Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:50 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604939 times)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #5325 on: 08 November 2015, 06:28:59 pm »
Fazer No 3 has been serviced, cleaned and greased, lubed and adjusted everywhere. Fitted stainless bolts in a few places and it's looking a lot better than when i bought it :)
Beautiful, nice job! I want to replace the screws holding the front rotors too, they are rusty on mine. I found a few sellers having those on eBay for $40 or so, not cheap for a few bolts :(

Are they m8 x 25 like the 600? If so why not use stainless button heads, not expensive and no special shoulder on the stock ones (well not on the 600)
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: 08 November 2015, 06:38:08 pm »
The disc bolts were rubbed down and painted :lol  This bike is for work, so not spending too much on it.. I replaced the mudguard bolts and a few other ones with stainless :D
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: 11 November 2015, 02:35:06 am »
Are they m8 x 25 like the 600? If so why not use stainless button heads, not expensive and no special shoulder on the stock ones (well not on the 600)
Not sure what size they are, the service manual only has a part number 90109-064G6-00. I have not removed them, my torque wrench is broken, so I would rather not take them out until I know I can put them back with the proper torque.

They appear to be common to a multitude of bikes though: FZ1, FZ6, R1, R6, FJR and Bolt and many others.

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: 11 November 2015, 08:42:42 am »

picked up me winter wheels.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: 11 November 2015, 12:42:37 pm »
Not sure what size they are, the service manual only has a part number 90109-064G6-00. I have not removed them, my torque wrench is broken, so I would rather not take them out until I know I can put them back with the proper torque.

They appear to be common to a multitude of bikes though: FZ1, FZ6, R1, R6, FJR and Bolt and many others.

I've only ever used a torque wrench when rebuilding an engine, and even then have always knocked a few pounds off the recomended settings after a rather costly accident when using the manufacturer's recomended settings

As for everything else I check the bolts after a couple of days just to make sure nothings vibrating undone (safer than relying on torque settings only to find I missed one during re assembly)

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: 12 November 2015, 03:02:14 am »

I've only ever used a torque wrench when rebuilding an engine, and even then have always knocked a few pounds off the recomended settings after a rather costly accident when using the manufacturer's recomended settings

As for everything else I check the bolts after a couple of days just to make sure nothings vibrating undone (safer than relying on torque settings only to find I missed one during re assembly)

That's what I have done for most of my life (I am 63), until I actually got a torque wrench a few years ago. Checking myself against it I found I had a tendency to overtorque pretty much everything... so I developed a religion and I now use it for at least some of the more critical items. I do not routinely use it on everything, but it looked like the brake bolts would be one of those more critical parts. Before the wrench broke, I last used it on the rear axle and on the oil filter for instance. The hardware on bikes being somewhat smaller than equivalent hardware on cars, I am even more concerned about overtorquing, so I have just ordered a replacement torque wrench.

Regardless of torque wrench or not, I also like to check after a couple hundred miles, particularly when bolts secure aluminium parts (most everything on bikes), as they tend to expand and contract more than steel and therefore tend to get bolts lose. Typical examples being aluminium wheels on cars, these will get lose if not torqued properly.

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: 12 November 2015, 03:10:03 am »
Rode the Fazer to the shop for an Ivan jet kit, and checking the choke (has never worked since I bought this bike in July, was not a problem until now).

Temperature dropped down to the 50's since the middle of last week, at least in the morning (I know, it's terrible) and the lack of choke started showing. The bike would not start or would not keep running after starting. Since it has been going on for about a week, and I only have a typical 15 minutes ride to work, the battery was not recharging sufficiently after the lengthy attempts to start the engine, so this morning I had to put the charger to start the bike.

I had planned to have the jet kit installed anyway and I was indeed waiting for the temperature to drop enough to make sure the shop could see and fix the choke problem. Hopefully all this will be done in one day, I miss my bike already...

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: 12 November 2015, 07:38:53 pm »
Stopped at the shop over lunch. Carbs were pretty cruddy, he will have to replace the gaskets, so I will have the bike tomorrow. He said I probably won't recognize it :) The bike was already fantastic before, looking forward to ride over the week end!

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: 14 November 2015, 12:56:25 am »
Pretty frustrated rider here. The truck that was supposed to bring the gaskets today did no show up, so no bike for the week end :(
The worst part is that this looked like a great week end for riding, not sure how many more we are going to have this year.
It's in times like this that I really want a second bike...

