about the manifold studs breaking off so will treat every day with WD40 for a week before taking them off. Maybe I can save on a decent set of stainless. If the pipes still rot after my treatment then its only cost a few quid on gaskets and WD40 (6 cans of paint/primer I had hunkering down in the garage anyway).

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 August 2014, 10:43:56 am »
perhaps if my belief is correct (others may confirm) and it's only the box underneath the engine that rots, you could spray it in situ.  It not exactly a part that is generally seen 

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2014, 11:12:51 am »
The collector box,sitting horizontally under the engine, is the weakest link. Condensed water (product of combustion) collects here and the outside of the box is subject to road dirt/salt so eventually will corrode through. It is easy to forget this part of the system being mainly out of sight.
Have removed from my bike & wire brushed exterior then a few coats of heat proof paint should prolong its life.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2014, 12:04:45 pm »
surprised no one yet has come up with a drain plug for it

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2014, 05:18:25 pm »
Surely I'm not the only one to have considered pouring some Granville paint into the pipes, swooshing around and draining the excess.  This would stop the condensed water sitting in contact with the metal and possibly prolong there life.

Am I the first to suggest this without fear of being disavowed by the forum for a completely ridiculous idea?

keratos

« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2014, 05:21:18 pm »
I shall whip the lot off this weekend. (pipes that is - upto the can)
been spraying the header studs all week with WD40
Thanks peops

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2014, 06:09:15 pm »

Then why not put your standards on ebay while they're still fairly new, then once sold order the stainless?

I'm considering using cure rust on the collector box (if that's what it's called) bringing the 4 pipes to one and then painting this.  I've been told it's this box which is the actual problem and not the pipes which are apparently stainless anyway.

Be careful Midden, if you do this. I did it with rust converter and then granville on it after and the paint fell straight off after 1 ride, reaction with converter. Needless to say I'm redoing mine this weekend in the hurricane!

The collector box and the joins on the balance pipes is where mine rusts.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2014, 07:35:05 pm »

Be careful Midden, if you do this. I did it with rust converter and then granville on it after and the paint fell straight off after 1 ride, reaction with converter. Needless to say I'm redoing mine this weekend in the hurricane!

The collector box and the joins on the balance pipes is where mine rusts.

Thanks for the heads up Nick  :)

Surely I'm not the only one to have considered pouring some Granville paint into the pipes, swooshing around and draining the excess.  This would stop the condensed water sitting in contact with the metal and possibly prolong there life.

Am I the first to suggest this without fear of being disavowed by the forum for a completely ridiculous idea?

It crossed my mind while reading this thread about whether that stuff used to treat inside of petrol tank would work. Or perhaps ACF50. 

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2014, 06:14:47 pm »
It just seemed a good idea as everyone moans that the rust from the inside out on the collector.
When I finally (hopefully many years down the line) replace mine, I'll try painting the inside and let ya'll know.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2014, 10:28:09 am »
I sprayed mine.  Looked awesome for about a month and then it was manky again.  I can wholeheartedly agree with using a brush on application instead of a spray.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2014, 10:33:41 pm »
I painted mine in situ with the belly pan off , two years ago, with granville HT paint , brush on not spray , still looks like new and I live 2 miles from the Sea front , salty roads , bad weather and all that. Defo recommend brush on Granville HT paint or equiv. Just make sure to key the pipes with wire wool - I would not use sandpaper but thats a personal preference.
Three lefts make a right