Date: 27-04-24  Time: 09:49 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604849 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #3275 on: 17 August 2014, 07:54:43 pm »
There's nothing changed on it as far as distance comfort goes Nogs. The ride isn't harsher than it was before - just much better controlled. Luke has simply set it up for someone of my weight. The standard gen 1 rear shock is known to be a weak point, and was pretty terrible on my last three bikes. A Hagon shock on the back of the last one transformed it, but that one had really let go, so there was a massive difference. This one seemed to last better, but the R6 one is a clear improvement.

But I'm probably not the best person to ask about suspension changes. I've never altered the suspension settings I've had on any bike I've owned, and that includes machines bought second hand! I just tend to get on and ride the things, plus, I've never really had the money to play about with fancy set-ups. Fiddling with suspension settings scares me, cos I've read so many things that warn of the knots you can tie yourself in if you don't really know what you're doing, and I don't  :lol

When I load a bike up for a spot of touring, I don't touch anything either. I just ride to suit the altered weight. If I'm touring, I'm happy to go a bit slower, cos I'll be taking in the scenery more anyway. But my current touring/camping kit weighs considerably less than your average pillion, so doesn't affect the ride that much anyhoo.

The R6 shock has made me wonder how far you can go with a gen 1, and it still be a great all-rounder though. I'll have to do the R1 fork mod some time (probably next year now), and I actually got to wondering how much difference a pair of carbon/magnesium/ultra-light, super-unobtainium wheels would make - reducing unsprung weight an' all that. The gen 1 will always have a weight penalty over more modern bikes, but that doesn't mean it can't be quite awesome - we've seen here what they can do on the track, and plenty here have already done all the mods I'm slowly getting around to doing - except I haven't seen anyone try the lightweight wheels option yet, probably for obvious reasons ££££££££!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: 17 August 2014, 07:54:50 pm »
Glad u got it setup a bit more to your liking. I highly recommend a set of arrow headers if u are feeling flush.

I was too scared to look at the previous link you put up :lol ......they do look nice........you'll be needing new tyres soon too on that tyre shredding machine of yours........i still wish i'd bought your one......foccer :b
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: 17 August 2014, 08:01:18 pm »
On the dyno week after next let's see what it puts out. New tires are waiting in the loft to be fitted. I don't ride that hard most of the time anyways.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: 17 August 2014, 08:02:39 pm »
There's nothing changed on it as far as distance comfort goes Nogs. The ride isn't harsher than it was before - just much better controlled. Luke has simply set it up for someone of my weight. The standard gen 1 rear shock is known to be a weak point, and was pretty terrible on my last three bikes. A Hagon shock on the back of the last one transformed it, but that one had really let go, so there was a massive difference. This one seemed to last better, but the R6 one is a clear improvement.

But I'm probably not the best person to ask about suspension changes. I've never altered the suspension settings I've had on any bike I've owned, and that includes machines bought second hand! I just tend to get on and ride the things, plus, I've never really had the money to play about with fancy set-ups. Fiddling with suspension settings scares me, cos I've read so many things that warn of the knots you can tie yourself in if you don't really know what you're doing, and I don't  :lol

When I load a bike up for a spot of touring, I don't touch anything either. I just ride to suit the altered weight. If I'm touring, I'm happy to go a bit slower, cos I'll be taking in the scenery more anyway. But my current touring/camping kit weighs considerably less than your average pillion, so doesn't affect the ride that much anyhoo.

The R6 shock has made me wonder how far you can go with a gen 1, and it still be a great all-rounder though. I'll have to do the R1 fork mod some time (probably next year now), and I actually got to wondering how much difference a pair of carbon/magnesium/ultra-light, super-unobtainium wheels would make - reducing unsprung weight an' all that. The gen 1 will always have a weight penalty over more modern bikes, but that doesn't mean it can't be quite awesome - we've seen here what they can do on the track, and plenty here have already done all the mods I'm slowly getting around to doing - except I haven't seen anyone try the lightweight wheels option yet, probably for obvious reasons ££££££££!

Sounds really good Nick.....of course only Welsh roads will decide though :D ......if we see any more sun..

Tricky one aint it.....the more settings we get then the more we can foc up........but we dont alter settings when we get in a sporty car.....suppose bikes are so sensitive to weight though.....& devilsyam will have known how to set it up to be pretty good for you.

All good 8)

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: 17 August 2014, 10:36:21 pm »
Cleaned my GEN 1, first chance after my ride to Malta and back, 4400 miles in 13 days riding, longest day 471 miles (to Dijon from home) shortest, 157 miles Lake Como to Landeck (Austria) via Stelvio pass.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3280 on: 17 August 2014, 11:05:48 pm »
I did my first solo wheel bearing change  :thumbup

It wen't well, apart from me not knowing there is a hub bearing to be changed too. I need to get one ordered then.

I fitted a standard 15 tooth front sprocket. I changed to -1 5 months ago. The negatives outweigh the positives for me.

I removed and polished my exhaust. A header was blowing, so I needed new gaskets anyway.

I also removed, baked, cleaned and reassembled my headlamp unit and fitted 10k HiD units. Seems to be going well.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3281 on: 17 August 2014, 11:10:31 pm »
And my bike is in bits a few days before I go on the Poppy-Tour  :eek
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: 20 August 2014, 08:50:48 am »
Went for a blast out last night 100 or do miles. Decided I don't like the custom map

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: 20 August 2014, 08:57:20 am »

Cool pic 8)

Can you just download these different maps for free then or is that wishful thinking?.

