Date: 22-05-24  Time: 13:42 pm

Author Topic: cooling system overheating  (Read 2805 times)

coppi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
cooling system overheating
« on: 20 June 2015, 10:58:14 am »
Hi all.  Some helpful advice, please - 2006 FZ1-s.

Some months ago I drained my cooling system and refilled with a 50/50 mix (antifreeze/distilled water), however, ever since then my bike is very quick to overheat/boil, and then the expansion tank levels drop and requires a top up.

Whilst on the move it will run around 80 degrees but as soon as I hit crawling traffic/stop start, it reaches 100+ very quickly.

My feeling about the problem is a likely airlock which will not disperse. Or, maybe it is the mix?  Anyone had this self same problem?  The system is not leaking other than the overflow pipe when boils.

Any advice or suggestions welcome. Also, what is the best way to get rid of a potential airlock?

Thanks in advance.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: cooling system overheating
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2015, 11:46:39 am »
My 2007 FZ1 heats up very rapidly in traffic and then the fan cuts in, as soon as I am moving again the temp drops just as rapidly.
Is your fan coming on?
I doubt very much if it is the mix as the coolant is to help prevent corrosion as well as cooling the engine.
I have never tried this on a bike but have done it on an old car I had, I removed the radiator cap and ran the engine as I had an airlock and that cured it.
Or drain the system again and refill slowly with rad cap and expansion tank cap both removed, then refit both caps and run engine until fan cuts in, leave to cool down and check level.
When you drain see if there is any crap in the old coolant that could indicate you have a blockage of sludge somewhere, if there is flush it through with a hosepipe, that might be a good idea to do anyway.

coppi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2015, 02:10:00 pm »
Thanks slappy, good advice. I had been thinking along the lines of draining system again, but I'll try running with rad cap off first.

Yes, the fans come on at around 100 degrees.  Suppose it could be sludge, but I do not recall it running so hot so quick prior to the coolant change,

Will give it a try. Many thanks for your trouble.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2015, 04:33:00 pm »
No problem, stick up a post in the introduction part of the forum with a picture of your bike, new foccers always welcome.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2015, 11:11:32 pm »
Reduce the coolant/antifreeze to water ratio to 25:75 & it will run cooler.
I also used 'water wetter' in my FZ1 & the temperature reduced again.
One year in Italy it was showing 113* in traffic. The next year in similar circumstances with reduced coolant & 'water wetter' added about 105*
Definitely though check for an airlock, I used to squeeze the coolant hoses after refilling but never experienced an airlock issue anyway  :)

coppi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2015, 10:41:28 am »
Thanks for your advice, it has occurred to me to reduce the antifreeze ratio a bit.  When I get the chance to look at it again, I'll first of all try running with rad cap off 'til it gets hot to see if I can disperse any airlock.  Thereafter, will probably drain and refill with reduced coolant ratio [assuming no sludge found].  Not sure about the Water Wetter though - have read some bad reports regarding polisyloxane polymer (silicon) leaving molasses-like residue.

Anyway, thanks to both contributors so far - will follow thru on suggestions.

Thanks

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2015, 10:46:08 am »
When i flushed through my old 600 coolant the haynes book said to rock the bike side to side with the cap off which actually did release allot of the air from the system........perhaps a bit more tricky with the weight of the FZ1 but worth a try if you get someine to help stop the bike going on its side.

My bike is another FZ1 that the fan kicks in allot.....did a slow 10-15mph trip the other day on single track & the fan was on id say about half the time......soon as it is up and running at decent speed the fan is off but if i stop in traffic for a few minutes it'll be on again.

How high is hot tick over?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

coppi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2015, 11:03:18 am »
Thanks noggy for a good tip.

The fan comes in at about 100 degrees so does not go much higher, but it is really running  hotter than it should be - gets up there too fast.

Cheers

coppi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2015, 03:57:29 pm »
Thanks to everyone.  Got an airlock out of it and it seems a little better now.  Runs cooler on the move although still heats up rather rapidly in traffic or at standstill.

It is a high performance engine so I have to put up with certain limitations, I suppose.

All round, a great bike.

Cheers

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2015, 04:01:09 pm »
I switched my car on today and turned on the air con to try cool down a bit...about a few minutes idling and the fan kicked in.....26 degrees c in my house with all doors and windows open so it is hot for motors right now

So long as the fan kicks in then i suppose the engine never actually over heats
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike