Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:21 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604775 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #5825 on: 27 March 2016, 12:06:06 am »
Tommy, the truth hurts, everything reducing with age  :lol

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: 27 March 2016, 09:45:58 am »
have to wear 7 inch stilettos
Just because it's a long weekend don't be dragging us into your pervy games!  :rollin

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: 27 March 2016, 11:28:08 am »
Seems like there are a few different R6 shocks out there, some on eBay look different than others I have seen, some have a piggyback adjustment screw while other have two separate screws others appear to have a totally different bottom Fixing than others.
Any chance of a picture or three of the best one to go for.

I can get the  spacer shims made up and I understand that I will need new doggies and maybe a heavier spring for my weight to get the right sag amount I understand it should be between 30-40 mm with me on the bike with all my riding gear on.
Thanks Didier9 for the quick reply and helpful info.
 :thumbup :woot [size=78%]  [/size]

Have a look at the thou corner , at the top of the page, should be all the info you need, or better still buy one off the devil ready to fit kit.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: 27 March 2016, 01:59:19 pm »
Seems like there are a few different R6 shocks out there, some on eBay look different than others I have seen, some have a piggyback adjustment screw while other have two separate screws others appear to have a totally different bottom Fixing than others.
Any chance of a picture or three of the best one to go for.

I can get the  spacer shims made up and I understand that I will need new doggies and maybe a heavier spring for my weight to get the right sag amount I understand it should be between 30-40 mm with me on the bike with all my riding gear on.
 :thumbup :woot [size=78%]  [/size]

You need to check the postings to make sure but most use the 2008 or later R6 shock, which is what I got.
I bought the dog bones from Dean Dinnetz on the yamahafz1oa.com forum.

« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 02:44:44 pm by Didier9 »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: 27 March 2016, 02:06:32 pm »
Does the R6 shock conversion apply to the FZS 600? I know Luke does a replacement shock + fittings for the THOU
tommyyardin how much you looking to spend? The Wilbers unit I had made up for my 600  with spring designed to suit my weight/riding style cost £295-unlike the OE shock the Wilbers is rebuildable/serviceable. Best £300 I have spent in a long time. Its transformed the bike :lol

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: 27 March 2016, 02:22:21 pm »
Does the R6 shock conversion apply to the FZS 600? I know Luke does a replacement shock + fittings for the THOU
tommyyardin how much you looking to spend? The Wilbers unit I had made up for my 600  with spring designed to suit my weight/riding style cost £295-unlike the OE shock the Wilbers is rebuildable/serviceable. Best £300 I have spent in a long time. Its transformed the bike :lol

I honestly have no idea. I believe the FZS600 is sold in the US as the FZ6, but I am not sure that they are actually the same bike, and I do not know if the shocks are the same.

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: 27 March 2016, 03:03:13 pm »
I will need new doggies and maybe a heavier spring for my weight to get the right sag amount I understand it should be between 30-40 mm with me on the bike with all my riding gear on.

The R6 shock is a little stiffer than the stock FZS1000, so you may be just fine with it (the shock itself is actually quite a bit stiffer, but the new dogbones temper that somewhat, so after the upgrade, the suspension is supposed to be about 15% stiffer)
Apparently, the stock shock on the FZS10000 has a tendency to bottom out (due to soft spring and lack of fast/slow compression damping adjustment), so the R6 shock is supposed to help with that. I have not personally experienced it even though I am at least 210 lbs with gear but I do not ride hard.
Someone on the FZ1OA forum said the shock from the S1000RR is even better, but a quick look shows that it is hard to get and quite a bit more expensive (more like >$250) so I did not go that route.
Also suggested was to have the shock rebuilt by Traxxion in the US. That also is upward of $400 (plus shipping both ways, plus no bike for a couple of weeks at best) so that was out of the question for me as well.
For me, I will just be happy if the rear of the bike tracks as well as my daughter's FZ-07's when I am done with it. The FZS1000 fork is fine, as long as you have it serviced regularly.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 03:05:08 pm by Didier9 »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: 27 March 2016, 03:10:12 pm »
have to wear 7 inch stilettos
Just because it's a long weekend don't be dragging us into your pervy games!  :rollin

Nothing Pervy about that its the norm over here in Hampshire UK. :moon

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: 27 March 2016, 03:20:54 pm »
I will need new doggies and maybe a heavier spring for my weight to get the right sag amount I understand it should be between 30-40 mm with me on the bike with all my riding gear on.