I could do with a power commander.......ive got no issue with power delivery...well once im shifting on it is bloody rapid.....but i do have the jerkyness at moments such as going round roundabouts whereby it is no throttle to ohmyfuckingod its gonna fire me into the hedge and nothing in between :o

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: 20 August 2014, 06:56:39 pm »
Maps are free the custom uploaded ones anyway. U can have your own made which costs ie dyno time etc.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: 20 August 2014, 07:12:32 pm »
Went for a blast out last night 100 or do miles. Decided I don't like the custom map

Excellent pic  :thumbup

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: 22 August 2014, 05:19:36 pm »
reached a milestone!

60,000 miles (halfway to work this morning).

I can feel the engine freeing up as it will be almost run in by now :p
Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: 22 August 2014, 05:49:43 pm »

:eek  That's a bloody long commute - what you got, an intergalactic Fazer or something?!   :lol

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: 22 August 2014, 06:09:28 pm »

:eek  That's a bloody long commute - what you got, an intergalactic Fazer or something?!   :lol

ah very good Nick. :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: 22 August 2014, 06:26:20 pm »
Droll... Very Droll..  :)
Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: 24 August 2014, 05:21:23 pm »
H's café today, where was seen a trio of triples:

Pristine 750 H2B:

H2C with KR1 forks, brakes, wheels, s/arm:

Immaculate KH250:

And a beautifully restored Z900:

Followed by a blat around Salisbury Plain etc.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2014, 05:25:21 pm by nick crisp »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: 24 August 2014, 05:50:32 pm »
Rode it this morning then cleaned the chain with paraffin & dedicated brush. Relubed with engine oil.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: 24 August 2014, 06:10:19 pm »
Went for a ride down to Weymouth via Chew valley , up over the Mendips onto Shepton Mallet along the A37 to Yeovil , then onto Dorchester and Weymouth , the roads were surprisingly quiet but Weymouth was packed , nice Augusta in Weymouth .
Came back via Cheddar stopped for a coffee , nice Valkyrie and ZXR1200 parked up , got chatting to a Harley  owner  .
Then home via Burrington , through Chew valley down Dundry hill into Bristol .
Saw a couple of Fazers .

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: 24 August 2014, 06:12:06 pm »
Pics from Cheddar

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: 24 August 2014, 06:39:21 pm »
Hooned around the TT circuit.. twice.. Having spent most of the day at Jurby looking at wonderful old bikes.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: 24 August 2014, 07:37:31 pm »
Got the front sprocket off, degreased the area and the swingarm and chain  after the 2500 mile trip to Czeq and back,

found my 16 tooth front sprocket and put it on,

Just took it for a 20 minute spin,,,,,oh my ,,,it really is much, much, much  more fun with the 16 tooth front :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: 24 August 2014, 08:16:48 pm »
Got the front sprocket off, degreased the area and the swingarm and chain  after the 2500 mile trip to Czeq and back,

Just took it for a 20 minute spin,,,,,oh my ,,,it really is much, much, much  more fun with the 16 tooth front :lol

I had the front skimming the tarmac purely unintentionally exiting a roundabout next to M/C Megastore today - guess I was in third, didn't think I was really giving it any. So a smaller front sprocket just isn't needed on a gen 1 methinks!

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: 24 August 2014, 10:44:08 pm »
went for dinner with a friend at her static holiday home in swanage,

quick blat dowm the A303, down the A37 yeovil/Dorchester ,quick bimble on the A35 and then the A352 to wareham,finaly the A351 to corfe castle and into ullwell

the roads on the way back were all but empty untill yeovil,got caught in a big shower but loved the whole trip,only 145 miles round trip but great day out,im loving being back on a bike again  8)

had a niggle since being back on 2 wheels,in that my hands would go numb/tingly at random times,no set reason,they just would. tried my new gloves today,and no numbness,so glad i brought them.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: 25 August 2014, 07:12:20 am »

I had the front skimming the tarmac purely unintentionally exiting a roundabout next to M/C Megastore today - guess I was in third, didn't think I was really giving it any. So a smaller front sprocket just isn't needed on a gen 1 methinks!

Its hard to explain the mechanics of it Nick,low down a 125 will lift the front wheel, this shortens the range of acceleration from low revs to high, a smaller window of acceleration, across the gears,where its more fun,4th 5th 6th gears ,there is no need to use the last 10 mph of our bikes out put in 6th gear so this collates it a bit more near where we use the power and pull ability.

There are alot of "huh,why do that"  but dod as you are,ok,,but ask those who use their bikes on punch and brake A roads,fast,,it really gets it where you need it.
But if you go out for a Sunday pootle around, ride like a nice guy, dont ever do power,performance mods then you sure wont want to do this,
Some of us ENJOY the buzz  :lol

Did you know , the last time we rode the bends above Crossgates, i was in 5th gear most of the time :o ,we were not going fast enough to get into the power punch of the FZ1s :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: 25 August 2014, 09:49:40 am »
Did one of my Sunday loops yesterday...Glasgow...Loch Lomond...Crianlarich...Tynedrum...Glencoe...Ballachuist...Oban...Lochgilphead....Inveraray...Loch Lomond and back to Glasgow...foccin brilliant!!!