Date: 27-04-24  Time: 10:42 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604887 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #6675 on: 03 January 2017, 05:13:38 pm »
Its a very white bulk head.  :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: 03 January 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Oops! maybe the pic did not show

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: 04 January 2017, 06:42:44 pm »
Do you take the seats out of the car and use them in the house, :eek miserable git :pokefun

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: 05 January 2017, 04:50:55 pm »
Stripped and serviced my front brakes, flushed new brake fluid through then cleaned all the engine/pipes/lower parts with wd40, came up lovely.

Did run into 1 odd problem though in the form or brake fluid level. I never realised until today that the angle of my bars is so severe, and with that my fluid reservoir is at a very sharp incline. I have to turn my bars all the way to the right and even then it spills out of one side while being nearly empty on the other. The main problem being when I try and fill my fluid reservoir up I have no way of telling where the level should be 🤔🤔
In the end I had to sit on it then just fill the reservoir up halfway and hope for the best haha

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6679 on: 07 January 2017, 11:58:50 am »
I just want to give a big thumps up to Russ Tyres in Portsmouth.

A little while ago he plugged a hole in my front tyre (caused by a bolt that was stuck in it) for a very reasonable £25 RIRO.

Subsequently, however, it seemed to have picked up a slow leak, losing maybe 1 psi a day and when I popped back, after a quick check with some spray, it appeared that the valve was leaking, so he put in a new core.

Unfortunately, even after that, the tyre was still losing pressure, so I went back again and this time he took the wheel and tyre off and found that the 90 degree valve that he'd put on there for me about 8 years ago had corroded and the air was actually leaking out from the base of the valve.

So he put a new one in, popped the tyre back on and now it's sorted.

"How much do I owe you?" I asked.

"No charge" he said!

Great bloke, great service and I'll definitely be going back there in a few months when I need to replace my T30 rear :thumbup

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: 07 January 2017, 03:52:11 pm »
For the first time in more years I care to remember I binned the 1000 on my way to work this morning :'(

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: 07 January 2017, 04:22:33 pm »
For the first time in more years I care to remember I binned the 1000 on my way to work this morning :'(

Thats not good,  how are you and the bike?  Hopefully both of you just suffered minor damage.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: 07 January 2017, 04:37:55 pm »

Thats not good,  how are you and the bike?  Hopefully both of you just suffered minor damage.
Looking through the for sale and wanted section I think he's ok but the bikes a bit poorly as he's put up a post there looking for some parts that include handlebars and side casing if anyone's got any bits to help him out

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: 07 January 2017, 05:03:28 pm »
Thanks , the shoulder came out but when I stood up and  moved it went back in xray confirmed no break just soft tissue damage still feels like I've had a good hiding though ,Its shit getting old you don't bounce like you did when you where younger
and I still can't work out why it let go I've gone round that island hundreds of times in all weathers

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: 07 January 2017, 05:45:03 pm »
Sorry to hear about it mate , I know what you mean about getting old. After having a recent brush with the reaper in my car I was stiff for a week and while it's small comfort ,at least your still here to tell the tale the rest is metal and replaceable and hopefully someone here might be able to help you out, sorry that I've not got any spares for ya fella

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: 08 January 2017, 01:11:16 am »
Thanks , the shoulder came out but when I stood up and  moved it went back in xray confirmed no break just soft tissue damage still feels like I've had a good hiding though ,Its shit getting old you don't bounce like you did when you where younger
and I still can't work out why it let go I've gone round that island hundreds of times in all weathers

There is a large roundabout down on the South Coast quite close to Chichester that I have been around many many times with no problems at all. One evening a couple of years ago it had been a nice sunny day, into the roundabout as normal nothing on the roundabout just started applying a bit of power coming out and the back stepped out took me completely by surprise a mate following on his Aprillia 1K saw it kick so touched his brakes and nearly lost the front end. We pulled off the roundabout parked up and went back to check there was a thin hardly visible film of diesel over about a area of about 7 foot wide by 12 foot long. We recon it was a small spillage early in the day (big pertol station very close by) but had been spread out by the traffic through out the day, but it also looked as if the diesel had softened the tarmac. I wonder how many bikers arseoles Clintched because of that spillage. Only takes a little

