Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:27 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1605031 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #2075 on: 07 March 2014, 11:25:23 pm »

Finally got my crash bars on  :woot :woot

& decided im never fitting crash bars to a bike ever again :D

2 more night shifts, an oil and coolant change & i'm hopefully back on the road. 8)

They do look good though Nog!

So glad you finally got them sorted!

I saw mine in the sunlight for the first time today. My paintjob really is AWFUL!!

Still, this is England. Won't happen that much!!

cheers Andy, join the club my paint work is well dodgy too :( ...it is done in the 'functional' style.

i had to start off with the upper small bolts as otherwise they wouldnt line up but apart from that it wasnt too bad.
i rounded off one of the allen bolts though, got it half out now but i'll need another one, dont suppose you have any more lying about do you?...or do you know the size?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: 07 March 2014, 11:30:36 pm »
It's a stainless M8 Button head. The original bolt was 40mm, but I trimmed it to length for you. (What service!)

That's the tradeoff of stainless. It's always very slightly softer than the zinc coated, hardened equivalent. 

None left though, I'm afraid. If I did, you'd be more than welcome, but I only bought the exact amount!! Skinflint/efficient? You decide!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: 07 March 2014, 11:37:40 pm »
It's a stainless M8 Button head. The original bolt was 40mm, but I trimmed it to length for you. (What service!)

That's the tradeoff of stainless. It's always very slightly softer than the zinc coated, hardened equivalent. 

None left though, I'm afraid. If I did, you'd be more than welcome, but I only bought the exact amount!! Skinflint/efficient? You decide!
cheers Andy M8, i'll have a little trip to my local bike shop, im sure they'll have something suitable.

Thanks again for all the offers of help, i got there in the end & if the bike ever meets the ground again i'll be glad of it all. 8) 8)

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: 07 March 2014, 11:45:47 pm »
No trouble.

quick tip, (that the bike shop won't like),

Stainless bolts are normally WAY cheaper from hardware stores than bike shops.

Get these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/socket-button-screws-a2-stainless-steel-m8-x-25mm-pack-of-50/57762

Then sell the leftovers for a 50p each on eBay!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: 08 March 2014, 12:17:38 am »
Tidy, time for a visit to screwfix :thumbup

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: 08 March 2014, 08:09:31 am »
on the topic of going to screw fix for bolts - does anyone know what sizes are needed for the 600?

« Last Edit: 08 March 2014, 10:52:46 am by MarkWales »

Hiswitsend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: 08 March 2014, 10:08:43 am »
It's in getting a set of Avon storms fitted, off out for a couple of hundred miles familiarisation with the 600, weather wise the tyres seem a good match... Curious to see how they compare to road2s in grip and wear rate.

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: 08 March 2014, 10:36:58 am »
Try www.a2stainless.co.uk for fixings , ive used them a few times and found them ok.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: 08 March 2014, 11:19:51 am »
 Well not today, but over the past few days;
Fitted K&N air filter

Washed  salt and  general shite off the bike.
Polished plastic bits and tank.
Took for quick ride and it was misfiring , I was aware that this may be a problem because I gave the bike an over enthusiastic rinse to make sure all the salt was gone.
Plug caps off & dry electrics, apply WD40  etc.
Better but still missing.
Caps off and leave over night to dry (and a bit more WD)
Next day; bike runs good.
Take off brake callipers, clean, check pads for wear, check for leaks and that the pistons are free, all good, reassemble.

Going on a bimble.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: 08 March 2014, 05:01:46 pm »
Took the rack back off and put the grab rails back on , washed it , polished it , lubed the chain , used GT85 and WD40 silicone bike shine , ready for a ride tomorrow .

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: 08 March 2014, 05:06:14 pm »
brunham bends great day

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: 08 March 2014, 05:10:51 pm »
Fitted a blue spot rear caliper this afternoon.  :D

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: 08 March 2014, 05:38:30 pm »
Cleaned the worst of the winter crud off - 2 hours and many cuts later (tie wraps etc; they always getcha! I wonder if a blood sacrifice means it'll now be possessed?  :evil) it's not looking bad. A few more minor scuffs and scratches than when I bought it in June last year, but the ACF does appear to have kept things pretty good on the whole. Found a couple of stiff links on the chain, but the chap who does any work needed to it is looking into prices for a new kit - gen. fr. sprocket, black Renthal rr., and a DID X-Ring chain will be going on soon.

Then had a short blast incorporating a section of the Charlbury TT, and a nice, fast, sweeping stretch of the A44. All seems to be in good condition, not too much farm muck about. Got trounced by a Porsche on some of the tighter sections - judging by the way he committed to the corners I reckon he knew the roads much better than I did. I backed off a bit, as I need more time to become familiar with it all before I can really cut loose. Must learn this circuit better!
He was a very good driver actually, always slowing to the limit or below through the little villages and hamlets, and keeping a good distance from any cars we briefly got stuck behind, signalling his turns and all the rest - how often do you find a fast driver who's also safe like that? Great fun.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2014, 05:55:53 pm by nick crisp »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: 08 March 2014, 06:24:10 pm »
I had a brilliant Fazer sandwich, Ferrari, ME, CBR600...... we had some fun!  :)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: 08 March 2014, 06:45:48 pm »
I actually worked on it!  :eek

Pics later tonight.  :)
The Deef's apprentice

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: 08 March 2014, 06:57:17 pm »
Replaced the foccing exup cable.

Took hours. Lots of swearing. Stabbed myself with a screwdriver.

Stupid Haynes Manual. Section 4 exup cables. Remove tank (see section 2). Drain coolant (see section 3). Section 3 replace coolant. 1. Remove radiator (see section 1). I know, I'll just read the chuffing thing fr4om cover to cover shall I ?  :eek :'( :o

Even there there was foc all room for my fat fingers. Attached thin string to old cable and pulled it back through ... right up to 3/4 of the way and it came loose. Grrrrrrr!

