Date: 01-05-24  Time: 19:25 pm

Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 1165 times)

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
Oil leak
« on: 24 March 2021, 07:56:52 pm »
Hi guys, some advice please. I have a 03 Gen 1 thou with 18000 on the clock, bought last August. I did an oil and filter change today but when I struck it up it appears to be leaking oil from the oil cooler. I've never seen this before and can't understand why it's happened as I never touched the cooler when removing the oil filter or fitting the new one. there were no leaks prior to me doing this job so I'd appreciate any clues to fixing it now we are approaching the end of restrictions.

Cheers guys

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2021, 08:11:11 pm »
Where on the oil cooler, pictures would be good ;)
Later

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2021, 09:44:49 pm »
It's not obvious as it's tucked behind the downpipes and I haven't got a bike lift to get it up off the floor but when the engine isn't running you can't see any oil, when the engine is running though it's like a trickle coming from the underneath where the cooler housing meets the engine block but obviously that could be just where gravity takes it, I'm not an expert mechanic but I'm fairly competent and I've never seen this happen before.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2021, 09:02:21 am »
The oil cooler (from memory it's been a while since I worked on one) is held on by a central hollow bolt.  It has an O ring that sits just below the nut and on top of a washer, there's another large O ring that sits a rebate at the bottom of the cooler body that attaches to the engine casing.

These O rings get brittle over time and leak, often you get oil mist first as a warning but sometimes they just start leaking, it's possible you've nudged it ot the coolant pipes while removing the oil filter.  Providing it's not leaking anywhere on the body it will more than likely be the base O ring.  They can suffer impact damage from stones (rare) or corrode from the inside out fairly common due to owners running the bike with incorrect coolant mix or none at all i.e. just water! 

You'll have to either drain down or cap off the coolant fed pipes to remove the oil cooler.   Place a block of wood or something hard flat about 50mm thick (at most) under the centre stand and place the bike up in the stand as normal.  With the bike flat and secure remember the bike will be higher it MUST be secure, tip the bike backwards onto it's rear wheel.  A car jack under the headers works a treat, or tie downs straps through and under the top yoke up to the garage beam or such like.  You only lift it so as the tyre is touching the floor DONT lift the bike, this will tip the oil back away from the oil cooler and stop leakage when the central bolt is removed.  If you can't do that you'll have to drop the oil out and put it back in (as it's new) once the oil cooler O rings are replaced. 

Lets us know how you get on :)     
Later

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2021, 09:30:15 am »
Thanks for taking the time to write the instructions mate, I'll get onto that right away and let you know how I get on

Thanks again.

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2021, 01:07:14 pm »
Well nothing is ever easy is it, followed Gnashers instructions and got the cooler off no problem, then spent 2 hours searching for places that stock the gasket and O ring, eventually ordered them from Fowlers who said they were in stock and took my £29 and told me they'd be here in 3 days. This morning I get an email telling me they are not in stock so they would have to get on to Yamaha to see if they had any which will take 7 to 10 days.
I guess I'll just have to wait but I'm thinking they'll come back with the same answer as everyone else, that these items are no longer available so I'm wondering what other alternatives I might have to get back on the road. Answers on a postcard please.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2021, 01:12:29 pm »
I might have you can have for the cost of postage, but need to check I have the right part. Can you post an image of your one..?

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2021, 01:21:08 pm »
Hi mate, what do you want a photo of, the actual gasket or the oil cooler?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2021, 01:58:30 pm »
Bit late always check parts availability before stripping where possible, never mind lesson learned , we've all done it! 

The below will only help with the bottom seal which I believe you stated is what's leaking.

If you need to bike and the old rings aren't cut you could use head gasket seal as a temporary measure on the bottom seal.  Just don't over do it, I've done it a good few time over the years and they lasted for years.   

If the above works just wait until the new ones arrive. 

Or

Contact one of the many O rings suppliers you need something along the lines of https://www.easternseals.co.uk/shop/nitrile-o-rings-nbr-70-british-metric-3-0mm/ They need to be heat resistant, in the region 200* they'll be able to help you.

Or

I don't know for sure, neither can I check, so this is a punt.  The oil cooler from the later FZ1 although smaller in length the large or lower seal could well be the same diameter you just need a top seal as on the FZ1 it's not an Oring.   
Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2021, 02:17:27 pm »
Had a similar issue with Fowlers the other week over the clutch cover bearing which showed as in stock, but actually wasn't. Fortunately I'd ordered via my nearest Yamaha dealer, so they were able to order direct from Yamaha in Holland.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2021, 02:37:30 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, I had the same idea to use high temperature gasket sealant but wasn't sure it would work, I'll do it as a temporary fix now and see what Fowlers come up with.
As for stripping it before sorting the parts, I didn't have much choice either way with oil pissing out of the thing but at least it's given me chance to get things cleaned up a bit.

As always nice to know I can rely on the foccers for advice and suggestions.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2021, 03:27:43 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, I had the same idea to use high temperature gasket sealant but wasn't sure it would work,

Put small bead of sealant in the Oring rebate, on the cooler and out the Oring in, then another small bead on the engine casing land, you'll be about to see where the Oring mates with the surface. Push on the cooler, try not to rotate it while doing it up, with a bit of luck it will seal.   

I didn't have much choice either way with oil pissing out of the thing

It happens like that hence me saying "where possible" 
« Last Edit: 26 March 2021, 03:30:34 pm by Gnasher »
Later