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: 08 January 2017, 10:50:34 am »
I've fitted new chain and sprockets to the old girl and I'm going to take her for a spin this afternoon  :)
I can't complain, almost 40k on the original chain. Unfortunately I never managed to get hold of a 12mm front sprocket nut so i'm running on the original nut.
It's defo on my to do list. . .
« Last Edit: 08 January 2017, 10:52:36 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: 08 January 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
Do you take the seats out of the car and use them in the house, :eek miserable git :pokefun

Steady Unfazed you nearly took my bloody eye out with that stick   :eek

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: 13 January 2017, 03:17:39 pm »
I have been playing about with the ignition switch/Key lock on my 2002-2003 FZS600 Foxeye today, the key has stated jamming/sticking in the lock recently, I have run a bit of gun oil into the lock that did not make a huge amount of difference to be honest.
So have been trying to find a supplier for a new ignition lock, there appears to be different locks for different years of the FZS600, my understanding is that the most common is the lock with two leads and two push together plastic connectors, connector 1 has 4 connectors/wires, connector 2 has 2 connectors/wires. It seems from what I have read that the 2002-2003 FZS600 Foxeyes have an extra wire than the Boxeyes, so connector 1 has 4 connectors /wires and connector 2 has 3 wires.I not convinced but I think the extra wire maybe some thing to do with the side lights (But no sure about that) I have not removed the lock from the bike as I want to keep it on the road, so I have been doing some searches on here about Ignition locks and the advice seems to be dipping the key into clean engine oil rather than putting oil into the lock and also gently pushing the key forward when turning it, this did not do anything to help mine, but I tried gently pulling the back towards the tank and  :thumbup  it works a treat, the lock turns without any snagging at all, have tried it 15 or 20 times and it just works. I will be able to source a new lock/switch now without being in a desperate rush.So a result, thanks guys for the tips. 
« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 03:18:52 pm by tommyardin »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: 13 January 2017, 03:25:18 pm »
Rather than oil the best thing for locks is a dry lube called graphite. One of our riders called Locksmith on here is the expert who told me that. Normal domestic locks anyway, no reason it wont work on a bike lock   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: 13 January 2017, 04:46:56 pm »
Rather than oil the best thing for locks is a dry lube called graphite. One of our riders called Locksmith on here is the expert who told me that. Normal domestic locks anyway, no reason it wont work on a bike lock

Graphite I believe is possibly a mixture with other thingsthat a pencil lead is made. Years ago it was said that if a plug wasn't sparking very well to rub a pencil on the electrodes and it would help the situation. I would have thought that it would have been burnt off with the first bang.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: 13 January 2017, 05:19:08 pm »
I have been playing about with the ignition switch/Key lock on my 2002-2003 FZS600 Foxeye today, the key has stated jamming/sticking in the lock recently, I have run a bit of gun oil into the lock that did not make a huge amount of difference to be honest.
So have been trying to find a supplier for a new ignition lock, there appears to be different locks for different years of the FZS600, my understanding is that the most common is the lock with two leads and two push together plastic connectors, connector 1 has 4 connectors/wires, connector 2 has 2 connectors/wires. It seems from what I have read that the 2002-2003 FZS600 Foxeyes have an extra wire than the Boxeyes, so connector 1 has 4 connectors /wires and connector 2 has 3 wires.I not convinced but I think the extra wire maybe some thing to do with the side lights (But no sure about that) I have not removed the lock from the bike as I want to keep it on the road, so I have been doing some searches on here about Ignition locks and the advice seems to be dipping the key into clean engine oil rather than putting oil into the lock and also gently pushing the key forward when turning it, this did not do anything to help mine, but I tried gently pulling the back towards the tank and  :thumbup  it works a treat, the lock turns without any snagging at all, have tried it 15 or 20 times and it just works. I will be able to source a new lock/switch now without being in a desperate rush.So a result, thanks guys for the tips. 