Second cable was a bit frayed (and a bit more after I'd mucked about with it). Was going to replace both but by the time I'd messed about with the replacement of the first I'd knacked it so I ha no spare.

Next time, I'll ask the stealer to fit the darned things.

Took it out for a spin in t'Dales and it was bostin'. Plenty of bikes out too.

I even took the pushbike out for a spin as well (after I'd had a ballache fixing that).  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: 08 March 2014, 06:59:09 pm »

At last! Yes, must have pictures, about bloody time!  :thumbup

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: 08 March 2014, 07:21:39 pm »

At last! Yes, must have pictures, about bloody time!  :thumbup

Amen to that!

The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: 08 March 2014, 07:25:57 pm »
Finally gave up trying to polish my old Beowulf can and opted to spray it... and then everything from this thought onwards went badly... dropped the can (whilst it was wet) twice - should have learnt the first time

In the end I got the job done but the finish certainly isn't perfect. Thankfully the majority of imperfections are on the side of the can you can't see :D

I'm not totally happy with how it looks, BUT it does sound better - mostly noticeable at low speed / revs :)

I'll probably rip it off in a few months once the finish gets on my nerves enough and spray it over with a matte paint (this was gloss apparently, which I didn't realise until I'd started) and apply some lacquer

Many little nicks, cuts and scrapes today and a few muscle aches, but the job is done and the bike is ready for its jaunt around Middle Earth tomorrow

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: 08 March 2014, 07:48:38 pm »
Finally got out on it for a proper ride on Dartmoor after refurbing the downpipes and getting my seat back. Was my first real test of the jack up kit too, felt good. Started on the button with no hassle at all, didnt even need choke after 5 or 6 weeks of not moving. I felt really confident on it with the new upgrades and nice exhaust sound, almost too confident... I had my first proper moment today on it. Was riding along one of my favorite roads on dartmoor and must have just been going too fast. I got to a corner that I had done earlier that day in the opposite direction, but it was a much sharper in this direction. Not helpful was there was a load of dodgy gravelly crap in the road. I panicked a bit, target fixated on a grass verge that I didn't want to hit then quickly snapped out of it and braked very firmly but carefully. I was lucky nobody was coming the other way because I went into the opposite lane. I lost the front wheel a bit in the gravel but somehow managed to manhandle the bike to keep it upright. I ended up with the front wheel just touching the verge, was very scary. I didn't know whether to be so angry at myself for getting in that situation in the first place or really happy for how well I managed to handle it once I was in it. Either way, nobody was injured and nothing was damaged so I will take it as a lesson learned. Glad the bike is back up and running and the weather was great today.

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: 08 March 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

Repainted the rear hugger Back instead of Silver

Repainted the pillion handles Black instead of Blue

Replaced standard bars with Black Renthal 755's

Trialed the idea of a half black tank

and later trialed the fairing
« Last Edit: 08 March 2014, 07:53:20 pm by MarkWales »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: 08 March 2014, 08:18:30 pm »
Finally got out on it for a proper ride on Dartmoor after refurbing the downpipes and getting my seat back. Was my first real test of the jack up kit too, felt good. Started on the button with no hassle at all, didnt even need choke after 5 or 6 weeks of not moving. I felt really confident on it with the new upgrades and nice exhaust sound, almost too confident... I had my first proper moment today on it. Was riding along one of my favorite roads on dartmoor and must have just been going too fast. I got to a corner that I had done earlier that day in the opposite direction, but it was a much sharper in this direction. Not helpful was there was a load of dodgy gravelly crap in the road. I panicked a bit, target fixated on a grass verge that I didn't want to hit then quickly snapped out of it and braked very firmly but carefully. I was lucky nobody was coming the other way because I went into the opposite lane. I lost the front wheel a bit in the gravel but somehow managed to manhandle the bike to keep it upright. I ended up with the front wheel just touching the verge, was very scary. I didn't know whether to be so angry at myself for getting in that situation in the first place or really happy for how well I managed to handle it once I was in it. Either way, nobody was injured and nothing was damaged so I will take it as a lesson learned. Glad the bike is back up and running and the weather was great today.

Nice pics Yamazer (and no camera shake - before or after nearly binning it?  :lol ) Done one or two like that myself, glad you saved it!

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: 08 March 2014, 08:31:35 pm »
I cleaned mine then took it out and rang its neck!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: 08 March 2014, 09:41:20 pm »
Tightened chain and managed to badly scratch visor. Luckily they're off centre of visual line  :'(
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: 08 March 2014, 09:54:04 pm »
Replaced the foccing exup cable.

Took hours. Lots of swearing. Stabbed myself with a screwdriver.

Stupid Haynes Manual. Section 4 exup cables. Remove tank (see section 2). Drain coolant (see section 3). Section 3 replace coolant. 1. Remove radiator (see section 1). I know, I'll just read the chuffing thing fr4om cover to cover shall I ?  :eek :'( :o

Even there there was foc all room for my fat fingers. Attached thin string to old cable and pulled it back through ... right up to 3/4 of the way and it came loose. Grrrrrrr!

Second cable was a bit frayed (and a bit more after I'd mucked about with it). Was going to replace both but by the time I'd messed about with the replacement of the first I'd knacked it so I ha no spare.

Next time, I'll ask the stealer to fit the darned things.

Took it out for a spin in t'Dales and it was bostin'. Plenty of bikes out too.

I even took the pushbike out for a spin as well (after I'd had a ballache fixing that).  :lol

Fit them from the top down, much easier and a lot quicker  :)