Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:43 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1605041 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #6650 on: 04 December 2016, 11:30:34 pm »
If ohlins are linear springs they're about £110 from kais

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: 05 December 2016, 07:57:41 pm »
If ohlins are linear springs they're about £110 from kais

Hi Graham,
Many thanks for the info.  :thumbup

I have messaged Kais from their Webpage and await their reply.
£115 plus delivery for Ohlins is about the price I was expecting.

Would be great if they are Linear as I could order them (they have them in stock) then I will have a job to do over Christmas.

Well you need something, to much Christmas pud and relatives is not good for a chap.

I fitted the Nitron shock yesterday after stripping out the dog-bones and linkage, I was informed that the Mono shock can be fitted with all this stuff in place.

Not sure why anyone would want to do that as it is an opportunity to have a good clean up, and check, clean and lubricate the needle bearings on the link and swinging arm to dog-bone connection (6 of them in all).
Everything is in very good condition all the needle bearings still had some grease in them and none of the pins that pass through the bearings has any sign of wear, so all is good.
The Nitron is a magnificent piece of kit, beautifully made and looks the bogs dollocks on the bike.
I have been reading up on static and laden sag, I am really glad of the internet there is so much information and videos on there to help, just as well cos my understanding of the subject was askew, I was mistaking Static Sag and Laden Sag, and measuring the unloaded length of the fork as a datum to set everything up from.

As I said Graham53 thanks so much for your help.   :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: 10 December 2016, 12:41:06 am »
It seems that Kais can only supply Ohlins linear fork springs for the FZS 600 up to  8.0 N/mm, they not quite heavy enough, as fully togged ready to ride with my bucket on I am fractionally under 89 Kilos.
I have been really helped advice wise with this project by Kabab19.

He has put me onto Ohlins Suzuki SV 650 linear springs at 8.5 K/mm, more suited for my rider weight.

The springs are 30mm longer than the FZS 600 jobbys, but this can be compensated for by cutting the top steel spacer down in length by that amount.

Well actually as I am doing the fork conversion over to emulator compression. I will have to reduce that spacer down by 49.5mm in total to allow for the addition of the emulator that is 19.5 mm deep it where sits between the top of the Damper Rod and the base of the spring.

Other than the length, the SV650 springs are identical to the Fazer FZS600 springs.

So A BIG Thank you to Kebab19 for pointing me in the right direction in acquiring the parts I need, and, for all his useful posts on the Foc-u forum pertaining to front fork upgrading.
Top Man :thumbup

Expecting delivery of new Linears in about 9 days time
« Last Edit: 10 December 2016, 11:44:02 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: 15 December 2016, 04:57:22 pm »
My favourite man in his big white van  :car  called today and left me with these bad boys.
8.5 N/mm Ohlins linear springs. Woo woo! Santa came early and brought a treat for the baby 600. :thumbup

I have a job for over Christmas.

MMCMME

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: 19 December 2016, 12:03:00 pm »
Blew the cobwebs off her this morning  :) really REALLY need heated grips after xmas though  :o

15675849 10154908450378278 8347661429838899432 o
15675849 10154908450378278 8347661429838899432 o

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: 21 December 2016, 01:46:32 pm »
Dropped it. :wall
Parking up after arriving at work, thought the bike was on the sidestand ok, as I started to swing my leg off I somehow nudged the bike forward enough for the stand to flip up.
Fortunately the little Honda I was next to stayed upright as I got pushed against it, so things didn't turn into an expensive game of dominos.
I couldn't pick the thing up though, thanks to a full tank, general weediness and the other bike being in the way so had to get a passing builder to give a hand.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: 21 December 2016, 05:12:19 pm »
Dropped it. :wall
Parking up after arriving at work

Ohh! Hope the bikes not damaged to much :'(

I dropped mine back in the summer on my patio, like a complete prat I had washed, polished and waxed the old girl working bare foot on the patio whilst enjoying the warm summer sunshine, I had done the complete exhaust system with Autosol  and there she stood in all her GLORY shining like the magnificent beast she is.
Went to wheel her back undercover and placed my heel on a small grit like stone (1/4"),  :eek   hurt like hell threw me off balance and the old girl got away from me, bike went over dragging me over the tank and fell against a very very large patio pot with a 'Acer Pheonix 'growing in it.
I almost cried, being an old fart I could not pick it back up, struggled in vane but let it fall again (This time only a few inches) but thought to my self that even more damage done.
Wife and daughter to the rescue,  we got the FZS back on her stand and to my absolute amazement there was a small very fine scratch on the tank about 3/4" long.
The side of the seat had saved the bike from the ravages of the large plant pot, with no other damage done. not even a scuff in the seat material.
One very happy little bunny.
That is the first and last time I put the bike on or take it off the stand bare foot. :eek