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: 14 November 2015, 08:06:33 am »
The worst part is that this looked like a great week end for riding, not sure how many more we are going to have this year.
You like riding in wind and rain then?  :lol  It's hoofing it down here!
Hope your bikes like a new 'un when you do get it back  :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: 14 November 2015, 10:17:18 am »

Chucking it down here too :(, but I think Didier9 is a long long way from here :sun.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: 14 November 2015, 12:49:38 pm »
Just collected a set of Metzeler sportec M7 RR for the 1000.

Now to fit them and the Wilbers fork springs.

Back to playing with the suspension settings again, now all I need is a few dry days :'(

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: 14 November 2015, 03:48:56 pm »
I've fitted the purple wheel rim tape :lol  Let me know your thoughts... The pics make it look brighter than it is. I think the flash didn't help ;)  before and after....

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: 14 November 2015, 04:00:41 pm »
That's your second Fazer yeah????.....what master cylinder is that off

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: 14 November 2015, 04:18:14 pm »
Yes it fazer no2 was no 3 but sold other one yesterday. It's the standard 2002 r1 master cylinder and fluid reservoir.

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: 15 November 2015, 12:21:04 am »

Well, the last two weekends we had pouring rain, but this one is great.
It is cooling off, I need to find myself warmer gloves.
Yeah, I am so much ready to get her back!

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: 18 November 2015, 03:51:54 am »
Got my bike back today, finally!!! But it was worth the wait! Not sure how much to credit the carb cleaning versus Ivan's jet kit, but the bike is now buttery smooth all the way up from idle, where before it was very rough below 2000 rpm. The butt dyno also reports appreciably better torque around 3,000 rpm, not that it was lacking before. Overall I am extremely pleased!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: 19 November 2015, 11:15:15 pm »
Popped in the garage for a quick 15 min rebuild of my indicator switch after it felt a bit grim and my right indicators were not working (but bulbs fine).  After cleaning the switch up, bit of lube etc it felt like new, switch on, left indicators could not be stopped!  Strip back down, everything seemed ok.  Mess about, try this and that.  Notice the hazard switch was on, d'oh!  Rebuild it all, all back on.  No right indicators, but I notice the rear one flashing rapid.  Front bulb fine, no power... Check relay, connections, nothing showing on the volt meter.

Unravel the main white connector block near rectifier.  All clean from last time I did it.  Try indicators while scratching head, work fine!  Traced it down to another broken wire a few inches from the block (dark green).  I am starting to think the loom was pulled/yanked when it was crashed before I bought it...

Anywho, a quick 15 mins had turned into an hour and a half - good job er'indoors was out!
Intentionally left blank

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: 20 November 2015, 09:02:03 am »
I gave the front brakes a clean up and light regrease.  They were so manky but it all came off with a spray of brake cleaner.  I try to do this every 3 or 4 months, depending on use and weather
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: 20 November 2015, 02:19:36 pm »
Had to use it for a 60 mile round trip, son had borrowed car,  wet and cold, reminded me why I don't ride when its wet and cold :\

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: intermittently quick flashing turn signals
« Reply #5345 on: 20 November 2015, 08:14:14 pm »
I have been fighting an intermittently quick flashing from the right indicators. Would not do it all the time, and when it did it, both front and rear lights actually were flashing.I scratched my head more than once. I checked the wiring and redid a good bit of it to no avail. Finally, I found out the front bulb on the right side does not pull as much current as the one on the left side, and the flasher must be right at the limit where it decides it's not enough current and it blinks fast to tell you a bulb is dead, so sometimes it's happy and sometimes it's not.I have aftermarket indicators and it's not easy finding the right bulbs locally, but they are bright enough so I think I may just put a resistor in parallel and call it done (one of these resistors they sell with LED indicators).
« Last Edit: 20 November 2015, 08:17:25 pm by Didier9 »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: 20 November 2015, 10:03:36 pm »
After today's hailstones on the ride home I ordered a new front tyre as mine is currently almost bald...
Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: 21 November 2015, 06:38:17 pm »
Threw it in the back of a hired van and took it home to Carlisle  :D

God only knows how I'm gonna get it off the van by myself in the morning  :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: 21 November 2015, 07:14:48 pm »
Should be interesting, video yourself unloading it, we could do with a laugh  :lol :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: 21 November 2015, 07:18:17 pm »
Can you set up a live feed
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.