Date: 01-05-24  Time: 19:55 pm

Author Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish...  (Read 1603 times)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
So long and thanks for all the fish...
« on: 25 August 2016, 05:48:10 pm »
I have signed the papers on a new Kawasaki Versys 1000 which I hope to pick up next Wednesday. This will be my first new bike in 14 years and I am more then a little excited.

The Fazer has been nothing but excellent for the last 7 years and 50,000 miles, but she is showing her age now and the maintenance costs are starting to climb steeply. Given that it was already 5 years old when I bought it and I only bought it as a stop gap, it has exceeded all my expectations and sets a very high benchmark for the Versys to try and beat. The Versys brings ABS and traction control and a more upright and relaxed riding position. Its lights suck and like the Fazer, the suspension will need attention.

Thanks for all the wisdom and help over the years, this has been and remains one of the best forums I have been involved with.  I will keep you posted on how I get on. /Paul.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish...
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2016, 06:50:10 pm »
Good luck with the new bike, Paul, and all the best for the future. :)

Don't be a stranger here, even if you do spend hours on the Kwak forum finding ways to spend more mod money LOL!

Mike

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2016, 08:33:59 pm »
good luck  don't be a stranger. :D
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2016, 09:00:39 pm »
Bw :)

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2016, 11:57:25 pm »
Oohhhh shiny and new is exciting. Good luck mate, sure you'll enjoy it.
Oh and hello non strangers.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2016, 08:59:37 pm »
Good luck with the new bike   :)

fzsmiffy7

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2016, 11:04:54 am »
Think it'll struggle to live up to the Fazer, my MT09 Tracer hasn't come close yet even if it is a very good bike.I'd be interested to know how you do get on with the Kwak as it was one of the bikes along with the SX1000 that I considered but in the end stuck with Yamaha.I do miss my Fazer though and wish they'd bring a newer model out [the MT10 is a street bike not a true all rounder like the Fazer].

Good luck with it anyway.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2016, 03:00:43 pm »
I hired a Tracer in Spain so I know what you mean, good bike but not a Fazer.  1st impressions of the Versys are excellent. Bearing in mind I am still breaking it in and have only 300 kilometers on it and I am not supposed to exceed 4k revs, the low down pull is as good or better then the Fazer. The clutch is almost silly it is so light. It does make slipping the clutch more difficult but the low end power is so good that I just don't think that will ever be a problem.
Lights are crap, with only a single H7 bulb for low beam and another one for high. Having had twin HIDs on the Fazer for the last few years, there is no way I could go back so LED bulbs are on order and if they aren't good enough, I will go the whole HID projector route.
The throttle is not quite smooth in the transition from fully closed, but the Fazer was exceptionally good in that area. It is not bad, but until ECU remaps come onto the market, I think I am going to have to live with it. The suspension is in a different league, but then it bloody well should be since I am comparing a brand new long travel setup with a twelve year bike (even if it did have an R6 shock).
The best description of the difference I could come up with for my car driving wife was that it is like going from a 12 year old sports saloon to a new Range Rover.