Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:44 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604801 times)

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #3000 on: 30 June 2014, 03:18:41 pm »
Had valve shims checked last week, all well within tolerance (at 34k miles) and did carb balance, at home, after.
Striped out the swinging arm, linkages and shock for general maintenance and chain & Sprocket change, only to find I don't have a socket big enough for front sprocket nut.
Ordered Flankdrive Socket and sorted someone to swap shock springs over.
All suspension/swinging arm bearings cleaned and re-packed with waterproof grease ready to reassemble once socket and shock arrive.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: 30 June 2014, 07:27:41 pm »

Got a really nice set of mole grips plus a new trolley jack for getting the noggyfighter engine out (you can never have too many tools).

Took the noggyfighter out for one last bimble......mainly to confirm that everything is fully operational before she goes into space dock.......but also to say farewell :'( ........i went some very small farm roads locally on a quest to find an elusive hilltop landmark that i have been seeing for years but never been to......mostly guessing and hoping and i finally got there.....it is called Plumbstone Mountain & looks suspiciously like a ancillary to the ancient Presseli Hills and all their iron age and older links.........then i got on to some more major coastal roads and enjoyed the sun.

On reflection i've been giving the thou a bit too much of a slating in some respects and a ride on the 600 has confirmed this.......i am going nowhere near the same speeds on the 600 and because it is naked it feels faster......but it isnt.....on the way back i was really kicking its pan in and it takes a great deal longer to get to the tonne.........where i like it over the thou is the reach on the bars which is natural and the front end is very light and adjustable......i can lightly hold the 600 bars and hold the weight of the bike on my crotch and legs but on the thou i am forced forward and onto the bars and this makes a light touch much more difficult.

The 600 is also much more neutral mid corner.......very confidence inspiring.....i hope that is just the shock needing sorting out.

I came home and parked noggyfighter out the back.....applied plenty penetrating oil on the hot exhaust studs and turned off the key.......farewell noggyfighter :(
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: 30 June 2014, 08:03:15 pm »

Got a really nice set of mole grips plus a new trolley jack for getting the noggyfighter engine out (you can never have too many tools).

Took the noggyfighter out for one last bimble......mainly to confirm that everything is fully operational before she goes into space dock.......but also to say farewell :'( ........i went some very small farm roads locally on a quest to find an elusive hilltop landmark that i have been seeing for years but never been to......mostly guessing and hoping and i finally got there.....it is called Plumbstone Mountain & looks suspiciously like a ancillary to the ancient Presseli Hills and all their iron age and older links.........then i got on to some more major coastal roads and enjoyed the sun.

On reflection i've been giving the thou a bit too much of a slating in some respects and a ride on the 600 has confirmed this.......i am going nowhere near the same speeds on the 600 and because it is naked it feels faster......but it isnt.....on the way back i was really kicking its pan in and it takes a great deal longer to get to the tonne.........where i like it over the thou is the reach on the bars which is natural and the front end is very light and adjustable......i can lightly hold the 600 bars and hold the weight of the bike on my crotch and legs but on the thou i am forced forward and onto the bars and this makes a light touch much more difficult.

The 600 is also much more neutral mid corner.......very confidence inspiring.....i hope that is just the shock needing sorting out.

I came home and parked noggyfighter out the back.....applied plenty penetrating oil on the hot exhaust studs and turned off the key.......farewell noggyfighter :(
Love those pics of Pembrokeshire Hills/mountains!

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: 30 June 2014, 09:24:00 pm »
A Sad day for the Noggyfighter - however a good day for mine  :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: 30 June 2014, 09:26:48 pm »
Fucking hell Noggy, i got a tear in my eye now  :'(

good luck with the future boyo !!! :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: 30 June 2014, 09:29:06 pm »
Polished the header pipes
Rexr.

Keep it simple......stupid..!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: 30 June 2014, 09:54:44 pm »
Cassington Bike Night.

I know I parked it here somewhere...

Don't know if any of ours; were you there?

A couple that caught my eye:

And if you were the guy on the red FZ1 who ran out of petrol on your mates bike, hope you got sorted - your mate needs a slap!  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: 30 June 2014, 10:41:25 pm »
did'nt see yours nick...do you know where mine is... :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: 30 June 2014, 10:44:38 pm »
more pics...

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: 30 June 2014, 11:00:06 pm »

Any day a 600 has its last trip is a sad day, but since it will become an organ donor, it will help  to keep many others on the road  :)

Many a perfectly good bolt head and nut have been mangled by the trusty mole grip.  :'(
To be used as a last resort and not as a multi spanner  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: 01 July 2014, 06:54:42 pm »

Started stripping the noggyfighter in the sun this afternoon.......it started raining so i packed everything away...then the rain stopped about 5 minutes after i packed up......so i thought foc it and took the dog out for a walk i stead.......ill do some more tomorrow.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: 01 July 2014, 09:35:19 pm »
A beautiful evening for a gentle ride to Uffington White Horse Hill.
Parked up at the the little gravelled car park half way up the hill after following a rough single track lane

Then took a stroll up to the top of the hill

Oh shit, that looks steep and I've got to ride down it in a minute

And now see, I'm gonna ejicate ya

But so peaceful up here; a perfect summer's evening, hardly anyone around. Just the evocative sound of the skylarks. Barely a breath of breeze.

