Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:51 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604942 times)

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #5975 on: 27 April 2016, 08:51:40 pm »

Just hoping I've managed to put enough pressure on the link rivets for it to hold, don't know if they're over far enough got my liking :(

Looks good to me Colin  :thumbup

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: 27 April 2016, 08:59:42 pm »

Just hoping I've managed to put enough pressure on the link rivets for it to hold, don't know if they're over far enough for my liking :(

Looks good to me Colin  :thumbup
Cheers Freck, might sleep a wee bit easier tonight :thumbup
« Last Edit: 27 April 2016, 09:01:42 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: 27 April 2016, 09:08:16 pm »
Passed my Mod 2  :D :D :D  !!!

went out for my first ride on the fazer fzs600 '99  omg i love it !

cant wait to meet some fellow foccers on the next meet up ?????

Congratulations Matt.  :thumbup  Just in time for the summer.

Steve
Thanks Steve,  Thinking about doing bike safe coarse when I've got a bit more big bike experience

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: 27 April 2016, 10:08:05 pm »

Just hoping I've managed to put enough pressure on the link rivets for it to hold, don't know if they're over far enough for my liking :(

Looks good to me, many over do it and can crack the head of the rivet. Measure the diameter of the flared end
Recommended flared diameter of the rivet  for a 530VX chain is between 5.7mm - 6mm  :thumbup

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: 28 April 2016, 04:18:38 pm »
Took the thou for it's MOT and passed with no advisories once again :) Front brakes are binding a little which is weird as a I cleaned them up and put in new front pads about 2 weeks ago. So I guess may be time for new seals... may have to look in to a new timing chain at some point as well as the bike is ticking when it is cold - I already tried the giving it a thrashing technique... a few times, just to be sure  :evil

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: 28 April 2016, 04:56:20 pm »

Looks good to me, many over do it and can crack the head of the rivet. Measure the diameter of the flared end
Recommended flared diameter of the rivet  for a 530VX chain is between 5.7mm - 6mm  :thumbup

Cheers :thumbup
Hard to measure as I don't have one of those fancy measuring tools and was pretty hard to hold a tape against it and take a pic but I reckon there between 5.5mm and 6mm, the dreaded first run will be interesting :lol I best remember and take a spare change of underpants with me :lol
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 04:57:07 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: 28 April 2016, 05:03:16 pm »

Hard to measure as I don't have one of those fancy measuring tools and was pretty hard to hold a tape against it and take a pic but I reckon there between 5.5mm and 6mm, the dreaded first run will be interesting :lol I best remember and take a spare change of underpants with me :lol

Don't forget the soapy flannel in a plastic bag :moon
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 05:04:50 pm by tommyardin »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: 28 April 2016, 05:27:23 pm »

I'm taking notes here :lol

Amazing that this is the first time I've done a chain on a motorbike, stripped engines and done lots of other various jobs around motorbikes and cars though.

Never had to replace the chain due to getting rid of the bikes well before they were needed and also having a couple of shaft drive BMW's :)
Colin
----------------------

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: 28 April 2016, 05:34:34 pm »
If you had the swing arm off why didnt you go for a continuous chain
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: 28 April 2016, 05:41:12 pm »
I asked for that but they said it didn't come like that with a DID kit so I ended up with a link.
Colin
----------------------

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5985 on: 28 April 2016, 06:25:23 pm »

My chain and sprockets are fine I think they were done around the time I purchased the bike 3 years ago (about 8,000 ago) there is no hooking on either of the sprockets and the chain does not have any real slack spots, I lube it up with Motul Chain Lube MC Spray every 1000 or so.

But I'm interested in the pluses and minuses on endless or rivited chains, any opinions gratefully received. :thumbup [size=78%] [/size]

MMCMME

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: 28 April 2016, 06:29:39 pm »
I was the same mate. First chain I have done too and I was adamant it was going to split when riding.

200 miles later and it hasn't shifted. We need to start trusting our handywork more  :lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: 28 April 2016, 06:51:40 pm »
But I'm interested in the pluses and minuses on endless or rivited chains, any opinions gratefully received.
I noticed from my endless chain I didn't have fear of link breaking as to what I have now but I'm sure the more :thumbup I get will bound me with more confidence.

I was the same mate. First chain I have done too and I was adamant it was going to split when riding.

200 miles later and it hasn't shifted. We need to start trusting our handywork more  :lol
I'm sure your right mate, it's the only thing I've ever done something on the :faz where I'm thinking "what if"?
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 07:03:14 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: 28 April 2016, 07:16:10 pm »
But I'm interested in the pluses and minuses on endless or rivited chains, any opinions gratefully received.
I noticed from my endless chain I didn't have fear of link breaking as to what I have now but I'm sure the more :thumbup I get will bound me with more confidence.

I'm sure your right mate, it's the only thing I've ever done something on the :faz where I'm thinking "what if"?