The R6 shock is a little stiffer than the stock FZS1000, so you may be just fine with it (the shock itself is actually quite a bit stiffer, but the new dogbones temper that somewhat, so after the upgrade, the suspension is supposed to be about 15% stiffer)
Apparently, the stock shock on the FZS10000 has a tendency to bottom out (due to soft spring and lack of fast/slow compression damping adjustment), so the R6 shock is supposed to help with that. I have not personally experienced it even though I am at least 210 lbs with gear but I do not ride hard.
Someone on the FZ1OA forum said the shock from the S1000RR is even better, but a quick look shows that it is hard to get and quite a bit more expensive (more like >$250) so I did not go that route.
Also suggested was to have the shock rebuilt by Traxxion in the US. That also is upward of $400 (plus shipping both ways, plus no bike for a couple of weeks at best) so that was out of the question for me as well.
For me, I will just be happy if the rear of the bike tracks as well as my daughter's FZ-07's when I am done with it. The FZS1000 fork is fine, as long as you have it serviced regularly.

Hi again Didier9,
I will need to look into the costs involved in doing the upgrade as I am a retired old git now and the pennies need to be watched. I also run a small sports car and a Vauxhall van.
I have kept the Mrs working for a few more years to help fund my passions (Mechanical) lol!
Bless her heart she still a baby, I married a Toy Girl. :lol

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: 27 March 2016, 03:39:48 pm »
Hi again Didier9,
I will need to look into the costs involved in doing the upgrade as I am a retired old git now and the pennies need to be watched. I also run a small sports car and a Vauxhall van.

I know the feeling, retirement is around the corner for me and I am absolutely unprepared (a divorce 8 years ago took care of my retirement fund and a third of my income)... I do try to spend my money wisely. I paid $2,500 for this '03 with 13,000 miles (when I bought it) and the most significant upgrades so far have been Ivan's jet kit (about $400 with the installation and carb cleaning, which was needed), HID projectors (about $60) and an Ohlins steering damper ($200)

From what I have read, the R6 shock mod is by far the best bang for the buck, suspension-wise. I will comment on what I think of it when I actually do the swap.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: 27 March 2016, 04:00:10 pm »
Hi again Didier9,

I know the feeling, retirement is around the corner for me and I am absolutely unprepared (a divorce 8 years ago took care of my retirement fund and a third of my income)... I do try to spend my money wisely. I paid $2,500 for this '03 with 13,000 miles (when I bought it) and the most significant upgrades so far have been Ivan's jet kit (about $400 with the installation and carb cleaning, which was needed), HID projectors (about $60) and an Ohlins steering damper ($200)

From what I have read, the R6 shock mod is by far the best bang for the buck, suspension-wise. I will comment on what I think of it when I actually do the swap.

[size=78%][/size] [size=78%][/size] :rolleyes

« Last Edit: 31 March 2016, 09:08:32 am by tommyardin »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: 27 March 2016, 05:09:56 pm »
Tommy
The simplest replacement option for the FZS600 is a Hagon shock which are around £299 new with a 2 year warranty. If you weigh more than 95 Kgs go for the heavier spring. It fits straight in and no playing with dog bones or spring rates. I have one on my FZS600 and has covered over 60000miles, but I opted for the heavier spring as I do a lot of 2 up touring and thought the standard Hagon was a bit to soft for my liking

One issue with replacing the 600 shock with ones from the R6 is getting a spring to suit as the standard 600 spring is 14.7 Kg/mm whereas  the R6 is around 10.5Kg/mm.

Didier
I have an 2012 S1000RR rear shock on the FZS1000 which is a relatively simply fit and no changes to the dog bones. It raises the rear by 10mm which suits the FZS1000. The earlier 2010 and 2011 S1000rr ones are not really suitable as the spring is softer and the shock is really to long.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: 27 March 2016, 07:20:09 pm »
Tommy
The simplest replacement option for the FZS600 is a Hagon shock which are around £299 new with a 2 year warranty. If you weigh more than 95 Kgs go for the heavier spring. It fits straight in and no playing with dog bones or spring rates. I have one on my FZS600 and has covered over 60000miles.