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: 21 December 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
I did a very stupid one once, I'd never had a disc lock before ( you know where this is going ) and just got it back on the road after it was written off by a van and it was mint everything was polished and shiny and lovely , anyway pulled up outside a shop got off put the lock on , came out and forgot about the lock clunked her into gear and the next thing I'm on my side with the bike on me , and like fazerider a workman had to help get the bike off me .... I was soooooo embarrassed ,good job I had a lid on cos it hid my face, scuffed up all the new side casing I'd just fitted well gutted  :'(  I swore I'd never do it again , then went bsb a few years ago with some chums and leaving the car park they whizzed off and me in my haste to keep up forgot it again , luckily it was on grass and the front locked and skidded to save my pride and arse. Got one of those elasticated reminder thingys now  :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: 21 December 2016, 11:12:18 pm »
Mine rolled forward off the side stand on my sloping drive once,  and knocked my Triumph off its side stand. So I had two bikes to pick up. Strangely enough I now always leave both bikes in gear

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: 22 December 2016, 12:20:59 am »

Cheers guys, it's always good to hear other's similar mishaps when you're kicking yourself for a moment's stupidity.

Probably the dumbest one I ever did was thinking I could wheel the bike backwards at an angle down a kerb. Of course, once the rear tyre started edging over the side the weight of the bike was pulling away from me and it toppled into the road catapulting me over it. :o

At least this time there wasn't any noticeable damage, just half a cupful of fuel lost from the carb and tank overflows.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6660 on: 22 December 2016, 12:43:24 am »
My funniest one was about 3 months after I got my FZS600 I pull up at a road junction on a slope to turn right and there was this very fit looking jogger running towards me on the main road. So being a gent I waved her passed and happened to turn my head in her direction just as she had gone by, nothing to do with checking out her cute little butt in those very tight black leggings, handle bars turned to the right on a slope me craning my head to the left and over I went with an almighty crash.  :'(
I got flicked over the bike and the girl came running back and helped me up, she probably thought to herself as I had been the perfect gentleman and let her by the least she could do was to help this chap in distress.
Little did she know my reasons for my gentlemanly behaviour.  :lol

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: 22 December 2016, 05:20:54 pm »
Quick blast to here this afternoon for. Some  crimbo pressies.
The fazer performed flawlessly.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: 22 December 2016, 05:50:14 pm »
I don't think anyone can beet this one.
Pulled up at a bike park in town directly outside an insurance brokers and all the girls looking out of the window at me, took my time turned engine off and still sitting on the bike leaned it over onto the side stand THAT I HAD NOT PUT DOWN !, and over me and the bike went. Exactly like this

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: 22 December 2016, 07:16:21 pm »
I don't think anyone can beet this one.
Pulled up at a bike park in town directly outside an insurance brokers and all the girls looking out of the window at me, took my time turned engine off and still sitting on the bike leaned it over onto the side stand THAT I HAD NOT PUT DOWN !, and over me and the bike went. Exactly like this
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

You plonker Rodney.  :rollin

fazer74

• Cager in Training
  • HI FROM Eire
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: 01 January 2017, 02:26:50 pm »
just wondering if anybody can tell me if bar ends for 2004 fazer 600 will fit 2003 fazer 600
lone wolf no club

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: 01 January 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
Don't know for certain but my guess would be yes.

2004 must be the FZ6 bars going onto a 2003 FZS 600.

I believe that Renthal bars are slightly different inside Dia and it causes slight problems with using the Original bar end weights.
Have you bent or damaged your 03 bars?

The Renthal route seems to be the way to go, not that I have travelled that path, but, from what I hear that is possibly the favoured the route to go, especially if you are in the position of having to replace them for some reason.

The other thing I heard about Renthal bars is that they are slightly wider than the standard bars, so that needs to be remembered when tight filtering.
As I said all above is only what I have heard as I have no personal knowledge of it.

Have a Great New Year :thumbup 

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: 03 January 2017, 01:24:20 am »
Did a ROSPA test today in Suffolk, freezing cold and pissed off that I only just missed getting a gold when I missed a poorly maintained and sighted start to a 40 limit :o

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: 03 January 2017, 06:49:48 am »

I believe that Renthal bars are slightly different inside Dia and it causes slight problems with using the Original bar end weights.