Yeah, I was about to suggest just turning the steering a few mm to the left and it does take the strain off the key in the lock, it's what I have to do with mine too.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: 13 January 2017, 05:51:09 pm »

Yeah graphite lock spray is amazing. I had the same problem as Tommy on my old thundercat and a quick squirt of graphite spray solved it instantly. Then used to have to use it about once a month or after a washing it.
Think it only cost about £4 too

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: 13 January 2017, 05:59:34 pm »

Yeah graphite lock spray is amazing. I had the same problem as Tommy on my old thundercat and a quick squirt of graphite spray solved it instantly. Then used to have to use it about once a month or after a washing it.

The word "spray" -- more like a puff as it is a dust like product, unless you have something else. I got this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphite-Powder-Lock-Lubricant-Cylinder-Car-Padlock-/132040947937?hash=item1ebe40f8e1:g:yAMAAOSw-jhUAHmq

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: 13 January 2017, 06:09:27 pm »

The word "spray" -- more like a puff as it is a dust like product, unless you have something else. I got this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphite-Powder-Lock-Lubricant-Cylinder-Car-Padlock-/132040947937?hash=item1ebe40f8e1:g:yAMAAOSw-jhUAHmq

That is the exact one that I just purchased on evilBay Sharpie, I will wait until the powder is delivered and I will try to was the oil out with copious amounts of WD40 and leave it for a while before puff dusting the lock with the graphite dust. I believe that WD dries out a a reasonably fast rate, but maybe I should do it now give it more time to dry up. :thumbup
Cheers for the tip Darrsi I will try that as well
« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 06:11:05 pm by tommyardin »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: 13 January 2017, 06:16:28 pm »

Yeah mine was in a small aerosol can. Was more of a puff than a wet spray but was pretty much the same stuff as you guys bought

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: 13 January 2017, 06:18:37 pm »

That is the exact one that I just purchased on evilBay Sharpie, I will wait until the powder is delivered and I will try to was the oil out with copious amounts of WD40 and leave it for a while before puff dusting the lock with the graphite dust. I believe that WD dries out a a reasonably fast rate, but maybe I should do it now give it more time to dry up. :thumbup
Cheers for the tip Darrsi I will try that as well

I wouldnt add it to anything else in there or you will end up with a thick porrage.
Maybe some contact cleaner which will readily evaporate ?   

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: 13 January 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
I've fitted new chain and sprockets to the old girl and I'm going to take her for a spin this afternoon  :)
I can't complain, almost 40k on the original chain. Unfortunately I never managed to get hold of a 12mm front sprocket nut so i'm running on the original nut.
It's defo on my to do list. . .

Just done my chain & sprockets and with the 12mm nut. I got the nut from wemoto.com http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer/98-99/picture/sprocket_front_retaining_nut_kit_oem/ it takes a few days as they state that it's not a stock item and they have to order it in but I ordered it on the Saturday it was processed on the Monday morning and delivered Wednesday.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: 13 January 2017, 09:08:56 pm »
Just used half a 250ml can of WD40 to wash the Ignition Key/Switch out (I put a lot of gun oil in there earlier today) I pushed the thin applicator pipe right down into the switch and wigged it up and as spraying and it washed load of muck and scummy stuff out of the bottom on the switch barrel I wedged about 12 folded sheets of kitchen roll under the switch on top of the lower headlamp mounting bracket and the tissue was soaked in really dirty slimy WD40, I kept doing it untill the WD came out clean.

I will pop into Maplins tomorrow and pick up a can of spray electrical switch cleaner and give it a really good clean out with that also, hopefully by next Wednesday my graphite lube will have arrived so the i can apply that and hopefully all will be well.

But as said in an earlier post into this forum, once the key is fully in the lock just gently pulling backwards towards the fuel tank made the key turn really easy without any snagging what-so-ever.
So I'm guessing that both the lock and key are probably worn, but I think this work around will do while I find source for the 7 wire ignition switch, although they seem as rare as rocking horse poo.
Think I removed the tissues to soon WD now dripping off my fender extender, but at least its clean. :lol
« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 09:12:08 pm by tommyardin »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: 13 January 2017, 09:20:36 pm »
Sounds like a good thorough job, dont over puff the graphite in you will be surprised how little you need to make a big difference