Quiet.

Empty.

Silent....

VARUUUMMMMM!!!!

until I started my bike up!  :evil   :lol

Oxfordshire country cottage

One more mortgage payment and it's mine!  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: 01 July 2014, 09:37:03 pm »
did'nt see yours nick...do you know where mine is... :lol

Sorry Paul, guess who forgot to take his mobile....who me? Never!  :lol
Didn't stop that long, but that field full of bikes sure was a sight.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: 01 July 2014, 09:50:18 pm »

Nice pics of the hill fort Nick......I'm no historian but i have a real fascination with hill forts, i find them very mystical...mostly because not much remains of them and there hasn't been much coverage of the iron age on tv and films like with the medieval stuff.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: 01 July 2014, 10:02:05 pm »
Couple more just for you then Noggy

Looking down on the smaller fort, you stand atop the topmost bank which surrounds an almost perfectly flat, square-ish grassed enclosure at the very crown of the hill, maybe 50m across.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: 01 July 2014, 10:14:21 pm »
Wow...really stunning....must have been some splendour in its day...the amount of earth they moved to create the forts with only basic tools is amazing..

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: 01 July 2014, 10:20:39 pm »
Yeh.good night this year...I'll be at luggershall next monday, fairly new event that gets better each year. Got to take advantage of these long summer evenings  ;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: 01 July 2014, 11:07:56 pm »

Started stripping the noggyfighter in the sun this afternoon.......it started raining so i packed everything away...then the rain stopped about 5 minutes after i packed up......so i thought foc it and took the dog out for a walk i stead.......ill do some more tomorrow.

Looks like it does not want to be stripped and is looking for divine intervention :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: 01 July 2014, 11:19:02 pm »
Replaced the  front and rear brake pads on the Fazer 400.
Removed the suspension arm to check it, all ok, regreased it and put it all back together.
Set the tyre pressures to 32 and 36 after fitting tyres to it over the weekend. :)
Hope to have it all cleaned up for a spin Thursday, then change the oil when I return and it will be ready for its first sale viewing by a Foccer on Monday night. :)

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: 02 July 2014, 05:03:37 pm »
Not technically just today [been doing this project on and off since last friday], fitted an UTCOMP trip computer.

Records mpg, 0-60, temperatures etc.

Works a treat - need to tweak the VSS a touch speedo out from my speedotuner calibrated speed by 4%.

Also need to alter the injection flowrate up from 205cc/min to 235cc/min (i rough guessed, but found a site that suggests Denso injected big yams are the second flowrate).

Need to tidy up the loom too.

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: 02 July 2014, 05:38:44 pm »
Dry washed it.......
Rexr.

Keep it simple......stupid..!!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: 02 July 2014, 06:22:58 pm »
Not technically just today [been doing this project on and off since last friday], fitted an UTCOMP trip computer.

I have to ask, Why? :)

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: 02 July 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

I have to ask, Why? :)

Because the fuel gauge is rubbish and i'll be able to get it to give me a far more accurate range etc.  Useful, as I will be off to Europe next month and want to know how far I really have before I run out, rather than what the poxy gauge tells me.

A preliminary run with it also shows consumption is similar at 70mph, at 80mph and at 90mph - presumable because the engine is coming on cam and getting much better volumetric efficiency as it develops more torque as revs increase and this cancels out the squaring of drag.

A bloody good technical exercise too, cheap at £55, and I can always remove it with out to much fuss (superseal plugs).

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: 02 July 2014, 09:04:54 pm »
Managed to find the code on my nitron shock....on the spring......at the front out of sight and barely readable/slightly worn off......got the head torch through a tiny gap in the frame and got the code and good old Nitron were able to advise that it is indeed the correct spring for a man of my calibre ;) .

Got some penetrating fluid on the rebound adjustor......tomorrow ill take the right hand foot peg assembly off so i can get a proper grip on the dial.

Stripped more of the 600 down....getting as much as i can outta the way before i attempt getting the engine out.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: 06 July 2014, 08:12:09 pm »
Looks like im the only one doing stuff to fazers.......except riding them :rolleyes

Well...i got the engine out......gave it a wipe over with some oil........blocked all the holes........greased over the exhaust studs to stop any rust......copper greased the exposed metal.

Then i wrapped it up.......cleaned up the garden.

Washed the thou......a productive fazer day really. 8)