Hey unfazed,
Just been on the 'Hagon' website and the shock for my bike is indeed £299-50, the fact that the unit is made for the FZS600 fazer (98-2003) makes the task easier, no spacers and doggy replacements, just swap it over. I now need to convince the Mrs that the bike is totally unusable and unrideable without this very necessary replacement part, then jobs a good-un. with my riding jacket, boot, gloves, bucket etc I'm 89 Kg so I guess the standard spring would be about right, I do not ride two up very often, maybe once every 20 or 30 outings, and its either my Mrs or daughter and they only go about 57 Kg togged up.
Shame it was MOT'ed a week ago I could have brought that into the equation.

The next really necessary expense is the stainless steel after cat exhaust system for my MR2 Spider, that really needs to be done sooooooooooooo badly before the good weather sets in because it doesn't sound as I want it to  LOL. :eek 
Then the seats are black leather and I was thinking about getting red leather replacements for the Spider, but I think I may get an unsatisfactory response to that     :foc Yeah that's the one :rollin
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 07:38:12 pm by tommyardin »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5838 on: 27 March 2016, 07:33:04 pm »
Finally got around to replacing the rear brake pads and then went for a quick run to check they're working ok (fortunately they are!) :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: 27 March 2016, 07:39:56 pm »
Sorry about all this rear shocker chat, sort of steered the post away from it original intention. well done for getting it back on line with your post Grahamm
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 07:40:52 pm by tommyardin »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5840 on: 27 March 2016, 08:04:35 pm »
well done for getting it back on line with your post Grahamm

It's a pity it took me longer than I'd hoped, otherwise I might have given the new brakes a proper check ride up to Loomies :(

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: 27 March 2016, 08:54:41 pm »
Yeah Tommy, we nearly had you getting serious there for a while, but then you started talking about pussies and leather  :rollin :rollin

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: 27 March 2016, 08:59:15 pm »
Me and my brother met up with Slimwilly and followed his lead along the Newtown to Crossgate rd.
A few sporadic showers but still had fun.
Nice bit of grub at Crossgate and slim insisted on declaring his true feelings at lovers waterfall. :D
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 09:03:32 pm by dazza »

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: 27 March 2016, 09:15:41 pm »
that,s sweet. xxxx
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: 27 March 2016, 09:23:05 pm »
He is a lovely southerner,as southeners go. Although he did look like he crawled out of the bottom of that waterfall to tell us to feck off.lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: 27 March 2016, 09:50:34 pm »
Yeah Tommy, we nearly had you getting serious there for a while, but then you started talking about pussies who ride RED FAZERS with leather handbags :rollin :rollin

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: 27 March 2016, 10:01:27 pm »
Tommy
The simplest replacement option for the FZS600 is a Hagon shock which are around £299 new with a 2 year warranty. If you weigh more than 95 Kgs go for the heavier spring. It fits straight in and no playing with dog bones or spring rates. I have one on my FZS600 and has covered over 60000miles, but I opted for the heavier spring as I do a lot of 2 up touring and thought the standard Hagon was a bit to soft for my liking

One issue with replacing the 600 shock with ones from the R6 is getting a spring to suit as the standard 600 spring is 14.7 Kg/mm whereas  the R6 is around 10.5Kg/mm.

Didier
I have an 2012 S1000RR rear shock on the FZS1000 which is a relatively simply fit and no changes to the dog bones. It raises the rear by 10mm which suits the FZS1000. The earlier 2010 and 2011 S1000rr ones are not really suitable as the spring is softer and the shock is really to long.

I am surprised the 600 spring is so stiff , the OEM rear spring in the FZS1000 is 7.5kg/mm. The geometry must be different.
The dog bones I bought actually do raise the rear by about that much. I was told it makes the bike want to turn a little better and makes it easier to put on the center stand, two things I am not opposed to.
Does the S1000RR shock has the right hole sizes as well?
I just looked at the US eBay site and they have a few reasonably priced 2012 or later S1000RR shocks. Interesting!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: 27 March 2016, 10:54:10 pm »
Stock spring on the 2012 - 2013 S1000RR is 8.5 Kg/mm
Holes are 10mm and need to be drilled out to 12mm
See info here
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,4976.msg132497.html#msg132497

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: 27 March 2016, 10:57:26 pm »
Yeah Tommy, we nearly had you getting serious there for a while, but then you started talking about pussies who ride RED FAZERS with leather handbags :rollin :rollin

Jealously will get you nowhere and all this talk you have about anti Red Fazers talk only shows you really want but are afraid you couldn't handle it  :lol :lol

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: 27 March 2016, 11:08:07 pm »
alright lads break it up ,,,take it over to the "my shock is better than yours section" 
 admin a little order here please  :lol
please god let the sun keep shining