Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:41 pm

Author Topic: Fazer handlebar swapsies?  (Read 2240 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fazer handlebar swapsies?
« on: 15 April 2018, 03:36:48 pm »
Got Renthal 758 bars and would like the mediums - anyone got the mediums and want the ultra low?

Bought mine about a year or so ago, but have only been out about half a dozen times, so they are pretty much new condition. Didn't put the grip stay hole in them.

Piccies

They are great bars but I have difficulty with my hands - I actually find my right arm goes to sleep on even short journeys and I feel a lot more comfy sat more upright (but that's no good for fun speeds).

Anyone want a swap? Otherwise they will be for sale, cos I don't want to use raisers. As can be seen in the pics, I've rotated them backwards a bit to make them a little closer, but they are just too low for me. I was happy when I bought them, but my body bits are getting more buggered with age.

So if ya want to buy the 758s, sensible offers would be considered.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 03:37:24 pm by JD-LincsUK »

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer handlebar swapsies?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2018, 10:08:17 am »
Actually, having had a good look, the low bars would probably do the job, too. So again, if you have low and would like the ultra-low (and don't have a colour clashing with grey/silver) give me a shout.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2018, 04:52:38 pm »
PMd you mate--
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2018, 02:59:30 pm »
Cancel please - would need new brake hoses and that ain't gonna happen just now.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2018, 06:13:03 pm »
Ok mate no worries--
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2018, 09:42:36 am »
I'm pleased to report - for those interested in raising their bars - that I have managed to get the risers I had ordered onto the bike. I had to do a bit of juggling with the brake lever assembly, but got there in the end. It is a bit of a close fit all round, but everything operates as it should, and best of all, it has done the trick with the bars, and riding is considerably more comfortable than it was.

I would still recommend fitting higher bars (the Renthal Road Low bars look like they would be about right for the job) rather than risers - they don't look the most solid of components on my bike and I don't know how they would stand up to an impact - but the risers are definitely a good short-term solution. I hope to fit new bars along with longer braided hoses next year - so will be offering the ultra lows again then  :)

LINK

***Please note that these risers from MandP are in fact silver, not black. I brush  painted mine with Hammerite Metal Paint and they look good.

« Last Edit: 19 April 2018, 09:45:05 am by JD-LincsUK »

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2018, 08:00:41 pm »
UPDATE: FFS do not use these risers!

Went out on a 2½ hour ride today and it was a complete nightmare. Short trips of up to 10 miles in nice weather have been fine, but today I did just short of 100 miles in about 2½ hours (minus stopping to chat to a couple of folk at the side of the road) and I feel like I've done 11 rounds with Joe Bugner!
Admittedly, I'm a disabled rider and I get muscle & joint pain a lot of the time, but I bought a Fazer thou because it was the one bike that didn't make me ache in any way. With a fresh Northerly breeze (about 16 kts according to Beeb) in my face on the way out I felt like my head was exposed to a hurricane (bloody noisy, too). Going by roundabouts was like riding a totally different bike, and it was not behaving well!

Having said that, my fave local twisties (down the B1365 (nee A16) to Pinchbeck) at 50-60mph were the usual fun. However, I often had the feeling that the rear wheel was sliding on the roundabouts. Maybe I was pushing it too far over - I used to have a bit of a reputation for that, with my Beemer 650 and Tiger (cos it was great fun), but whatever it was, I didn't like it.

Then, when I got home I struggled to get off the bike (hips & knees buggered), was unable to get my foot over the edge of the bath tub without assitance, and my hands felt like I'd been using a pneumatic drill all day!

The knees and hip pain may be due to being in the saddle for so long without a break - but I never had this issue before, so I'm thinking it was the riding position with the higher bars.

Once I've recovered, the risers are getting ditched and the 758's are going back on normally. If it makes my wrists ache, well tough shit - it's better than my entire body feeling broken.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2018, 08:58:09 pm »
I swapped the bars on the Fazer 1000 for Fazer 600 ones and found then more comfortable on long journeys than the originals. They are not as wide as the renthals or originals and means your arms would be closer to normal use and not as exposed to the wind. (Maybe I was just so used to the 600) Could be worth a try as it is possible it may be the width is the causing your issue.

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2018, 09:48:48 am »
Hi thanks for your input. Well the bars will definitely need the risers removing, as they push my head just that bit over the comfy zone, I'm 6ft tall - but I was thinking along similar lines myself. Interesting to hear about the 600 bars (I'm actually thinking of swapping the thou for a 600). I had considered lopping 1 or 2 inches off each end of the 758s, which may do the trick as well.

We'll see how it goes - in spite of yesterday's experience, I'm keen to get back on the bike and sort something out. Had a bloody rough night, though!