Yes but just because your paranoid doesn't mean it wont snap...............
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: 28 April 2016, 07:29:56 pm »

Oh thanks for the boost of confidence Joe :pokefun
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: 28 April 2016, 07:41:09 pm »
My pleasure lol

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: 28 April 2016, 07:43:10 pm »
Just check it after a ride a couple of times, if all's well forget about it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: 28 April 2016, 07:58:32 pm »

All the bikes I had years ago had chains that were joined with a split link with a clip, I never had any trouble with them.
I have to admit thought that the best bike/most powerful I had all those years ago was 1961 650 BSA Super Rocket with a A10 Twin pre-unit construction engine (Completely separate gear box) The power output from the Beezer was less than a third that of my 2003 Registered 600 FZS. The BSA top speed was under the right conditions 103mph with a trailing wind. (Thinking about that now I should have removed the speedo and replaced it with a calendar)
I have hit 140mph on the Fazer according to my Sat Nav. but it's the power to the back wheel that is the real difference my Fazers 0-60mph time is much much less than half of that of the BSA Super Rocket. You had to sit well back on the Super Rocket and really try to get the front up with a standing start wheelie, I'm afraid my Fazer has done it a couple of time when I have been showing off in front of friends, accelerating off hard and the front has come right up unintentionally and made myself look a right prick. But that's not hard to do. :eek  I love that Fazer.
I'm wondering what a Gen 1 1K goes like. :rolleyes  maybe one day I might invest, but the 600 stays. But I really need to remove the Toys R Us pogo stick from the back and fit a Hagon, that's my next project when the Mrs next goes to her sisters for a few days. :evil
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 08:00:47 pm by tommyardin »

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: 28 April 2016, 07:59:33 pm »

Baby Wipes, in a resealable bag - help in all sorts of occasions, smell nice and don't dry out  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: 28 April 2016, 09:26:15 pm »
Just check it after a ride a couple of times, if all's well forget about it.

Yep, think it'll need the initial runs under my belt to get it to back of my mind :)

Mate came over for a coffee and chat earlier and I showed it to him, started up the bike and out it through the gears and revved it a bit all be it was on the centre stand and front brake was securely held on :eek he says it looks good and shouldn't worry about it so just need to plan a wee run now :) unfortunately the weather 8n Glasgow area is abysmal for this time of year 😕
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: 28 April 2016, 09:37:19 pm »
Hear you may need to get your ski's out tomorrow
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 09:38:07 pm by joebloggs »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: 28 April 2016, 09:45:55 pm »
Some mates were out today and posted on f/b pictures of snow today! Foccin horrible weather and I've got to walk or cycle 3 miles tomorrow to get my car from the garage after its MOT (passed after getting new rear calipers, £££'s ouch!) But hey ho, we're tough up here in sunny Scotland :lol
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 09:47:24 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: 28 April 2016, 10:39:03 pm »
Some mates were out today and posted on f/b pictures of snow today! Foccin horrible weather and I've got to walk or cycle 3 miles tomorrow to get my car from the garage after its MOT (passed after getting new rear calipers, £££'s ouch!) But hey ho, we're tough up here in sunny Scotland :lol

Hi just had the same with my MR2 two new calipers, four new disks and pads plus handbrake cables about 650 squids, with labour, Ouch Ouch Ouch X 2.
With saying that though is not a job I would want to do myself, petrol tank off to do the handbrake cables also disconnect some of the air conditioning pipes to get the tank off (Mid Engine Car). both seats have to come out of the car to remove the central tunnel to get to the handbrake lever connections. My mechanic is a great guy and always casts a critical eye over the car when he works on it and informed me it will want a new nearside front strut for the MOT in September, oil leaking down the outside of the leg. another £120-£150 I would guess.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: 28 April 2016, 10:49:47 pm »

Hi just had the same with my MR2 two new calipers, four new disks and pads plus handbrake cables about 650 squids, with labour, Ouch Ouch Ouch X 2.
With saying that though is not a job I would want to do myself, petrol tank off to do the handbrake cables also disconnect some of the air conditioning pipes to get the tank off (Mid Engine Car). both seats have to come out of the car to remove the central tunnel to get to the handbrake lever connections. My mechanic is a great guy and always casts a critical eye over the car when he works on it and informed me it will want a new nearside front strut for the MOT in September, oil leaking down the outside of the leg. another £120-£150 I would guess.
Running 2 vehicles isn't cheap! Thank god they're both bought and paid for but running costs are another thing :(
Forgot to mention that on my car I'd just bought new pads all round £40, two new front tyres £120, had to get them for MOT but I was just driving round going to a motorbike shop near me last week, when a kind policeman was pulling people over, he said to me that I needed a couple of front tyres and quick as a flash I said "I was actually just going into that garage to get them officer" thankfully he let me go and get them there and then provided 8 came back and let him see them, which I duly did and he let me on my way. Nice chap I've got to say as it would of cost me £200 in fines and 6 points on my license  (which is clean) and I'd still of had to buy the tyres on top, so hats off to a decent cop with discretion.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 10:50:52 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: 28 April 2016, 10:51:07 pm »
Ouch, have  94 1.8 Eunos, cars a piece of cake to work on. Cam belt and water pump a lazy days work on the drive. Very little to go wrong, rust seems to be the number one killer