The Renthal route seems to be the way to go, not that I have travelled that path, but, from what I hear that is possibly the favoured the route to go, especially if you are in the position of having to replace them for some reason.

The other thing I heard about Renthal bars is that they are slightly wider than the standard bars, so that needs to be remembered when tight filtering.
As I said all above is only what I have heard as I have no personal knowledge of it.

No point in guessing.
There's already a thread on this in the 600 section, and after i had a look at both the FZS and FZ6 bar ends i noticed that they look very different, if they are to be fitted to standard bars, which we don't even know that either?

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: 03 January 2017, 07:23:14 am »
Minus 2 outside where i am right now.
Off to work we go.  :groan
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: 03 January 2017, 08:31:13 am »
Good luck with the weather darrsi. It's Bank Holiday Tuesday for us old'uns :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: 03 January 2017, 08:47:36 am »
Not forgetting Weds,Thurs and Fri. Then the weekend. Surely can't be Monday again. Ohhh here we go Bank Holiday January then Bank Holiday February. So glad I don't have to go out until it has warmed up, apart from go out the heated bike shed. But before that another coffee I think.  :lol :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: 03 January 2017, 09:51:07 am »

No point in guessing.
There's already a thread on this in the 600 section, and after i had a look at both the FZS and FZ6 bar ends i noticed that they look very different, if they are to be fitted to standard bars, which we don't even know that either?

Your quite right again Darrsi, it must be brilliant being you. :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: 03 January 2017, 09:54:54 am »
Well it's a good job you old guys are staying indoors, We've all got places to be anyway 😂😂😉

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: 03 January 2017, 11:39:48 am »
I get the "hat pipe glasses slippers" stereotype,but that don't apply here.Got a busy day today.Just finishing off a fork overhaul on my old speed triple, then it'll be out on the mountain bike for an hour or so, bit of tea and then a 3 mile walk to football to hopefully see my team rack up 3 points for a change,then walk back home punctuated by a few pints on the way. It's tough being old, but just grin and bear it. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: 03 January 2017, 01:48:19 pm »

I get the "hat pipe glasses slippers" stereotype,but that don't apply here.Got a busy day today.Just finishing off a fork overhaul on my old speed triple, then it'll be out on the mountain bike for an hour or so, bit of tea and then a 3 mile walk to football to hopefully see my team rack up 3 points for a change,then walk back home punctuated by a few pints on the way. It's tough being old, but just grin and bear it. :lol

Here! here! Robbo.

Same as that, I seem to be just as busy now as I was when I was laying bricks on site.
I retired at 68 years of age only because I had damaged my wright wrist and could long longer lay bricks.

I did a lot of fishing, bike and sports car driving for about 4 months after retiring then decided that I needed to put something back into the system rather than just take out (Private pensions, plus the coffin dodgers pension) I know I paid into these schemes for a long time, but, for ones own feelings and well-being I felt I needed to contribute something.

I now drive for a charity I do 4 runs per week for them, mostly to a local hospital 42 mile round trip, but sometimes further-afield Southampton or Frimley Park, they have been my longest yet about 70 miles round trips, I have been doing this for almost 2 years now, it gives me a huge buzz and I have met some of the sweetest people.

Most of my passengers are ladies in their 80's, 90's and one who reached 100 just 5 weeks ago, most are widows with married children that have moved away so they rely on Voluntary drivers to take them to and from health visits, hospitals, doctors, dentists and the like.

I have also recently started supporting a young lad with Autism a couple of hours a week, he a great kid and we play board games that are educational, spelling, adding and recording scores and the like, he loves his games console, but I keep that limited to the last 15 minutes of my visits.
The idea of my visits is that it gives just a short while (couple of hours) for his mum to spend time with her little girl (18 month old) without having to field and occupy the older boy. But with saying that it isn't a chore in fact it is very rewarding.

I would recommend anyone, if you have the time to think about voluntary driving.
I kept my Vauxhall Combo van after retiring and use that for all my voluntary runs, it is just a slight bit higher than most saloons so its a bit easier for my old ducks to get into, plus walking frames and push along wheel chairs just go in the back which is completely separated with a bulkhead, I will post a picture of my van bulkhead, thank you daughter.   

Now I'm going in the shed to look at my Fazer, just to get back on topic, might even change about 200 ml of my fork oil for a heaver weight to help slow down the rebound just a tad. In fact I will change it.

« Last Edit: 03 January 2017, 01:51:40 pm by tommyardin »